A Few Random Cambridge Fair Questions

hmmmm

A Few Random Cambridge Fair Questions

Post by hmmmm »

I understand the importance of being professionally attired for Friday and Saturday (and possibly Sunday) for the interview sign up and the actual interviews, but what is the consensus on Thursday when it is check-in and attending the Search Informational meeting? Are people in suits and dresses for Thursdays activities? Obviously I won't be dressed waaay down but what do folks normally do? Trying to figure out what to pack obviously...

Also, my plan was to print my resumes once I arrive. I have all day Thursday and thought I would go to a Kinkos or the like rather than bring a stack with me (plus I'm not sure where to get them printed in my current location). Any thoughts opinions on this idea?

Thanks for all of the advice everyone has already provided BTW. It has helped immensely in wrapping my head around this whole job fair thing. I know I am still in for a shock but I feel better prepared for having read everyone's advice and reports from the field.
SunshineTchr

Post by SunshineTchr »

Hey there hmmmm, fellow first-timer here. I thought about Thursday's dress code for exactly the same reason. I think I'll go with slacks and a decent blouse/cardigan - I figure I'd keep the dressier stuff for interviews, but of course recruiters et al will still be around, so I still want to be professionally dressed.

I'm doing my printing at home tonight and tomorrow. I think it's best to get it out of the way before arrival. There will be so much to process once you get there, it'll be one less thing to worry about. Imagine the extra stress if something goes wrong with your plan. If you don't have a personal printer, I'd say put in the effort to figure out where to get it done. Can you look one up in a directory or get a recommendation? Also, official printers aren't the only option - friends? Family? Your current workplace?
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

Most people dressed up the first day in BKK, although I'm not sure why since sign-up wasn't until the following day. A few people dressed a little bit down but not much. You would definitely be out of place in jeans, though.

I also did my printing beforehand so I could drop resumes into recruiters' boxes the day before sign-up. It worked. Many of the schools I spoke to during sign-up had shortlisted me because of this.
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

I would dress up as I would during the interview days. At Bangkok, I was contacted and set up an interview the same day-before the sign-ups. I already had another pre-fair interview that was scheduled so I was dressed for that, but I would have panicked if I had been in more casual attire. Even if you don't interview on that day, you will still be in front of the recruiters.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Sign in day I dressed in slacks, dress shoes, dress shirt and tie.

Other days it was suit, tie, dress shoes.

Most people I saw were similar, although a few were dressed down a bit, but not out of place. Even the PE people were in suits (well, most of them!).

As for doing your printing - get it done beforehand. You have known about the fair for how long now? (not trying to scold, but what happens if you miss out on an early opportunity because you are out trying to get stuff printed - in a strange town that you know not much about? Along with everybody else who has your idea?

Just my two cents, take it for what it is worth (actually less than two cents, in that case! :-)
sid

Post by sid »

Dress professionally and fairly formally throughout. As said before, you are 'on' the whole time you're there, and you don't want to be caught out when you have a chance meeting with the recruiter from your dream school. So, unless you're actively checking in/out, with a suitcase in hand, dress the part.

Print your CVs etc before you come. Boston is a big city, and the hotel isn't exactly in the heart of a walking business district, certainly not in Feb. You're leaving yourself open for a very stressful, expensive and potentially unsuccessful day if you set out in search of a Kinko's. What if there's an issue and you have to change layout, etc? Nope, too risky for me. I'd be a bundle of nerves.
hmmmm

Post by hmmmm »

Thanks for your insight everyone. I unfortunately don't have any options for printing where I am currently located. My school is very rural and I don't really know anyone to assist me with this.

I am however from Massachusetts and familiar and comfortable with Boston, the "T" and the weather in February. I am going to head out early Thursday morning to get my printing taken care of. The stress of that will take my mind off the stress of having to interview!

Finding out I could go to the fair at the last minute has been both a blessing and a curse.

I will try to return the favor of posting my experiences while there...
sid

Post by sid »

If you know Boston, that's a completely different kettle of fish. Good luck.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

You can bring the paper and print them at the fair, they have computers and printers there if you really want to save it for the fair.

You need to dress as if your always "on". You never know when your going to have an opportunity to sell yourself, whether ina hallway, at the bar, or in the elevator. if your in your room thats a nother thing, but you should at least look "smart casual" when going outside.
SAS

Post by SAS »

Hey, MIT and HArvard are in walking distance. There will be places to print.

I still would be too nervous to wait. Can you do it at school?
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

I recall there being a Kinko's in or near Harvard Square which is accessible to the hotel via the free shuttle. I did not have to use it, but if you're in a jam at least you know it's there. I would definitely try to come w/ all this stuff already prepared to go. Things happen so fast at the fair - you don't want to have to worry about this tiny detail.
hmmmm

Post by hmmmm »

So I got up early this a.m. and headed off to Staples. Got my resumes printed off and then used the rest of the morning to shop and get my hair done.

So far, things are fine here in Cambridge. The impending blizzard is going to have some negative implications for those not staying at the hotel. The transit system is closing at 3:30 and tonight at the informational meeting, there was a movement afoot to link up those with extra space/beds in their hotel rooms with those who might need to stay here. The hotel hs already put their emergency plans on paper and slipped them under our doors. If they don't lose power here, they will do a lot of restaurant and convenience store business with everyone stuck here for the duration...

I arrived to find 3 messages in my mailbox. Two were from schools that had already contacted me and one new one. None of them are even close to being at the top of my list but at this point, it's comforting to know that there are at least a few options. I left notes in about 10 mailboxes and I will cross my fingers that one of them will pan out. I am trying to stay positive.

There were many people at the info mtg. that raised their hands as "first-timers." The woman next to me (at her 4th fair with years of intl. experience) commented on how young everyone was. She looked to be in her late 30s/early 40s. I had been thinking the very same thing (in my late 40s).

That's all for now...
SunshineTchr

Post by SunshineTchr »

Glad that the printing worked out just a smoothly as you expected, SAS. I'll be one of those people bunking up with someone for the night as I'm pretty sure I'll be stuck here. I guess I am also one of the many young ones, I've only be teaching for 5 years. I feel a sense of solidarity with everyone, though - the diversity is nice. Wish you all the best!