Moving to Shanghai????

tdaley26

Moving to Shanghai????

Post by tdaley26 »

At about this time last year I was a US teacher who had just accepted a position at an international school in Shanghai (Pudong). I was given a lot of good advice and tips from people on this forum and I thought I would post to say that if anyone is presently in the same boat I was........ ask away!!
tdaley26

Post by tdaley26 »

As far as personal effects go, everything that you would expect to find in a typical western department store can be found here. If you are particular about specific brands of say, toiletry items, then best bring some from home.
My school is very well resourced, so bringing teaching supplies was not needed, other than making scanned copies of some resources that I knew I would use. Most major airlines have good connections to Shanghai, it kinda depends on where you are flying from. I used Hainan from North America because the baggage allowance was better and the fee for extra bags was lower.
Food safety: Generally the western style supermarkets are safe. It's the local wet markets that can sometimes be sketchy, some of them I won't even enter, but others I go to all the time for meat and veg. For a time we stopped eating chicken, but have now been told by our Ayi that it is safe again. In the US we had the occasional food scare also. High quality goods are more expensive here than in the west. High end electronics, designer label clothing, top quality shoes etc are all imported from the west and so are more costly. The Chinese tend to mass produce lower quality items, so the cheap Chinese stuff you used to buy at walmart is even cheaper here.

Tips:
1. Unless you are single get an Ayi and have her cook for you. This sounds like an expense, but actually will save you money. Plus coming home to a cleaned apartment is awesome.
2. Develop a tolerance for crowds. Shanghai is a busy busy place.
3. Buy a scooter or bike when you get here( they are cheap). The metro is very convenient, but to run errands nothing beats your own set of wheels, plus you'll get oriented to the locale quicker.
4. In your first week, learn where a nearby hospital with a good vip or international section is, chances are you will get sick your first month or so here due to the change in water food or air, and you will want to know in advance where to go for your medical needs.
5. If you have large feet or are a larger person, be prepared for the fact that clothing or shoes will be hard to find. It's possible, just takes more effort.

I live in Pudong, so if you are headed there also, I could give you more info about that. If you are headed to a different area, I prolly wouldnt be much help!!! If you have any other questions fire away!!
tdaley26

Post by tdaley26 »

[quote="Pippafrit"]Another question, should I bring my laptop or is it better to get one in China? Also I gather the "great Chinese firewall" is an issue. I've heard of VPD's do I need one, can I get one there? If I have one can I use Facebook, Blog etc? Is it possible to use FaceTime and Skype? Thanks again.[/quote]

You will need a VPN to access some sites. That being said they are easy to get and install. I use astrill and it costs about $75 a year. You can get laptops here, but the cheaper ones will have an operating system in chinese. By the time you pay for english software you would have been better bringing yours from home. A laptop with an english os will be more expensive here than in north america.
I use Facebook, skype with family and youtube etc. with no problems.
wanderluzt

Moving to China

Post by wanderluzt »

HI, here is my two cents about coming to China and what to bring. I have a small daughter so that impacts what I have to say. I am not in Beijing or Shanghai but I am in a large city. This is also my first time being overseas, which will also impact my opinion of what to bring.

If you have a shipping allowance, use it all to bring things you like/need over on the airplane.
There is no such thing as the Learning Store or Lakeshore near me. For example simple things like cut out letters that you can find in Dollar Tree are not available here. Cute borders? Nope.
If you like it bring it. While it may be in a western store near where you live, it will take a while for you to figure out which stores have what and where to buy things.
Easing into the culture is easier if you have some of the comforts you are used to. And while it may be in the western stores it is more expensive. Use your shipping allowance.
Your bed sheets from home will not fit the beds, don't bother. If you have some towels that you like, bring them.
If you use Tampons, bring them. They have 50 different kids of pads but no tampons (sometimes available in western stores).
Ikea is not far and they have some stuff for you.
Very Important (and you probably already know) if it says it is made in CHina back in the states, the likelihood that you can get it here in China is VERY SLIM. Things that are made here and stay here, break very easily. Staplers made in CHina are not very good, etc. You can get many of the items from Hong Kong, for a price.
Buy your computer from home and get a VPN, I have Astrill as well, I also have another one, WiTopia. The VPN will allow you to stream Netflix, Skype and get on FB.
Remember some of your plugs will not usually work here (but there are adaptors).
If you are larger than normal for CHina, it is hard to find things in your size BUT they have great tailors that can make whatever you want for you. Not so sure about shoes. If you are over 8.5 foot size, good luck.
Some teacher resources and children's books you can get on amazon china, not all though. If you use it, bring it.
Definitely get an ayi! Worth their weight in gold.
We are not eating ANY chicken, just recently the . was discovered here. We are buying all meat from the western shop until at least next school year.
Our fresh fruits and veggies are form a local wet market.
Bring all medicine you need and want. Aleve, Tylenol, Midol, Flu medicine like Thera Flu, NyQuil, Halls, and ALL children's medicine.
If you have a prescription, tell your doctor that you will be leaving for at least a year and to write you a prescription for that long (or as long as he/she will allow it). CVS worked with us and we were able to get 6 months advance for ours. We then went to the local doctor and we got the medicine here. Obviously there is medicine in China there is comfort in knowing that you have what you need on hand in the middle of the night.
I will answer more questions if you have them.
I love being here (just really stocking up when we go home again).
tdaley26

Tampons

Post by tdaley26 »

Since I don't use em, I didn't write about em. My wife informs me that she can get them at Carrefour and at Lotus supermarkets.
Mick Travis

Moving to Shanghai

Post by Mick Travis »

Also don't forget

- bags of proper filter coffee if you drink it

- a few crates of nice French wine

- western sized condoms

- pith helmet (veil optional)

- tonic water

- Colman's mustard/orange marmalade (if you are a Brit - I don't know what nostalgia foodstuffs the North Americans go for.)
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

I have switched to eating oatmeal in the morning, but my friends who eat cold cereal stock up every trip back to North America. Corn Flakes are reasonably priced but anything with any flavour will cost you an arm and a leg.

Bring a good can opener.

Definitely don't wait to buy your electronics here, they will cost you your other arm and leg. If you are an Apple user and want to stream then bring get a VPN and buy a Apple TV in the states, they are expensive here.

We always bring back seasonings and stuff like that but they seem to be more available than when we first arrived. Spices are readily available at places like Metro.

If I were doing this again I would think about a water filter that fits on my tap. I know its probably impossible to work that out when you haven't even been here yet but a good filter would be great.

I would also buy a good set of masks to wear on badly polluted days. YOu will need to do some investigation but you would want something to filter out the PM 2.5.

If you wear big shoes sizes then bring them with you.

Over the counter medications you tend to use a lot. Playing charades gets old when you are not feeling well.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

Mick is suggesting smuggling with the wine. I doubt you can convince customs it is cleaning fluid.....And tonic water..really??? I can buy that at ANY supermarket in Shanghai, unless you hate Schwepps.

Electronics are cheaper if you buy locally made stuff. It is a matter of recognizing quality. There is plenty of rubbish though. They do use the exact same blue print used for the 'made' in USA stuff which is really just put together in the states.

And Chinese medicine has actual cures for the common cold and flu, so it will be better to take those. One of the commonly used herbs in the medicine is an antiviral.

The things you will really need to bring are any Clothing and footwear if you are extra big, seasonings, XL condoms and deodorant. All of this you can find in Shanghai, but not so easily. Tailors are relatively cheap on our salary scale, and a good shoe maker can be found. Prescription meds you need to bring, unless you speak enough Chinese or chemistry to find similar meds here.

Everything else mentioned is a matter of paying for it. They are all available in supermarkets that cater to westerners and upper class Chinese like city shop and to a lesser degree Carrefour. If you have room in your bag, no harm bringing it.

A water filter is a great idea, and we were actually going to bring one in our third year, but we left it at home :(
AnnieT

Post by AnnieT »

Wondering about these men that feel they need XL Condoms? :oops: :oops: :shock:
Mick Travis

Moving to Shanghai

Post by Mick Travis »

My post was satire in part, though obviously too subtle to be noticed.

I'm not claiming to be Mr Integration here, but these posts that itemize western products to make life comfortable in the East make me laugh and scorn a little. Aren't we international teachers for the challenge of adapting to other cultures, even 'going native?'

Yes I suppose tampons and other medical/sanitary kit is near essential, but electronic goods, favourite foodstuffs, shopping in Carrefour and all that other stuff is all a bit post-colonial, no?

My tale of 'ardship, living in a horrible provincial Chinese city a decade ago may seem a bit like the Four Yorkshiremen' Monty Python sketch. but honestly, living Chinese-style without coffee, western food, digital goods, sit down toilet etc... actually made it more comfortable living in China.
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

"Aren't we international teachers for the challenge of adapting to other cultures, even 'going native?'"

We all teach overseas for different reasons.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

When I was 28 I lived in a small provision city in China with a squat toilet, a 7 pound kids blow up sofa, no heating and no kitchen and it was a great adventure. Now I'm mid-forties with a young family and I like to know what's coming.