At what age?

chilagringa

At what age?

Post by chilagringa »

Just curious...

At what age did all of you enter the international teaching world?

I wonder what would be the average? 20s? 30s? 40s? Is there any benefit to starting earlier or later?
overseasvet2

Post by overseasvet2 »

30s. Sometimes wish I had waited to earn a pension at home but the adventures I would have missed!
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

I started at 26 as an ESL teacher and I wish I had started at 22 right out of university instead of wasting 4 years teaching in America. Having said that, my first non-esl international school job did require 2 years stateside teaching.

Start as soon as possible. The world is a big place and you only have limited time to see it. As far as retirement, I stopped worrying about that after teaching in Thailand.
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

I started when I was 27. I wasted a few years cover teaching in the US and then a few years teaching EFL in Asia before my "real teaching" began a few years ago. Start as soon as possible - I wish I had started earlier.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Early 50s. This was the fulfillment of a long-time dream, which I should have done while I was between dogs. My last dog lived a long life so I let her live out her life before making my move. Now I'm preparing to retire and am glad I have the years of service in my home state so I will get a full pension.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

42 (I'm now 44). I didn't get my B.Ed. until I was 40. I did a four year stint as an ESL teacher in in my early thirties and spent some time at university in Asia. I've been overseas for 15 years. I left the my home country in 1998.

I should have got my teaching license when I was 30, not 40.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Got into teaching when I was a bit older, went overseas the first time when I was 36 - it was a good time to do it. Being in my home country got me lots of experience, and because I was teaching in smaller towns/districts, I got to teach a wide variety of courses which made me much more marketable. Been overseas 7 years this time, and am switching schools next year on a new 2 year contract. Since I first went overseas, I have been 10 of the past 15 years overseas in 2 (soon to be 3!) countries.

Not sure I would have wanted to go earlier...
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Two years after college teaching ESL, then 10 teaching in US. Came out to teach at international school in mid thirties w fam.

As w most things, I probably could have tweaked that plan a bit if I had to do it over, but, it wasn't a plan, it just happened, so I'm pretty satisfied w the timing and whatnot.
Alexandru

Post by Alexandru »

I started when I was 21, right after graduating from university. Best decision of my life.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Left the US (good riddance, haven't missed it one bit) when I was 23, decided to get my credential when I was 29, and got my first international school job in my early thirties. Of course at times I wish that I had started a bit earlier instead of teaching ESL for a few years, but I had some amazing times in my twenties and probably wouldn't change much if I had to do it over again. I'll never get a pension or even social security in the US, but weighed against the life experiences I've had it's a small price to pay (if you care about money, you are in the wrong profession anyway)
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

Yeah I sound most like you, buffalofan. I taught ESL and in schools that didn't require certification, and am now back home getting my teaching credential. By the time I have a few years of at-home experience under my belt, I would be heading abroad in my mid-thirties. Sounds like that's "normal" for some people. Sure I wish I had figured things out earlier, but then I wouldn't be me, I guess.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Started teaching in Vietnam in 1970 and still teaching in Singapore at the moment. Before I used to return to the states after every 3 years to teach for a year to get re-educated with what's happening in teaching. For the last 25 years I have not done that and have been overseas.

As mentioned before here, the only concern about overseas teaching is that you get so caught up in the travel and experiencing different cultures that you neglect to plan for retirement. I've met for than a few teachers who must continue to work because they just don't have enough to retire on.

Rob
SAS

Post by SAS »

Started teaching at 40 as a second career. I am about to go overseas and teach for the first time and I am mid-fifties.
jbiersteker

Post by jbiersteker »

Greetings!!

First stint when I was 24 for six years, now returning after 13 years for a second stint at the ripe old age of 44.

Thanks!!
Cee13

Post by Cee13 »

I started teaching in the US right after I graduated college. This is my 15th year in the classroom and I'm 37. Next year will be my first year teaching internationally as I've accepted a position in South America. Oh, and I don't speak Spanish 😱yet...