Jailed Teacher in Qatar!

inmortus

Post by inmortus »

I don't think "Being an IB school" necessarily says anything about a school. Sure, it "can" say something, but it doesn't "necessarily" have to; at least not in practical terms in the real world.

Schools choose to be IB for a variety of reasons, including the fact that having the IB logo in the school's website and advertisements "looks good". Sure, some decide to "be" IB, but some just want to use it as a selling point.

What does the IB care about? The IB cares about the Standards and Practices. That's the list of criteria they check in schools, and that's it. If a school "is" IB, it merely means they went through the authorization process, and were successful in implementing the required standards and practices; at least on paper. That's it. Whether the IB is "supposed" to mean something else, that's another matter entirely.

Would they care about this? Probably not; not in the sense at least of considering revoking authorization to this school. It's not their problem (again, I'm not saying how it should be but simply how it actually is). It's simply none of their business in the sense that their business is providing a framework schools have to follow to "be" IB, and then check on this via paperwork and site visits, and offering training (all of which generate significant revenue). That's it, plain and simple. And, let's not forget it is a business; as someone else already posted: does anyone know any school whatsoever that has been revoked its IB status? Different question now: how many schools do you know that are authorized IB schools and are really far away from a proper implementation of whatever program they have?

I am happy to see this teacher being released. I am shocked about what happened to him. But I can't say I am totally surprised. In the international world, the fact is that wherever you go you are not a local, you are not playing by your rules, and this leads to a great potential for these kind of things. Maybe not going to jail, but I am sure we can all provide examples of teachers who have been unfairly treated, or sacked from schools without having been given many options...
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

He's just arrived back in Kathmandu.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

[quote="Dawson"]

Furthermore, it's teachers like you that decide these things are just fine that really scare me. If you were wrongly imprisoned in a foreign country would you want doers (ones contacting people, posting to FB and getting the word out) or would you be fine if people just shrugged their shoulders and said "hmmm, we don't know the whole story". You sound like a really good team member to have on board (sarcasm).[/quote]

Heavens, Dawson, you have very poor critical reading and thinking skills. Actually, poor basic reading skills as well.

Where did I say, or even imply, that the situation was "just fine?"

I would indeed prefer that perfect strangers with their righteous indignation on overdrive not get involved if they don't have all the facts at hand. I just don't think it does much good. The case has been resolved, apparently, and the teacher is headed home. I doubt because of Facebook.

Being a good team member is very important to me. But my "team" is my school--admin, teachers, support staff--not faceless, anonymous people on a public forum.
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

This whole episode is just more justification for dealing with schools defensively - in other words, do them before they do you.

Gurung sounds like a fine and honest man but he's like throwing pearls before swine. His former student is a witness to this. Because Gurung cared so much, he was bullied by his students and the school, as expected, did nothing to help him.

When I was in Kuwait, I had students that sound much like the ilk described at Qatar Academy - rich, lazy and entitled with the worst case, most confrontational parents you can imagine. Once I realized the type of trashy students I was dealing with, I inflated their grades and tied their continued success to behavior. I can't say that their behavior was good but it was manageable and, when all is said and done, I earned a high salary for doing next to nothing.

Obviously Gurung was too good for Qatar Academy but that's only because he cared too much. Qatar Academy deserves teachers like me, who don't give a shit for shitty students and know how to enjoy a big easy.
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

"Heavens, Dawson, you have very poor critical reading and thinking skills. Actually, poor basic reading skills as well.

Where did I say, or even imply, that the situation was "just fine?"

I'm actually a very good reader and my critical thinking skills are just fine. You wrote that we don't have the whole story and IMPLIED that you weren't that upset about the situation (as if you were shrugging it off since it wasn't anybody you know). For any of those who have worked in countries like Kuwait or Qatar we knew exactly what happened (spoiled, rich kid with no sense of right and wrong gets pissed off at a teacher trying to make a difference and who refused to be put in his place then uses wasta to get the teacher in big trouble). There's not another side to the story, THAT is the story. So, I refer to my original point - you didn't appear to upset by this and if I were in this situation I would want people to get worked up and take action, not the kind of post you had. I don't know you, but based on your reaction to this situation I hope I never do meet you.
lifeisnotsobad

Post by lifeisnotsobad »

@higgsbosom...chicken and the egg...perhaps schools like Qatar Academy believe they can behave in this way because of teachers like you? You talk of 'trashy students' and yet openly admit that you are a trashy teacher, and one who appears to be somewhat lazy and entitled (if not rich).

I am not too sure how you can judge anyone else, when I think you are a big part of the problem...

Just to ensure that this post does not go too far off the topic, I do believe that it is possible to be supportive of Gurung (through Facebook, petitions etc) and still deal with the facts that we know...as opposed to making assumptions about what we don't know.

Fact = Gurung was arrested and needed to be released. I do believe that Qatar is impacted by the adverse publicity that this generated. If I was in Gurung's position I would certainly be comforted by the fact that there were people who were working to ensure that I did not just disappear off the radar.
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

lifesucks misrepresents: [quote] You talk of 'trashy students' and yet openly admit that you are a trashy teacher,[/quote]

What I said was, given trash students, I do a shitty job. I think I made that clear with the "Pearls before swine" comment, a Biblical reference obviously lost on you.

The fact is that while the sainted Gurung spent weeks in prison and only got out thanks to the intervention of the international community, myself included by the way, the bad higgsboson avoided prison and saved a big chunk of money.

And really what did I do that was so wrong? I only gave the rich twats what they wanted anyway, all As and Bs, and probably taught them something about life: if you do nothing else but behave properly, you just might get over in this world.

Life may such for you, lifesucks, but it doesn't have to suck for everyone else.
lifeisnotsobad

Post by lifeisnotsobad »

@higgsbosom...funny...but sad. I think you have shown on numerous occasions that you don't really care whether the students are 'rich twats' or not.

Perhaps you should also try to follow the doctrine that 'if you do nothing else but behave properly, you just might get over in this world'...
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

Higgs: Sadly you are what is wrong with international education. To think that you actually think you somehow "taught" your students is even more despicable.
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

Dawson Moans: [quote]Higgs: Sadly you are what is wrong with international education. To think that you actually think you somehow "taught" your students is even more dethpicable.[/quote]

What did they learn from Gurung? They learned that their bullying ways pay off whereas in my classroom, where given that ilk I would tie grades to behavior, they would learn cooperation pays off.

Sometimes Dawson you need to think outside whatever it was that they taught you in "teachers college" and give up on your self-righteous and holier than thou attitudes and do what works. Poor Gurung only made a bad situation worse and in so many ways.

What struck me first off was that he was in a lunch line with the little savages. In a situation like that, I wouldn't break bread with them. I'd put a huge distance between me and students like that. They were bullies and I'm guessing raised to be bullies and had years of practice bullying maids and cooks and drivers. Gurung was just one more victim to them and he gained nothing by being familiar. Like I said, it was pearls before swine.
Mike

Post by Mike »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... jFcoVci2A4#!

This is a great ending to this story!! We should all try to us
support this man and his efforts!!
Nomad68

Qatar

Post by Nomad68 »

Qatar still has its slave owning mentality - it relishes the sponsorship situation which puts expat workers at the mercy of their employers. Cross a Qatari and they will happily tell you they'll get you deported. Treatment of workers from poor countries is abysmal - maids, drivers and laborers are abused and mistreated in many ways. But little is heard because the Qatari government is very good at covering stuff up - especially stuff that might harm their image or business.

A few years back a shooting feud between members of the ruling family saw sons in the Al Thani family sent outside the country until it cooled down in fear of reprisals. I bet no one outside the country ever heard about that.

Whatever really happened that got this Nepalese teacher in trouble you can bet he probably fell foul of his students and they 'complained' and got him arrested. The Qatari students wouldn't lie, no, of course not! No one in QA's admin/management is going to risk their fat salary to speak out for the guy. I'm surprised it even got in the news.