New school in Kuwait

Pdm163

New school in Kuwait

Post by Pdm163 »

I just read about a brand new school opening in Kuwait come August 2013. My wife just recently asked if we should take the kids overseas and teach for a few years so I have been looking around. I have searched this forum, but I have came up empty so far.

Thanks
cdn

Post by cdn »

Kuwait doesn't have a lack of private schools, so a new one opening isn't really news. Name?
Pdm163

Post by Pdm163 »

I read about it on teach away and it only states it is a private international school opening aug 2013.

I have been trying to find recent information on teach away, but I am having a hard time.

Anyone know the cost of private schooling for a 3 year old in Kuwait city?
cdn

Post by cdn »

Dependants go for free at some of the better schools (AIS and ASK) I believe anyway. Most of the schools are for profit, so they tend to charge a slightly reduced tuition(30% maybe)

I would be wary about a brand new school. To get much done in Kuwait you need wasta, and unless the school is owned by a group with serious pull many problems can crop up.
3xlucky

Q8

Post by 3xlucky »

Greetings,

If you have any specifics about the school, even the listing I can tell you more. I am currently in Kuwait and have been for 5 years. Unfortunately, there are very few schools I would send my children to; and if it is a start up school I would be very cautious. Established schools in Kuwait are dodgy enough, let alone a new one.

Give more details and I can answer more.
Pdm163

Re: Q8

Post by Pdm163 »

[quote="3xlucky"]Greetings,

If you have any specifics about the school, even the listing I can tell you more. I am currently in Kuwait and have been for 5 years. Unfortunately, there are very few schools I would send my children to; and if it is a start up school I would be very cautious. Established schools in Kuwait are dodgy enough, let alone a new one.

Give more details and I can answer more.[/quote]

I guess concerns would be lack of admin support, resources to do the job, and low curriculum standards to name a few.

My wife has a phone interview coming up and it would be nice to have a few more questions ready. Is there anything else you can add that we could ask specifics about?
vitaminz

Post by vitaminz »

3xlucky is right. I've been in Kuwait 6 years and would only consider working for Al Bayan Bilingual School, American School of Kuwait, American International School, Universal American School, and maybe the British School of Kuwait. A new school in this country is most likely going to draw kids that can't handle the academics at other schools or are behavior problems. I'd avoid it.
Pdm163

Post by Pdm163 »

3xlucky and vitiminz,

What questions would you ask if you were interviewed to get a better understanding of the program? It sounds like the school is in the Sabah Al Salem area of Kuwait City.

What is the cost of groceries and other necessities?
3xlucky

Post by 3xlucky »

[quote="Pdm163"]3xlucky and vitiminz,

What questions would you ask if you were interviewed to get a better understanding of the program? It sounds like the school is in the Sabah Al Salem area of Kuwait City.

What is the cost of groceries and other necessities?[/quote]

Questions in an interview, well that depends on what are your needs. I would create categories: Academics/accreditation/curriculum of the school, accommodation/healthcare/settling allowance, early years program/children's tuition

1. about health care, if they say you have gov't coverage that stinks. Unless you can speak Arabic and you want to go to the craziest hospitals ever! If they don't offer Health Insurance for you and a dependent(s) I would walk away.

2. ask about the school's curriculum, your teaching load, preps, etc. Ask about accreditation and where they are in their process and who they are looking to be accredited by. Ask about your teaching load, new schools will often make you teach multiple preps as their population is low and will need lots of holes filled.

3. You have children, so, unless they are getting full funding at the school you work at, what's the point of coming international. Private schools in Kuwait are expensive and if it comes out of your salary you will struggle to get by.

4. Ask if Accommodation is provided, if it is a stipend, it needs to be near 500KD in order to get a decent place that is more than 2 bedroom. If they do provide, make sure it has basic furnishings and then ask about a settling in payment.

5. Make sure flights to and from home are included for your entire family.

6. Salary: if you are not going to be paid more than 750KD, living will be tight on one salary. My wife and I both teach have 2 kids (2.5 and almost 1) with a day nanny who comes 5 days a week, pay a small mortgage at home, pay for my Master's and a little bit of savings, granted, combined we make just over 1600KD a month. If you want to tutor, you can double your income.

Cost of living: It is rising in Kuwait. If you are fine with local meats, vegetable and corner restaurants it is reasonable. For a family of four we spend probably 150 to 200 KD a month on food. It varies (stupid diapers). On top of that we have internet, cell phones and a car. I highly recommend getting a car they are inexpensive to by used and gas is cheap, although, be warned the driving can be hectic at times.

Here are some links that have some ideas of basics:

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co ... rrency=KWD the KD is broken down into 1000 fils....so .40 = 400 fils.
http://www.csb.gov.kw/Socan_Statistic_EN.aspx?ID=19 this is a link to Kuwait statistics. Check out the Consumer Price Index. Since 2006, food has gone up almost 40%.

Any other questions, ask away.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

The name of the school is the American University School of Kuwait (NOT UAS, Universal American School, which has been around a long time).

It is new, looking for admin and teachers.

Saw it posted on TIEonline, it had a crapload of openings.
Pdm163

Post by Pdm163 »

3xlucky, thanks for the feedback

It looks like the package meets the minimum you are saying and then some. I need to ask about the health insurance. It looks like the minimum is around 800 kd and I have 4 years experience and my wife has 10 with a masters.

I have never thought about the type of housing offered. When I worked for a contractor in Iraq, we lived in metal buildings with a bathroom and I thought that was awesome. What are typical living arrangements for a family? Yes, they are provided.
3xlucky

Post by 3xlucky »

[quote="Pdm163"]What are typical living arrangements for a family? Yes, they are provided.[/quote]

Greetings.

I would say the living conditions are good. Most schools try and give families a 3 bedroom place (except for my school). I would ask where the accommodation is located. If it is close to your school the Sabah Al Salem area is relatively new, it is very much like a suburb. Some areas are complete some still with dirt lots. But, if you have been in Iraq you will be use to a large dirt lot next to a building. If it is far away, ask how long they will provide transportation. I am pretty sure that the labor law states that transportation must be provided.
snowgrl

Re: New school in Kuwait

Post by snowgrl »

Hi. Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've had an interview with this school and I can't find reviews on it anywhere. I wonder if anyone has worked here who can tell me what they think about it?

ADMIN NOTE: Please do not post evaluation type material to the FORUM. A discussion of physical make up of school, location, cost of living, make up of student body, etc is fine. Evaluating the performance of admin, assigning tier ratings, etc., is evaluation type material and belongs in the member area of the site. If you have extensive information on this school you might post here that you have posted a review to the member area of the site so that this poster can be alerted to the review.

Thanks for your cooperation
vitaminz

Re: New school in Kuwait

Post by vitaminz »

This school is backed by the royal family. It has the best facilities of any school in Kuwait. They charge the highest tuition and also pay their staff the highest salaries for any American or bilingual schools. Currently only goes up to 10th grade. This will be the top school in Kuwait if it can get US embassy school status within the coming years. Even without that it is going to eventually surpass everyone else. The staff is made up of mostly Americans recruited at the Atlanta fair.