Best paying schools

Smurf

Best paying schools

Post by Smurf »

So, leaving aside the regional variations of cost of living, in a direct comparison of salaries which schools pay the most?

I heard you can earn over $100,000 in the middle east, is this true? It seems a bit absurd!
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

All the biggies in Switzerland, Hong Kong, Singapore, BKK, Tokyo, Beijing, Shanghai, Jakarta, Doha, Riyadh, and Dubai.
vitaminz

Post by vitaminz »

Saudi Aramco is the only school I have heard of that pays that kind of coin. Good luck getting a job there.

If you are a good middle/high school math or science teacher then you can pull in huge tutoring money in Kuwait and Qatar. That is on top of the $35-55k tax free salary you will be paid in these places. I've seen math teachers pull in double to triple their salary in tutoring alone in these 2 countries.
vincentchase

Post by vincentchase »

A simple public school teacher in Australia with 8 years experience earns over US$100 000/year, including retirement. Highly accomplished and head teachers earn closer to $115 000/year.
sid

Post by sid »

Some of it depends how you do the math. On salary alone, it's under 100K. But add in the value of housing, flights for the whole family, contributions towards retirement or PD, bonuses, health care, not paying taxes, and possibly the savings on holidays if you can get them cheaper starting out from your international post... Then you could possibly be looking at over 100K in the better schools.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

But Vincent - Australia is expensive to live in with high wages - so it is all relative. How much of that do you keep after taxes and paying all the bills?
vincentchase

Post by vincentchase »

Valid point shadowjack. I'm not Australian, but having been there, I know expenses and taxes are quite high. But in answering Smurfs original criteria in leaving cost of living aside, Australia probably has the highest salaries in the world.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Northern Canada is similar - and not always in isolated fly-in communities :-)
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Few of those elite schools actually have salaries over $100K when just counting straight salary. There are some further caveats to that claim. The ones that do have $100K+ salaries arent entry level. You cant walk into a salary that high, as all those schools have experience caps (usually between 5-10 years) you might get to $100K but not until after being their for a substantial portion of your career. You dont see that kind of salary until the very top of a schools salary scale.

About the only school (and its why its so popular) where that kind of money is more common is indeed at Saudi Aramco. A major consideration though with that kind of savings is the limited opportunities to spend it, given the ME compound lifestyle.

@vincentchase

I disagree, if were leaving cost of living and taxes aside Japan has the highest salaries.
Bodisalpha

ESF Hong Kong

Post by Bodisalpha »

I currently live and work in HK and as a middle manager I get paid over $100K per year. Salary.

The package in HK is without a doubt one of the best in the world, including cost of living. 2 FT teachers working for ESF can expect to SAVE over GBP2500 per month and have a wonderful lifestyle.

I know this as we are a teaching couple working at ESF.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Middle managers (admins) are not teachers using the faculty salary scale.
Bodisalpha

Post by Bodisalpha »

Actually in HK department heads, 2 i/c, and any teachers with additional responsibility are on the same salary scale, with TLR points that count towards extra money. TLR 1 (top) to a TLR 4 (lowest). Even on the basic salary sclae, with 20% gratuity, rent reimbursement scheme or cash allowance you would still be on US100K (with at least 10 years experience).
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

[quote="vitaminz"]Saudi Aramco is the only school I have heard of that pays that kind of coin. Good luck getting a job there.

If you are a good middle/high school math or science teacher then you can pull in huge tutoring money in Kuwait and Qatar. That is on top of the $35-55k tax free salary you will be paid in these places. I've seen math teachers pull in double to triple their salary in tutoring alone in these 2 countries.[/quote]

I just wanted to piggie back on this statement. I agree! I am in Kuwait and teachers make more than a months salary in tutoring. If they work 4 times in a week they can earn $700 a week in tutoring. A Psychologist can make $265 for counseling 1 hour per week! The big money is on the side.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@Bodisalpha

The problem is in the details. First, Not a lot of teachers have extra responsibilities, were talking base salary. Second, 10 years experience is near the cap of many IS, those arent the salary steps for entry level, or even mid level.
Bodisalpha

Post by Bodisalpha »

Fair enough. Just pointing out that HK is a good deal for teachers and shouldn't be overlooked because the cost of living is high.