Abu Dhabi public schools in relation to post-cert experience

Puranku Teecher

Abu Dhabi public schools in relation to post-cert experience

Post by Puranku Teecher »

I've been lurking on this forum for a few months now, and I'm now ready to ask a question of my own. My wife and I are currently teaching English in Korea and are also pursuing our certification through the Teacher Ready program. From what I've read here, we won't be competitive applicants for most international school positions until we have at least two years of post-certification experience. The problem is, we enjoy living overseas and don't want to go back stateside to work. We've recently learned that some schools in the middle east are less stringent regarding experience, so we've begun to look into that. So, finally, my question is: if we taught our certified subjects at Abu Dhabi public schools, would that experience count towards the two years teaching experience seeming required at so many "real" international schools? From what I gather, these positions (Abu Dhabi public schools) require teaching certificates and include all of the normal responsibilities of a regular teacher.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

it would be VERy difficult for you to teach in a ME local/public school without native language proficiency anything except ELL. Most of those positions are just ELL contracts under the guise of being bilingual academic programs. Most recruiters woudl see right through that and just count it as more ELL experience, which doesnt count.

You will find bottom tier ISs in the ME, SCA and Africa who will hire teachers with less the the typical two years experience. That type of experience would count.
Puranku Teecher

Does anyone have any experience here?

Does anyone here have any direct experience with Abu Dhabi public schools? Psyguy has such an incredible breadth of knowledge regarding every region and situation regarding international schools that I somewhat doubt the depth of his knowledge.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

I am also doing the TR program while working in Korea.

I am hoping that my High School Math cert will get me a job in the ME without the 2 years exp. I plan on going to the UNI Fair next Feb.

How do you and your spouse plan on taking the FTCE's while abroad? Military bases offer them but, it might be troublesome for non military.
Puranku Teecher

I have family in Florida and I'm long overdue for a visit home, so we'll stay with family and take the tests over the course of a couple of days. I hope to take the social sciences, earth and space science, biology, and perhaps the math subject area tests along with the general knowledge and professional knowledge tests.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

Im gonna attempt to take them on a base here in Korea before I leave in Sept to Latin America. If not ill have to take them end of Dec / beg of January when I return to the US. Which means I must pass first time with the fair the following month. fml
sid

Post by sid »

Teaching in that type of school would probably count as your two years. It will be up to individual schools to decide, so when the time comes, make sure to pitch it positively.
inman

Post by inman »

Hi,

It's true that even after 2 years in the Abu Dhabi public school system, you won't be as competitive as someone in an out and out international school, but more important than the experience will will be about how you present yourself after it. If you talk about "only working in the Abu Dhabi public school system" then others will view it the same way, but if you refer to the experience as "a wonderful experience in which you enjoyed the opportunity to develop classroom management techniques whilst also refining your teaching skills" then you become seen as a positive, hard worker who loves a challenge.

I disagree with the assertion that native language proficiency is needed to work in such environments. As you will find in many similar programmes, there will most likely be a local teacher either present or nearby to help out with urgent issues regarding classroom management or emergencies. All organisations that I've heard of that provide teachers for public school programmes strongly urge their teachers to NOT speak the local language, with the reasoning that if they wanted someone to speak the local language and a bit of English then they can find someone much cheaper than flying you in. Additionally, if students think you can speak their language then they will try to use that with you instead of English. You probably found the same in Korea.
momentofclarity

Post by momentofclarity »

If by UAE public schools you mean the ADEC organization you will be working in a public school as such, but not as you would recognize it from your experience. Your role would be both consulting teacher, support teacher, subject teacher and ESOL teacher. The UAE curriculum is a little confused as the official language of the country is Arabic but several of the "core" subjects are taught in English (to students with little to no grasp of the language).

The colleagues I know who have worked in this organization had experiences that varied from tolerable to terrible. There are a lot of entrenched beliefs about education in this region that are becoming recognized but are also very slow to change, and the cultural approach towards education is not supportive in general.

I would imagine you could argue it as overseas experience, if you are willing to slum it check out the Sabis organization in the ME, they are terrible but will hire pretty much anyone regardless of qualifications.

Good luck!
inman

Post by inman »

I'd be very careful of SABIS. They want everything doing EXACTLY their way and you will have very, very little creativity. They also pay terribly. At least with ADEC they pay a good amount of money. It's a tough call because neither is ideal really.