South Africa

AnneBar

South Africa

Post by AnneBar »

I would like to work in South Africa. Does anyone have any recommendations or recent experience of working at schools in either Cape Town or Johannesburg?
Eric

Post by Eric »

AnneBar,

I don't have direct experience teaching in Cape Town or Jo'burg; however I did teach at an international school nearby in the region. I travelled extensively (backpacker-style) throughout S.Africa including Cape Town and Jo'burg. While there is loads of very interesting things to see and do within the country, the thing you need to be fully aware of is the crime and racism. It's ever-present and always talked about. There's a reason why there's so many South African teachers now living in the UK and Australia.

The students I taught (mostly wealthy locals) were lovely and really enjoyed going to school, but there was an uncomfortable undercurrent of racism among the staff. Having said all this, if I had to choose between teaching in Cape Town and Jo'burg, Cape Town would win hands down.
AnneBar

Post by AnneBar »

Hi Eric

Thanks for your reply. I have visited South Africa many times and have lots of friends there so I am aware of the problems that you mention such as the crime. I agree that there are still plenty of people, regardless of their colour, who are racist but there are also many people who are not and just get on with life - especially in Cape Town - which by the way would definitely be my first choice too. Anyway, thanks again for your reply.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

AIS-Johannesburg is a decent school with a solid head. My friends had friends there and they quite liked it. Jo'burg is more central to the game parks, Sun City, etc....while Capetown has the Cape, the wine tour, the Garden Route, whale watching in Hermanus...either one you can't really lose.
hmmmm

Post by hmmmm »

Can anyone weigh in on the Pretoria campus? What might be the positives or negatives of a job at that campus?
AnneBar

Post by AnneBar »

Thanks Shadowjack, I looked at that school's website and would defininitely consider Johannesburg so it's nice to get some positive feedback. I would also be interested to hear any opinions on the Pretoria campus.