Experiences Moving Overseas with a Large Dog

SAS

Post by SAS »

Great info, thank you everyone.

@Mamanaia and Redster,
I have a pure breed 3 yo standard poodle. He is crate trained and remains in the crate while I am at work. I bribe him with a frozen beef marrow bone. He thinks it is doggy crack and runs to the kennel with total excitement. I live in a city and keep him on leash at all times. I try hard not to let him be a nuisance to anyone, ie barking, running up to strangers, etc.

I have already wondered about food. I may need to start cooking for him or if in a locale with affordable maid service, she would cook for him. I am picky about what I feed him. Or maybe go raw food. It is all going to be an experience!

I am aware of quarantines in many places. It may be a deal breaker if I were to get an offer. I turned down one job already because Java could not come due to the housing situation along with the pay scale.

I have considered having him stay with a friend until I get settled and then sending for him. This would also help get around the summer heat issues. I live in New Mexico and it can be very hot as in above the temp limits set by some airlines. I know I will have at least two flights, one just to get to a coast or Texas and then on overseas.

Everyone's input has been helpful. I guess getting an offer and accepting is the first step. Just needed to have more info going to Cambridge.

Thanks!
vitaminz

Post by vitaminz »

You need to make sure the person that hires you knows what they are talking about when dealing with importing a pet and not selling you a bill of goods. Not only that but depending on where you go the housing may not be owned by your school and that building may have a 'no dog' policy. That is the case in may places.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

The transport is going to be the littlest problem, as for the right amount of money you can make it happen, or a service company will make it happen. Even quarantine is doable. I use to say it was a horror story bringing a pet over, but found out the horror stories were really the exception and not the rule.

The biggest issue for you is going to be finding a landlord/owner thats okay with the size of your dog. A LOT of places would not allow a dog of that size. I use to have a royal poodle (sadly passed away, his name was Puffles). He had to stay with family when I first started as an IT. I spent weeks trying to find an apartment that would permit him. I got dozens of nos.
SAS

Post by SAS »

I know it will be stressful moving, all sorts of new things to learn and get used to. Having my dog will be a stable and soothing thing.

I am going to see what offers come my way. If it is the perfect fit, I may revisit this whole issue. I just changed my SA page to read "Possible" under pet.

Thanks everyone for all of the insights and information.