Ruined teaching careers

Ruined teaching careers

Post by guest »

I am a national board certified teacher with experience in three overseas schools. Currently I am working in the United States. Before accepting any job, I would advise going to the school for a visit, sitting in the teachers' lounge and listen to and join in the conversations, talk to both disgruntled and satisfied teachers, THEN make your decision.
The current structure of going to fairs and having to make spur of the moment decisions can still be made to work IF you have visited your desired school previously. This is no means a guarantee, as administrators change frequently.
When I came back to the states, I worked as a substitute because after some of my experiences I was frightened. I had interviewed for and was considering an offer of another overseas assignment. But during my subbing experiences I met the administrator that I wanted to work for. I still dream of returning overseas one day, and in the right situation I might consider it. That administrator has since retired, my new administrator is different, but does not treat me unkindly.
How do some people survive and others not? Are you the type who raises your hand in the first staff meeting at the beginning of the year and questions the status quo?? Did you envision a United States school but in an overseas environment? Don't US schools have the same problems (oops, new key word now is challenge) challenges?
In most US schools, you have the option of joining a union. But the union can't always protect you, especially from hidden or discrete abuse such as: being passed over for leadership roles, favortism to teachers who tout status quo no matter how ineffective, etc.
So your school has no curriculum! Neither does mine although we have a high paid curriculum director. I don't mind not having one as my bag of tricks is quite extensive, but what I do mind is PRETENDING to have one.
So your school is accredited. Big deal. During an overseas accrediation visit, we had to hide lesson plan books and were told what to say and do. If you express your concern, you get in trouble, but the school still still receives a good review. Same thing happened here, when the department of education visited my school.
So your administrator has no interpersonal skills. Find one that has. Follow him/her to their different posts. Many overseas schools would welcome teachers personally recommended by a new director.
No academic standards? Same thing in the US with social promotion. I did an experiment. I gave failing grades to all students who did no work. I came under attack. I then deduced that grades were meaningless, and gave everyone "A's". I'm a good teacher now. Keep your own data, pre and post test students, make fancy graphs, when your teaching effectiveness comes under attack present your data.
I saw many teachers who failed to integrate into the school or community. Never bothered to learn the language or interact with locally hired staff. Had no outside interests besides school. This is the best formula for dissatisfaction.
You are not protected by a collective bargaining unit. However, many countries have their own libel or workers courts. I was briefly "fired" at one international school and made an appointment with a judge in the workers' court. He handed me a tissue to wipe my tears and asked me how much money I wanted. I said I wanted my job back as I was unjustly "fired". He said it was the first time such a request had been made. I got my job back, the rotten administrator moved on to another school, (he was later fired from his director position), and I enjoyed the remainder of my experience.
A friend of mine just got back from an overseas post. Her former administrator's lack of recommendation is preventing her from securing employment even though she has had many successful placements in the past and is highly qualified. This puts teachers in an awkward position. You either have to stick it out until the adminstrator changes so you can get a good recommendation from your most recent employer or risk not being able to get another postition. Administrators are shuffled from one place to another in the good old boy network. There is no way for teachers to give their evaluations.
I think some of the stories people have would make a good book. I've had some wild and crazy adventures. When I move to a country then one of the following things has happened: general strike, war, currency devaluation, violent elections, etc. If you are in a stable country, make sure I don't come!!
Don't get discouraged even if you are surrounded by awful politics. Create an island of excellence in your classroom. That island will be noticed by others.
guest12

Post by guest12 »

you are an inspiring person. It makes me feel like I just need a swift kick in the ass and get back on the horse again. thanks!
Nutella

Post by Nutella »

Amen to that.
I second that opinion.

In the end, despite the ups and downs of overseas teaching, I miss it.
Once you get a better understanding of what it really means to teach in international schools, you tell yourself you will be more realistic and careful.
womanofmeans

Where were you when I was looking for staff?

Post by womanofmeans »

Thanks for the valuing of learning and teaching as well as upholding a standard. I get discouraged as a principal and would love to have you working for me...maybe in a Charter school?
John

womanofmeans

Post by John »

womanofmeans are you in the USA or elsewhere ?