January Posts

Charles73

January Posts

Post by Charles73 »

My husband and I are looking for posts that start in January, what is the likelihood of getting a job then for a primary teaching couple?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Very, very, very, low. There are positions that come available in January, but the probability of a a school having two mid year vacancies BOTH in primary would be extremely unusual. Coupled primary teachers have a hard enough time during the regular recruiting season, doing so would be VERY unusual mid year.
If your serious you best option is to start differentiating yourselves now by adding an ELL and/or SPED certification, etc now that you can market your primary experience as being primary SPED/ELL, so that your more marketable and can avail yourselves of potentially greater range of vacancies. It would be HIGHLY likely that one of you would be a trailing spouse. The goal of which is to be at the school and in a position to have your trailing spouse slide into a vacancy that wont be available until August. Which would be easy to do since schools are at the peak of recruiting in January, so August vacancies would be available and known at the time you were applying for a middle year vacancy the school would need now.
Charles73

Post by Charles73 »

Thanks for the advice. It is most likely my husband starts work while I up skill in these two areas and then hope for a post in August. It is unfortunate we are looking at that time but personal circumstances have defined this. We were told there can be opportunities with some schools as new recruits sometimes pull out last minute.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes people pull out, break contract and run mid year, so there are opportunities. The problem is your looking for 2 primary positions, and at the lower tier schools where breaking contract is more common, a school would more then likely look for an already trailing spouse to fill a primary position, rather then an OSH.