Too many degrees?

Open Communication

Too many degrees?

Post by Open Communication »

edited.
Last edited by Open Communication on Thu May 30, 2013 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
pgrass

Post by pgrass »

Schools don't tend to distinguish between having one masters or having more than one. You will get the same salary.

If having more than one was actually an issue then just tell them you have one.

Common sense really, which I guess you don't learn in a masters prgoramme.
sid

Post by sid »

It's going to vary from school to school. Some offer higher pay for a second degree, or even for 30 graduate credits that don't add up to a degree. Generally, if they do offer more, they are willing to hire people with more degrees. If they can't afford to offer more, they don't put it in their policy.
So I don't generally see it as a problem, but some bottom tier schools might avoid you because they might not have figured out how not to offer you more money, or because they will feel someone with multiple degrees will not be a good fit for their questionable institution.
And some of the better schools will be quite chuffed to find someone with multiple degrees.
Open Communication

Post by Open Communication »

edited.
Last edited by Open Communication on Thu May 30, 2013 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
grumpy

Post by grumpy »

It will not make a difference about the number of Master's degrees you have. Not with any school I have dealt with. One or five, no difference.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I have to agree with Sid, its not really an issue. If a school values masters or advance degrees and recognizes the added value of more then one it will be in their salary/step policy. If a school doesnt it simply wont be in their policy. I have yet to find a school that really has a problem with saying "sorry, no".

What you can do is negotiate steps for more then one masters degrees. A school will typically have a scale for Bachelors and a scale for advance degrees, if you have more then one masters you could ask the school to consider that as being worth a step or two in experience.