Portfolios at the Fair

cdn

Portfolios at the Fair

Post by cdn »

I've seen a few conflicting topics on portfolios. Should my wife and I have one ready/an electronic one? She has a pretty extensive blog about her teaching, so does that suffice? Will they even look at them? What should we include if we do create one?

Thanks.
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

I noticed the other day that one of the Search fairs specifically says, "DO NOT BRING PORTFOLIOS."

This is our first IS job hunt and we haven't been hired yet, but here's what we've done. Our Search Associate seemed to like it...

We each have a page on our web resume that shows examples of our work (pictures and short descriptions). They don't get looked at much, but they're there if someone wants to see. I included pictures and videos from special projects, an example of a multi-media presentation I made for a regular old lesson, an excerpt from an article about my class, links to my other website and professional Twitter, etc. All really short, visual, and easy to consume.

My husband's page is much simpler. But we teach in completely different fields.
Eric

Post by Eric »

BookshelfAmy- can I ask how you made your 'web resume'- is it public or private? Do you use a free blog hosting provider? I've looked into making one but got overwhelmed by all the choices and the fact that so many of them seem to be public...
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Do not do a portfolio - it will never get looked at. Even a web portfolio might not be a good idea. Let me explain why.

A teaching couple had a website with their portfolio and history. Remember, these things are out there (and archived by Google, even if pulled down). These teachers both got jobs at a school.

Lo and behold, a couple of months later, some dissatisfied students went searching on the web. They found the teachers' site and portfolios, which confirmed to the students that the teachers did not really have the experience to teach what they were teaching. End result - the teachers are no longer teaching those courses and everybody at the school knows...I suspect those teachers will not be there past the end of the year...

Better, in my opinion, would be to create a 1 page fact sheet highlighting experience, skills, education, and interests. Make it colorful bold, and to the point.

Hope this helps!
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

Yeah, it's pubic. Mr. Bookshelf was nervous about it. Here's how I dealt with the privacy thing: Our contact page only shows our email addresses and that we're registered with Search. You can make a special version of your resume without your address, etc. To be honest, NO ONE has looked at our contact info, because all of the visitors are people we've already emailed about a job. I just had to decide that I don't care if people read my resume and see pictures of me, because they can find that stuff online anyway. I suppose bots could steal our email addresses...

Having said that, I also track the statistics of who visits which pages, and I can see when they download a file or click a link. There's only been one time that I suspect a random person stumbled across the site. Apparently my husband shares his name with a professional athlete in another country, and some person was googling him. So, thinking it was a recruiter, I got really excited that a person in THAT country was looking at our site, and then I realized what had happened. :(

We do use a free blog host. I thought about making it myself, but like you said, I got overwhelmed. I just picked a site I was already familiar with. I would suggest changing the layout so it doesn't look like a typical blog. I also did not put everything on one page, because I like being able to see which information people access. It tells me whether they're more interested in me or my husband.

My one disappointment is that Google Ana.lytics doesn't work with the blog host, so I've had to rely on the site's finicky, not-very-specific statistics.

Hope that helps!
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

"Lo and behold, a couple of months later, some dissatisfied students went searching on the web. They found the teachers' site and portfolios, which confirmed to the students that the teachers did not really have the experience to teach what they were teaching."

Well, that's terrifying. One of my biggest fears in leaving US public schools is not having the legal structure to support teaching qualifications and contracts.

Hmm... I guess it's too late for me, though, right? Might as well leave it up until we get something. :) Hopefully something we're qualified to teach!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Exactly - in for a penny, in for a pound.

Just remember, once you get jobs, pull it down :-)

Where are you and Mr. Bookshelf recruiting? Cambridge?

And...GOOD LUCK! :-)
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

Alas, we weren't invited to Cambridge. Waffled over UNI & Search SF, missed the deadline for UNI... in the end, we basically decided to skip the fairs. We had Skype interviews in Nov & Dec, so I feel okay about our chances of getting something after the fairs. At least we have the luxury of being able to recruit well into spring and still keep our American jobs.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I hear you. Never despair. I had an email this week from a school that I sent our CVs to, and a follow up, only to never hear back. Then, after accepting jobs, we get an email LOL

Something will turn up - and if not, you are ready for next year!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

You should definatley have a portfolio. Especially if you can make a good one. I woudlnt use the blog, unless its ultra sanitized for content, meaning its just sunshine and rainbows.

Search and the agencies are not going to compensate you if you dont get a job. the dont guarantee you one, so the best thing you can do is whats in your best intrests. if Search says dont bring a portfolio, and your the only one who brings one that makes you more prepared then they are.

Despite what shadowjack says you can certainly make a private online portfolio in addition to an unpublished one.You can also include a portfolio on a thumbdrive or CD.
The whole idea of being ready for next year sounds like the consolation prize for most gulliable. Who cares about next year, what about this year. Does being ready for next season come with an honorable mention pay check, and complimentary IB training?

That said your not going to get much use out of it, but it could tip the balance in your favor. It really depends on your teaching field. If your an art teacher or other fine/performaing arts teacher you should have a portfolio. if your a math teacher not so much. It really depends what your going to put in the portfolio. The big advantage of digital portfolios is being able to include video and audio, and for many schools the best part of a digital portfolio is being able to see a teaching demonstration. In addition they also show not only your creativity but your technical skills. Just make sure what you put in your portfolio is worth seeing, if its little more then a linked in profile or a digital version of your resume then there isnt anything to really see their.

My portfolio is on my drop with an index webpage. It includes my curriculum work, classroom and project work, photos of my classroom, a teaching demonstration and a documents download page, with a secured section that i keep scans of personal documents so i always have access to them.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

And here is where we disagree. Not one interviewer asked me if I had a portfolio or asked to look at it.

At a fair, they want to get down to brass tacks, see if you are a fit, and talk about your philosophy/experience/skills.

So IMHO, which differs from PsyGuys - skip the portfolio.

That said, I always have my important documents in e-format. Teaching certificates, passport scan, degree scan, letters of reference scans, etc, just in case...
cdn

Post by cdn »

Thanks for the responses everyone. We are going with an ichiro-type flyer, our CVs, and electronic copies of all necessary documents. We both have blogs that will hopefully attract some interest.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

The worst thing that could happen if you take a portfolio to a fair is having spent the time putting it together and a sore shoulder from lugging it around all day if you make it a hardcopy.

Personally, I spent hours putting portfolios together for my wife and myself and not once did a recruiter want to see it. Interview time is short and precious and you are better off selling yourself in a conversation than having someone look through a binder or have to spend the time firing up their computer and hoping your electronic portfolio might work.

As for the online versions, they are going to be catalogued and accesible even if you remove them once fair season is over and you have been successful in your job search. I can still find webpages that my students created 16 years ago that existed on a server that no longer exists. Of course somebody would have to really want to find you but it can happen.
hmmmm

Post by hmmmm »

LOL Amy, you might want to check out the typo from your earlier post...you definitely do not want a "pubic" portfolio!
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

HA! Hey, you never know what's gonna work...

My mom once sent out hundreds of resumes with a typo in the word "skits." She said she'd directed and produced various... You know.