Green School in Bali ?/What's up ?

missy

Green School in Bali ?/What's up ?

Post by missy »

I was reading the reviews on here about this school. They don't sound good at all.
Then I did a Google search on this school and found a lengthy forum
of back and forth discussion where one person was saying the school's infrastructure was awful and then recent posts saying that this has all improved.
Two questions:
1)Does anyone have any current updates about Green School in Bali ?
2) What is it like to live in Bali ? Clean or dirty beaches ?
Great food ? Mosoon season etc...etc.. ?

Thanks.
Open Communication

Post by Open Communication »

edited.
Last edited by Open Communication on Thu May 30, 2013 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

I've heard that it kind of had a rough start a few years back. Nice architecture and an idealistic owner make up only a small part of a successful educational setting. Last I checked, a few years back, the reviews on the pay site were pretty negative. Last year when I was in Bali, I met someone who was finishing up a one year internship there. She acknowledged it's past, but said that things were getting a lot better. If you are young, looking for adventure, and don't need the savings, it would be a great place to get your feet wet. Bali is one of those places I go back to every year, not to mention all the other islands close by. The only problem I can see is that once you actually move to paradise, it can no longer be your paradise. :-)
missy

Post by missy »

Open Communication = The beaches in Bali can be absolutely filthy with trash, especially during rainy season so I don't bother with them anymore. You wouldn't believe it.

Wow ! Is that really true about the beaches in Bali ? Here I was imagining
beautiful, crystal clear blue beaches !
Also, since you've done a tour of this school, is it far away from grocery stores, pharmacies, etc ... ?

nikkhor= The only problem I can see is that once you actually move to paradise, it can no longer be your paradise. :-)

Just wondering what you mean by this sentence ?
teacherguy

Post by teacherguy »

Missy-

You won't be living on, or near, the beaches of Bali. Green school is about 20-30 minutes from Ubud, which is inland in the more "mountainous" part of Bali. Teachers live in Ubud, which is a small and touristy city/town. (More like a collection of villages around a tourist central area.) Staff no longer live on campus.

Bali has a long rainy season. Pretty much October/November to March/April. There are a few months in there where it rains A LOT.

If you have questions about Green School please email me: teacherguy1(at)gmx.com I'll be happy to try to answer them.
missy

Post by missy »

Teacherguy-will be sending you an email via gmail tonight.
Open Communication

Post by Open Communication »

edited.
Last edited by Open Communication on Thu May 30, 2013 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

nikkhor= The only problem I can see is that once you actually move to paradise, it can no longer be your paradise. :-)

Just wondering what you mean by this sentence ?[/quote]

Simply, once you move somewhere you think of as paradise, it becomes normal, and therefore ceases to be paradise.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Eat, Pray, Love really over inflated the lifestyle in Bali. The biggest misconception people have of Green School is that its on the beach. The area is kind of small and rural. Youd have to be really dedicated to make it to the beach and teven then youd spend a lot of money getting access to one of the private resort beaches that are kept groomed. Otherwise most of the public accessible beaches and areas are pretty bad and can look like a cruise ship just dumped its trash just off the beach.

It rains a lot in Bali, but in some ways im glad it does because during most of the year its just "hot" all the time and the rain brings some coolness (which without it would be hot and muggy).

Unless your a die hard devoted outdoors beach and sun worshiper, Bali can get pretty boring actually. All the stuff to do is mostly focused on tourists who have money to spend. Eating out is pretty much a national past time and sitting by a pool or in a cafe just lazily spending time doing nothing is a popular activity. Doing anything outside really is an invitation for getting rained out or heat stroke.