living in kuala lumpur

julie33

living in kuala lumpur

Post by julie33 »

A few questions:
1) What would a simple, furnished apartment cost per month living outside of the city centre?

2) Hypothetically, if airfare, rent, medical, etc. were covered by the school, what is a decent salary expectation if you wanted to save some money?

3) Is the metro really as bad as I'm reading? What exactly is wrong with it? Do you actually need a car?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Depends what you mean by simple? A basic 1BR with basic furniture and appliances outside the city would cost you about $400USD (inside $600USD).

Depends how much you want to save. Bottom level salaries for are around 6000 RNG/month. ELL teachers average 5000 RNG/month. Youd need about 7500 RNG to do okay, and anything over that is banking coin if you want.
It can be really easy to burn through money in KL.

No its not that bad. Many Malaysians use it every day. You dont need a car, there are just a lot of "American" types who think you cant live anywhere without a car, because they like driving.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

LOL PsyGuy. I HATE driving, but after living in China for nearly four years, I really miss having a car!
Last edited by sevarem on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teachermom

Post by Teachermom »

I never lived in KL, but visited and loved it. I took the metro and it was fine--convenient, cheap, clean enough, and people actually lined up to get on. I wouldn't mind taking it daily.

The traffic in KL was very busy around rush hour, so if I moved there I would definitely try to commute by metro.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@sevarem

Seriously, in China if you had a Chinese model car like a Photon, you might have a car but you wouldnt be driving very much. Anything that isnt German, is always in the shop for something. Either that or you have to schedule filling up the tank, with some of the que times.

@Teachermom

Ive met some great people and actual friends/acquaintances on the MRT. Same time, everyday, tends to be a lot of the same people.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

In reality, public transport really sucks unless you live near it. They are expanding, but things tend to take forever to be built.

I don't know about renting since I own. But you will certainly need a car after a while. And it is a Malaysian mentality that you need a car, and the current designs make it a bit of a necessity if you plan to live there a while. If you were there for only 2 years, I wouldn't bother. You will probably end up hot and sweaty and buy a car just to avoid it
Nemo.

Re: living in kuala lumpur

Post by Nemo. »

[quote="julie33"]A few questions:
1) What would a simple, furnished apartment cost per month living outside of the city centre?

2) Hypothetically, if airfare, rent, medical, etc. were covered by the school, what is a decent salary expectation if you wanted to save some money?

3) Is the metro really as bad as I'm reading? What exactly is wrong with it? Do you actually need a car?[/quote]

1. 2500 to 3500 rm per month for somewhere half decent
2. 15k per month before tax (depends on you easy to spend that on beer!)
3. Goes hardly anywhere, crowded, lost 2 phones on LRT and no bus network worthy of the name. A car is a must especially with crime rate high - colleagues who walk been mugged a minimum of twice each in a year
ann

Post by ann »

Hi

I was living in KL the past nine years, a furnished 3 bedrooms apartment in KLCC area -city center is not 3500rm but 6000 to 8000 rm....
Public transportation is bad so you must have a car.
Mont kiara area is more expensive than Taman Seputeh (Alice Smith School primary campus).
Feel free to ask me more...
ann

Post by ann »

Anybody got interview for the Alice Smith School in KL ??
Cwlcymro

Post by Cwlcymro »

I live in an area close to most of the international schools:

Rent is 2800RM
Mine is 1b flat, but in a brand new, very conveniently located building. People in slightly older but still nice condos get 2 or even 3 bedrooms for same price. People sharing a 3 bedroom bungalow with 1 other person can get a nice one for about 2,5000-3000RM each person

I spend, not including rent, 4,000RM - 5,000RM a month. That includes plenty of holidays, days out, some nights out and eating out almost daily. It does not include a car though as I do not drive and if you are a big social drinker your costs will rise further as alcohol is expensive here.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

There are two main areas for the international schools, but I assume you are talking about jalan am pang since the rent is low. Then again, you can find stuff for a fraction of the cost if you knew how and are Muslim.

The main problem with the public transport is that it is not convenient. The trains don't go to many places, the busses are slow (think granny driving, then subtract an extra 20kph), taxis are amongst the worst in the world for price gouging. Having a motorcycle is a death wish at the speeds people drive in this country, bicycles are infinitely worse (exaggeration as not many people are stupid enough to ride their bikes). The only logical conclusion is to buy a car. Which is basically the same as nearly every adult in the country with the means to do so.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Mathman

Thats the REAL issue for you its not accessibility its speed. Of course buses are slow, they take serpentine routes, and stop every 200m or so, but between buses and the rail you can get anywhere you need to go. I imagine your one of those westerners who has to be wherever your going as quickly as possible, always in a rush to get to the destination, the journey is just... "waiting" for you I imagine.

Id much rather take an extra 15 minutes or 45 minutes and sit back mark some papers, do a little reading, talk to the cute girl across from me, much more then I would gripping a steering wheel, while paying attention to traffic.

I realize that our differences are just preferences, but the public transport is a viable option for those who "appreciate" that kind of lifestyle.