What happens if your accused of reviewing your school?

lostboy

What happens if your accused of reviewing your school?

Post by lostboy »

So, what happens? Anyone ever been accused, suspected, or worse caught? Was there retribution or was it your death sentence? I'm hearing stories! 8)

Accused Teacher

Post by Guest »

I heard of an incident that a teacher is being accused of writing a review of their school. The director took action and has put the teacher in situation where they had to resign or face some ridiculous assignment. I won't name the school because I fear more retribution for this person. They were warned not to make an issue or worst could occur. The sad part of this story is the person did not write the review/reviews. The director still proceeded on his assumption based on the words of others. This is a true story. It is happening right now, this year. A person?s life can be destroyed over words and because it?s an international school, noting can be done. Directors need to be held accountable, and this kind of misuse of power should not be allowed to happen. So, ISR, what do you think?
ISR Administrator

Retribution

Post by ISR Administrator »

We are saddened to hear this story. It is indeed very unfortunate that a professional educator is suffering this sort of injustice. Hopefully the current review of the school in question will warn others of the perils of teaching at this particular institution. Maybe in the future this person will submit a school review recounting the experience and thus further help others to avoid this school.

Yes, some directors do abuse their power and hopefully reviews submitted to ISR will bring some of these people to light. On the other hand, there are many outstanding directors out there that treat their staff well, have a vision for their school and, in general, create a supportive atmosphere for students and teachers alike. We hope ISR leads you to these directors and rewarding international teaching experiences.
Macedon

Post by Macedon »

I got close to being in the dodaa over posting but it wasn't necessary as the school has more or less ruined itself. My experience is now to avoid being bitter, move on and if you are sensible you can get a better deal. I do think it is important to warn prospective teachers of problem schools but in a tactful way. The market is such that we need strategies to help us move on. I sympathise with many who have been honest decent staff and suffered for it.
guest1

Post by guest1 »

This is why I am too scared to tell you about my story......actually wait until the end of June, then I'll tell my story. then I won't have to see them ever again!!!!! Hopefully

Re: What happens if your accused of reviewing your school?

Post by Guest »

lostboy wrote:So, what happens? Anyone ever been accused, suspected, or worse caught? Was there retribution or was it your death sentence? I'm hearing stories! 8)
Sorry but I can't help this...the word is "you are" not "your."

I hope "you're" NOT a teacher.
NotAnEnglishTeacher

Post by NotAnEnglishTeacher »

Nothing is more hilarious than a know-it-all who just NEEDS to correct someone and turns out to be wrong! :D

"You're" wrong, Guest! I'm not even an English teacher but can tell you that "lostboy" is correct when he wrote, "Was there retribution or was it your death sentence?"

What do you want him to say?? - "Was there retribution or was it "you are"death sentence?" :roll:

Re: Retribution

Post by Guest »

There is always a way out. Nobody should put up with this...go back to the US and finish out the year there, and blast the director's name and story everywhere you can find!
ISR Administrator wrote:We are saddened to hear this story. It is indeed very unfortunate that a professional educator is suffering this sort of injustice. Hopefully the current review of the school in question will warn others of the perils of teaching at this particular institution. Maybe in the future this person will submit a school review recounting the experience and thus further help others to avoid this school.

Yes, some directors do abuse their power and hopefully reviews submitted to ISR will bring some of these people to light. On the other hand, there are many outstanding directors out there that treat their staff well, have a vision for their school and, in general, create a supportive atmosphere for students and teachers alike. We hope ISR leads you to these directors and rewarding international teaching experiences.
guestie

hours spent trying to figure out who wrote a review

Post by guestie »

I know an administrator who went to great lengths to figure out the identity of a teacher who wrote a negative review. There was nothing identifiable about the person because so many people were unhappy and shared the opinions of the reviewer. The adminstrator asked around - as secretively as possible - and used everything from use of the language (to try to determine nationality) to possible wordings meant to "hide" the person's identity. The level of obsession was comical. The person who wrote it was probably one of the persons who left, so there were no consequences. Really, the anonymous review only added to the administration's already absurd paranoia about any teacher uttering anything remotely unflattering about an administrator. It was the paranoia that brought on the events that led to everyone's unhappiness in the first place. To try to come to any conclusion here is impossible, really, but I guess I could end by stating my opinion that administrators often start to hate and fear teachers and their opinions. Personality quirks lead some to go off the deep end and try to hurt teachers in any possible way. It always reminds me of Nixon and his list of "enemies".
aha

a similiar story

Post by aha »

As soon as the review of my school was publlished there was intense speculation as to who the author was. There was one teacher in particular who seemed obsessed with finding the author. Although the review was a favourable one and almost all of us teachers agreed with what was said the teacher who wrote it remained silent for almost a week before he/she finally confessed - so to speak - of writing it. Why some teachers have a dying need to know who wrote something is beyond me but they are out there for certain.