UWCSEA Singapore

fine dude

UWCSEA Singapore

Post by fine dude »

This is a top-tier school in singapore. Is this one of those schools where one can still find a work-life balance? Would you guys accept an offer from here? Thanks.
JISAlum

Post by JISAlum »

Not the reply you are looking for, but there have been 3-4 posts here in the forum regarding your question on quality of life there (mixed at best). UWC is certainly an established school in Singapore and IMHO, one step below SAS- which is not bad.
indogal

Post by indogal »

I would not say a step below SAS. I would say it is on par with SAS. They have different missions. SAS is about American education. UWC is more international and service driven.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I've worked at both schools, but many more years at SAS and only a short term contract at UWC. UWC is certainly much more international and IB driven. SAS has no IB program and has mostly American students with the American education. Both serve different types of students.

In my opinion, in Singapore, UWC is thought of as being the best, simply because the IB results are usually very good, and many students succeed in getting the IB Diploma. AS a teacher, however, the workload at UWC is greater, because most teachers teach both Middle School and High School. It's not unusual for a teacher to have 4 preps. At SAS, you are within one level (MS or HS), and sometimes only one or two preps.

Both schools would be a real pleasure to teach in.

Rob
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Regardless of the environment and purpose (which vary between the two schools, they do focus on different student populations. Though there are international students at SAS and their are American students at UWC) those differences are issues of preference. When you set that aside SAS has a better package then UWC, not a whole lot better, but better.

You will work harder and longer at UWC then you will at SAS, especially if you are an american teacher without much or any IB experience. At SAS you have fewer preps, but if your an experienced teacher, you shouldnt have to prep very much anyway unless you WANT to reinvent the wheel. You can pretty much "phone in" your lessons at SAS without much if any modification. The inverse however, is true of experienced IB teachers at UWC.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Take it. Many teachers go there and stay for years. You will grow professionally and personally. There is a ton of service learning in different places. I have had students go there from schools I was teaching at and they grew so much more than they would have if they had stayed at the school I had been at.

Take the chance and do it - amazing school in an amazing city!
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

Hi There
I am re-juvenating this thread, wondering if anyone's got anything new to add.
We are considering Singapore and would appreciate any further info.
We have many years experience in MYP/IB and also AP in shortage subjects so we'd be qualified for both UWCSEA and also SAS. To be honest, so long as the quality of staff was good we have no strong views on which system we teach in.
My question is twofold:
1. Where would we be able to strike the best work:life balance?
2. Housing costs in Singa are alarming. Which offers the best chance of somewhere with three bedrooms?
From the philosophical to the prosaic!
Thanks as ever for the input.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Cheery Littlebottom

I would really need to know what you define as life/work balance? The american curriculum at SAS is more rigid and prescribed at the lower secondary level then the MYP curriculum at UW. Having IB MYP experience you will have little work to modify and deliver your classes. AT SAS you will be collaborating and "working" more, meaning less time for outside "life". At the upper secondary level DIP is more resource intensive then AP.
I would add though that these differences at both lower and upper secondary are really negligible for an experienced teacher in the given curriculum.

You will simply make more at SAS then UW, both schools would allow you to afford a 3BR but you would have less leftover at UW. For that size of accommodation your likely to be going into salary at some point.
Cheery Littlebottom

How would I define it? Getting home in enough time to spend at least a couple of hours with my personal kids, and working no more than about 2 hours a night and 4 at a weekend, with the exception of crunch times, of course, when all bets are off!
MYP is not my favourite, but that's mainly because I think my school just plain does it wrong. I would prefer IB Dip to AP which is a rigid crammer course, but less effort.
Frankly, Singapore scares me a bit. With the world at the doorstep and so many great schools out there it's a bit anodyne.
Thing is, our next move will be a bit crucial for child #1. So these two schools keep coming up as great middle schools. I am not convinced. So I am doing my homework.
Knew I could rely on you for an opinion, PsyGuy!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

You will have more outside time at UW. You will certainly have the family time of a couple hours at both schools, but the prep and marking time periods are too short for either school at upper secondary, especially around end of terms and testing periods. In MYP you could do it, but I dont see it happening at SAS in the AP or A/P programs. It would be a stretch In the DIP program at UW as well.

If Singapore scares you, you need to find a new planet. Singapore is the most controlled, regulated, sterilized city/country in the world, with the possible exception of the Holy See. Its one big mall and food court, very little "bad" happens in SG.

Yes they are great middle schools, but they are top tier schools, so of course they are going to have good middle years programs. Do you truly believe a school good have a reputation of being elite yet have a horrible middle years program? ASIJ, ISB, ASL, etc all have top middle years programs.
Cheery Littlebottom

LOL! I mean it scares me cos it sounds so boring! I've been there a couple of times and it is obviously safe and well-regulated.
I understand that top tier schools have good MS programmes, I am simply searching for info on fit. A few years ago I spoke to people who work at UWCSEA and they bang on about how you have no life. Well, I teach 5 preps including MS and IB and I have a life, whereas these guys were moaning about 4 preps killing them, which puzzled me.
I'm a hard worker, don't get me wrong! I am just doing my homework.
Cheers,
Cheery X
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Get a mistress and you wont be bored anymore. Not because of the extra "interaction" but all the hiding and sneaking around will keep you plenty busy.SG is one of the few countries that has a legal red light district.
Part of the living on an island lifestyle is relishing the opportunities to be bored, kick back in a beach chair with a bottle of rum on the beach and watch the kids play in the water, then 10 minutes later take everyone out for an outdoor indian barbecue. Then head home and over to your neighbors for a game of Majong and drinks while the kids are asleep.

Still need more excitement in your life, look into the mistress idea.
Cheery Littlebottom

I am still laughing! Yup, you're right. A lot of what you say makes sense. Plus it's a great hub for flights.......
As for the mistress idea, I'm sure my husband would be delighted, as long as he got to join in. :wink: PsyGuy you're a card!
PsyGuy

Comments

Post by PsyGuy »

@Cheery Littlebottom

I dont judge...
Cheery Littlebottom

Actually, PsyGuy, I was very interested to learn that the new head of UWCSEA will be a pretty well known figure from the UK. Chris Evans is the boss at Bromsgrove School in the midlands. He writes an hilarious blog! Well worth a read. I am very piqued that he has chosen to go overseas. You should check out his blog. I think he also writes anonymously in the Grauniad, or another UK paper. :)