Future international teacher with many questions regarding..

Shay

Future international teacher with many questions regarding..

Post by Shay »

Hi everyone,
I'd like to briefly give insight into my background and current educational status and then get advice in regards to my desire to teach abroad.

I am 38, single mother of two (14 and 11), father is very involved though, and I am currently in college to earn my AA.ART where I will then transfer to earn my BA in social studies for secondary education. I have not chosen my particular major in social studies yet and that will be one of my questions I have for everyone. By the time I finish my BA and get a few years of teaching experience under my belt my daughter will most likely be starting college and my son will be in his last years of high school. Therefore it is most likely that when I desire to teach abroad I will be single with no dependents.

I have been reading and soaking up all of the information found here and many places because this has been my path for two years now. In 2010 I visited Brazil and instantly fell in love with the land and a Carioca. Although it did not work out between us, I still love Brazil and it would be the country that if I could choose that I would love to teach. I have many Brazilian friends and visit often, I'll be spending a month in Rio this summer with friends.

One of my main questions pertains to the areas of teaching that are most in demand internationally. It seems that math and science remain top leaders across the board. I'm not adverse to teaching science but my weakest subject area is math unfortunately and those two usually go hand in hand for the most part. Actually, I'm great at everything else BUT math and have no desire to teach math. I do enjoy Biology though.

What are the subjects that are most in demand and will get you hired faster and easier?
Does it very from country to country?
Does it matter more about experience than subject area?
What is that most schools are looking for? ( I realize this is a broad question but just give it your best shot.)

Knowing my desire and my plan, what advice do you have for me? Is there an area of social studies that you would suggest I major in with the idea that it might be in demand?

Will I have to remain stateside for 2 years to gain experience or are there schools that will hire newly certified teachers. I'm not looking to get into Europe, my expectations are that I will have to start out at the bottom of the totem pole and work my way up so South America, Central America, Mexico would be fine for me.

Are there any certifications that I could add onto my current educational path that will help me in the long run? I do plan on getting my masters after my BA, wondering if I should get that in my content area or get it in education or public administration, etc?

My long term goal is to make teaching internationally my career so I want to do whatever it is I need to in order to make myself the most attractive and competitive candidate for that to happen.

Any and all advice is welcome and thank you for taking the time to answer.:)
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Most science teachers I know do NOT teach math. Science is taught as a discrete subject.

Your best bet would be to target Chemistry and Biology as physics has a high degree of math.

HS Science is more in demand than MS Science as it becomes much more specific at that level.

So, if you are planning on Sciences, get going for your certification (I think you need 30 credits in Science) and check with your advisor about the best way to do it.

As for teaching Social Studies/History - rarely have I seen single teacher hires for this - it is usually part of a teaching couple. However, that doesn't mean there aren't jobs, just that schools sometimes use those spots to place a spouse of another teacher.
Shay

Post by Shay »

Unfortunately my entire path involving my classes, etc has been geared towards social studies, to start over now would not be ideal as I need to get my BA and gain better employment for myself and my children ASAP.

I may go back and get a BS in Biology afterwards which I realize would not be the ideal way to do things but at least I can do this while I would be hopefully in a teaching position already gaining experience.

Is there not one subject in social studies that is a serviceable teaching job abroad?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

MS Social Studies seems to be morphing more to Humanities.

History in HS is a good one. You will be more marketable if you can (a) find a school that will hire you that teaches the IB program and

(b) having done so, get trained and then teach TOK for a year or two.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Psychology and Economics are the big HS Socials subjects at my large Asian IS. APUSH is the popular history subject but after that interest peters outs.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

One of the problems with the demand in SS and humanities (humanities is what IB calls SS in MYP) is so many teachers with degrees and backgrounds in everything from womans studies to sociology, who really dont have any experience or academic competency in traditional subjects like history and economics.
If your intent on staying in SS id focus more on world/european history (as opposed to american history, and eastern/asian history tends to be very superficial when covered in american universities), and the business/social sciences such economics, and poli sci, etc. A minor in psychology wouldnt hurt.

Depending on the level you teach science may or may not be a discreet subject. In DIP for instance a science teacher is pretty much only teaching their subject, but as you go down to MYP and the early levels of MYP having mixed math/Science classes is more common, especially at smaller schools. The exception is really physics, since AP, IGCSE and IB Physics is pretty much an applied math course.

What will get you hired the fastest is having experience, certification and education is whatever a school is desperate hiring for. Last year fine art (music, art, theater) positions were available very late at some really good schools, but they were looking for very specific skill sets in those subjects.
Math and Science remain very strong in demand consistent subjects in ISs. Followed closely by computers and design technology. SPED, SEN and LS are good fields if your only interested in tier 1 schools.
Counselors, and those specializing in college advising are in particular high demand. They tend to get scooped up very quickly.

Schools are really looking for teachers that are low maintenance and easily manageable employees. There is some demand for just about everyone somewhere at sometime in the year.

There are schools that will hire you without two years of experience, but these are going to be third tier schools in undesirable places. Brazil could work though, the SCA region has low salaries, and they find it harder to attract teachers for any significant length of time. Its reasonable, though.
Shay

Post by Shay »

Thanks everyone! Like I said, if it is feasible I plan on also getting a BS in Science as well to round myself out better.

A couple of questions concerning some repeated acronyms I see here on the forum such as PYP experience, IB - which I Googled and read it means "inquiry based" learning? How does one go about being trained in this method? Is this a method that you learn during your education classes in college or a separate professional development skill you have to seek on your own after you are certified?

What are some other acronyms and their worded translations that are useful to know when reading and researching.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Hi Shay,

IB is actually IBO - International Baccalaureate Organization. An IB school offers the curriculum set by the IBO and can be a partial or full IB school, depending on which of PYP, MYP and IB DP it offers.

IB training usually is given to teachers who are joining an IB school. Some schools won't hire teachers without IB experience (2 to 4 years), other schools will hire and train teachers. I interviewed with 3 schools which offered IB and all 3 had no problems with training me.

Most people usually don't seek out IB training on their own, because it is not so much the training that schools require, but the top schools require experience in teaching it. The mid-rank will train.

Not having any teaching experience at all, but having IB training will not be much of an advantage, simply because almost all schools which would look at hiring you want 2 years teaching experience (although this is different at different schools and there are always exceptions).

Hope that helps
Shay

Post by Shay »

Thanks Shadowjack.

I realized what the IB stood for after I had written my post and couldn't edit it..LOL Searched and found that there are only two high schools in the upstate here that are IB schools so maybe I could try and focus on trying to land a teaching position at one of these schools when the time comes.

Would that give me some advantage since I would be a new teacher to at least having received my two years of experience in an IB school as well?

Right now my biggest dilemma seems to be stemming from what I would like to major in the liberal arts arena that would also make me marketable in the economy should I need to find employment if I can't find a teaching position right after college. I sure wish the economy would strengthen quickly! :(
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

If it is possible to do your practicum at one or both of those upstate schools (not sure how many practicums you do), then it would give you an in with them and a taste of an IB environment.

If you landed a job and worked with them for two years, you would have 2 years of IB experience, be cheap, and schools would be quite interested in hiring you, depending on your references of course!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

You probabley already have some training/education in inquiry based education (you might have heard it called guided discovery, or other terms).

PYP stands for Primary Years Program. Its elementary grades 1-5
MYP stands for Middle Years Program. Its mostly middle school and lower high school, grades 6-10.
DIP is short for Diploma and is grades 11 and 12.

The IB (or IBO, for International Baccalaureate organization) regulates and authorizes schools to deliver those curriculum. Students attending authorized schools can sit for the IB exams to get the IB Diploma.

The rule is that no amount of training equals any amount of experience. You can get training on your own but it costs about $700USD for a worskshop at its cheapest, and its not very useful in getting hired.
Lower tier school particularly in hardship regions will train, but more importantly a contract with them will give you experience. upper tier schools require you have at least 2 years IB experience and the elite schools want 4+ years.

If you can get student teaching/internship or hired at a local IB school the experience would make you VERY marketable when entering the IS field.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

The HS science teachers I work with have a good understanding of the Maths needed in their particular science, and not necessarily so good with the rest. The exception are physics teachers that actually studied physics in uni, their math is excellent. The IB still has significant math skills needed in the sciences, and you will frequently find yourself teaching the math necessary.

It's impossible to match the math demands in the sciences with the actual math course as the requirement in each course is different. Having said that, I have Chem covered for their math (logs), physics soon (trig) but bio needs to wait (graphs and stats). In the physics class, I have had to explain plenty of Maths already.

MS science would be ok, since they tend to be math lite. there also tends to be less demand for teachers.

My advice is to pick your passion and go for it, don't choose a subject because it is easier to find a job.