Experiences Moving Overseas with a Large Dog

SAS

Experiences Moving Overseas with a Large Dog

Post by SAS »

I am going to Cambridge next week, searching for my first overseas science position. Hopefully, I will find a position. I have read many blogs and pet relocation services sites but would like to hear from you about moving with a dog. I really want to take him and already turned down a job as I was told the dog could not go due to housing restrictions. Thanks in advance.

Dog is 65 pounds (35 kilos)
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

Be aware that some countries have breed restrictions. What breed is your dog? If it's mixed breed, is it obviously a mix with a particular breed?

I know rules in China are dependent on the city you are living in. There are breed restrictions, size restrictions, and areas you cannot live in legally with dogs. You're supposed to register dogs, but if your paperwork is good then you don't have to quarantine your dog.

I know Indonesia doesn't let you import dogs from countries that have rabies. This looked to be a fairly new rule.

Korea has pretty generous rules regarding dog importation.

It would help to know what regions countries you are thinking of moving to. Those countries above are the ones I'm familiar with.

Good luck.
adminpaul

pets

Post by adminpaul »

Here's an ISR blog that may help you.

Going International With Pets.

http://internationalschoolsreviewdiscus ... with-pets/
SAS

Post by SAS »

I have read the ISR page already. It was helpful.

I have a 3 year old standard poodle. He is 28 inches at the shoulders, quite tall for a standard. He is neutered, has all shots, is microchipped, etc. no health concerns. He is a rescue with separation anxiety.
SAS

Post by SAS »

I am looking at the Me, northern Africa, and Asia. I have interviews lined up already with Kuala Lumpar ans a school in Saudi. No idea where I will end up but those are the areas I am looking.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Saudi you can bring your dog, but you will want him classified as a guard dog. Islam in Saudi isn't big on dogs, so guard dogs get the job done for those bringing them in.

If you end up in Saudi, there is a Yahoo Group called expatsinSaudi run by a British lady named Trae

very informative site and people willing to answer all your questions. If you join, you would have access to information in their files on bringing your dog to Saudi with you.

About other countries, I have no idea.
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

I suppose it depends on where you are going. I took my dog from Brooklyn and the challenge for us wasn't the country restrictions, but finding an airline that would do it in the summer AND without too long of a layover.

For my current job, the plane trip was fine (I paid $300 excess luggage fee) and I had all my documents in order and our General Service Officer did all the translating for me w/ the port veterinarian upon arrival.

The key is to start getting the documentation ready as soon as you know where you are moving. Remember, you can't get the APHIS paperwork more than 10 days before departure. I sent mine w/ a self-addressed stamped overnight envelope and I got it back in time.
SAS

Post by SAS »

Thank you. What airline did you fly your dog on? Did you use a service?
spruxy

Post by spruxy »

The other thing to consider is whether or not the country you are moving to has a quarantine time. Some countries require your dog to be held under quarantine (at your expense) for sometimes a long period of time (some countries can be 3 weeks to a month).
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

I am in one of the 'Stans and used their national carrier. The adventure of checking into that long line w/ my stuff, dog in the large crate, and the locals was quite funny. In the end, my dog lived so no complaints.

I didn't use a service, but their sites were quite helpful with what to do.

Turkish Air was very vague with their pet policy when I was booking tickets - so I chose not to use them. I heard Korean and Asiana are good with pets if you end up with a job in Asia. My bf's family flew w/ four cats to the Philippines on Philippine Airlines (all 4 in the baggage hold) and they were also ok.
SAS

Post by SAS »

Thank you vettievette, shadow jack, and sprux. When it comes to my dog, well he is part of my family, tho not human.
anon

Shipping a large dog

Post by anon »

We shipped a large 108 pound guard dog to KSA 12 years ago. All went smoothly. The cost was around $1000.00. The dog needed a birth certificate, BTW.
Three years ago we shipped same dog to the US from Asia. Many problems starting with no crate that really complied with regulations. We bought the biggest crate we could find and hoped he wouldn't stand up in customs. Cost $2000.00, and the dog did not travel the same route as we did. Arrangements took months. What a worry!
Shipping is certainly easier if you live on the coast.
On the positive side, we have had many friends that have shipped dogs with fewer problems and hassles and less cost. (Over 100 pounds may be the issue.)
We had full-time help in order to dog-sit on school vacations and for the summer.
Good luck on your search!
anon

Post by anon »

Sorry...deleting double post!
Last edited by anon on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mamanaia

Post by mamanaia »

I've travelled around the world with my 75 pound dog and a cat. I actually travelled with three pets at a time. It's stressful, but definitely doable. I can't help on the ME or N. Africa. I did travel to Thailand.

Find out about quarantine periods. In many Asian countries, there is no quarantine. The exceptions are Malaysia (could be 3 weeks), Indonesia and Brunei (6 months). Some islands in Indonesia don't allow import of pets.

Another factor to consider is housing. If the school provides it, they might not allow pets. If you select it, you can probably find people to help you get a pet-friendly home.

Think about pet food and vet services. Also, Pet care. I was very lucky in Thailand. My maid spoke no English, I only spoke taxi Thai, but she loved my dogs (I had two then). I paid her $10/day to stay overnight with my animals. She went about her business during the day (her other cleaning jobs), and she or her son slept over and gave the animals lots of love at night.

Airlines: Thai was wonderful. I've always had good pet service on Continental. Delta was okay. It was the leaving the animals over night in their warehouse I was furious about. Lufthansa, KLM and Korean are all supposed to be good with pet service.

Research exactly what requirements you need to enter a country with a pet. Typically rabies vaccine between 30 days and 365 days old, other typical vaccines, and a 'state certified' vet exam usually 7-10 days before flight. If leaving from the US, some countries require paperwork from APHIS. It is also a good idea to have a microchip that can be ready by international scanners.

Do NOT drug your pet before flight. Don't leave them with a collar on either. Put a paper collar around the neck with yours and your pet's name on it. Have absorbent material in the crate and attach a small bag of food and a water bottle to the outside. Some airlines will let you have a water dish attached to the inside, some won't.

I worry every time I do this, but all my animals have done well and gotten over the stress quickly. We even survived my Doug's crate opening on the tarmack of the Bangkok Airport with him running around trying to find me. It was NOT Thai Airline's fault. They were great getting me down there and helping me get my dog back. On a different flight, Thai personnel created this elaborate base-box around my cat's crate so we could set up a way for him to have water.

All should be well! Good luck!
redster

Post by redster »

Dogs: I love dogs and have two. Some issues.

1. Don't trust KLM-Delta. Word early in the year was no problem in the summer and then one month before travel, Delta slaps their annual summer embargo on shipping animals. KLM will tell you yes, but if the flight has a Delta leg you are screwed.

2. Landlord and neighbor issues. Not all countries and cultures think a dog belongs in the house. Especially purpose trained dogs, i.e. big dogs are for guarding, hunting dogs for hunting, toy dogs for being toys and unfortunately bully breeds are for fighting. A hunting, bully or guard dog on an elevator may scare others in the building. You won't have the first pick of housing options, also.

3. Dog damage can be costly, and most schools would not consider it regular wear and tear. I would recommend crate training.

4. What kind of dog owner are you. I am a city person so my philosophy is that my dogs should be kept leashed and affect those around me as little as possible. Dogs will be dogs, but it is humans who put them in the situation that they are in.

5. Having a dog is great. I have bought one of ours overseas and the breed fanciers were fun to work with. I enjoy being greeted by my dogs and the time spent with them is valuable.

6. Consider getting settled and then bringing the pet. This can make everyone's life easier.