experienced teacher new at teaching abroad

joeysu

experienced teacher new at teaching abroad

Post by joeysu »

I am a credentialed teacher with my masters in educational technology and have taught at an elementary school in US for 14 years. i love my job but have dreaming of taking a year or two off to teach elementary school kids abroad. i would love to start in july this year. i am single with no kids and would like to find a job that will offer me housing and where there will be a expat community with whom i can perhaps travel with. experience is more important than pay since i am doing this for the experience/travel and not a career since i do have my teaching position here to come back to. i have a few questions of where to start and i would so appreciate any guidance. i would love to teach in thailand because i love the warmer weather and the culture and people seem very welcoming to foreigners. europe would also be great but it seems difficult to get. i looked into prague and turkey but i read that the winters are very very cold so i might not be able to handle that. cyprus or italy sounds like a dream too. so basically i'm not set on a specific location yet but those places mentioned would be on the top of my list. i would appreciate any suggestions or comments on what your opinions are about those places( pros and cons).

so far i have just registered with teachaway and so i'm waiting to hear back from them. i was told to apply directly with international schools but from what i've read they receive so many applications they would probably not even read mine. is this true? i do not want to invest money to fly somewhere for a job fair since i am still currently working at my job here. in your opinion, what should my steps be at this point to try and ensure i have a job set up for july/august of this year. does it seem possible? i am very excited to embark on this journey. i am making preparations on this end to be able to leave for a year or two. i just need to make preparations on the other end so i have somewhere to go to. i thank you in advance for your time and help.
pikefish

Re: experienced teacher new at teaching abroad

Post by pikefish »

There is a ton of information on this board to sift through.... Here are some starting points.

1. Although it is not too late, you are way behind for finding a job for next school year. International schools are in the middle of peak recruiting season. Unlike US schools, the vast majority of hiring will finish up in the next month or so. Of course there will be opening into the summer, but you need to get in gear ASAP.

2. The two most popular recruiting companies are Search Associates and ISS. You can Google either. They organize job fairs, which is where most, but not all, people get their foot in the door.

3. Another popular resource is TIE Online. It is cheap to join and most positions find their way there.

Hope this helps.
joeysu

Post by joeysu »

great thanks. your info does help. i will start my research on those three recruiters. what are my chances of getting a job without going to one of these job fairs?

also, do you think it is worth the money to pay these recruitment agencies or would i be able to find these same jobs by applying directly to those schools?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Europe isnt going to happen. As a primary teacher with no PYP or IS experience your not going to walk into a WE teaching position.

Thailand is reasonable, and if thats the focus of your IT job Search you dont need a recruiting agency. Youd only have access to a handful of schools. In which case you can identify and bookmark those schools and just apply with them directly.
Id recommend you go with one of the inexpensive smaller agencies such as TIE online, since your not interested in a job fair.

Schools would read your application packet, your not a newbie and are a pretty strong candidate.

If you really want to go to Thailand, and its more about the experience then the money for you (and it sounds like it is) you should add looking for an EAL (ESL) position. Recruiting sites that cater to this usually include lower tier Bilingual/International schools in their job vacancies. This would very likely ensure that you have at least some job to go to in July/August.

FYI: The Thai school system has a different calendar that runs May-February. Most hiring is done in February and March.

If your going to pursue an actual IT position with a real IS, you should really lie about your short term intentions. Most of the real ISs want long term investments or at least a shot at being a long term investment. Saying your only interested in a two year teaching-vacation (which is what it is) labels you a "tourist teacher" and its a big negative for recruiting administrators.
sid

Post by sid »

Please stop thinking about this as a a year or two 'off' and start thinking in terms of starting a new job. Transitioning to a new role, school, life... is huge. You will be there to work. You will have the same amount of time to travel, explore and play as you currently have, or perhaps less. Many international schools are quite serious, committed, progressive places which have very high expectations of teachers. They're often further developed pedagogically than schools in the US. Not always, but often enough.
If you go expecting a holiday, you'll be disappointed.
Teaching internationally can be great, fantastic lifestyle, great benefits and yes more travel than most teachers back home ever contemplate, but it starts with a job. Work. Students. Assessment.
You can still work to live, rather than live to work, and I absolutely support that sort of balance. Just don't expect a two year vacation.
joeysu

Post by joeysu »

Psyguy and Sid you both made some great points and advice. Thank you. I was thinking of joining TIE so ill probably go ahead and sign up for that.

Psyguy ur advice that I should look for an esl position, would I need a tefl cert to do that or would I be fine w my current credentials?
Thanks for the tip on not mentioning my short term intentions.

When I started thinking about teaching abroad I definitely didn't think that it will just be a vacation. I know I'm trying to find work there so I would approach it with the same attitude as I do with my job here. It wouldn't be fair to the school or the kids there if I didn't. I'm hoping for a school with a developed pedagogy and high commitment to their students. I'd want to walk away from there w a sense of making some kind of difference and knowing that I gave it my best. My dedication to teaching will be the same wherever I go. The perks of more opportunities to travel, learn new culture, and being in a new environment are the bonuses. Those are great points Sid and they should definitely be asked and made. [/quote]
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

You wouldnt need a TEFL certificate for teaching ESL in Thailand, they are really only helpfulf or non teachers who really dont have any classroom or education experience. TEFl certificate programs dont teach you very much about language acquisition. These programs mainly are introduction courses to classroom and teaching methods and practices. You already have that as a professional teacher.

If you want id check with your state to see how hard it would be to add an ESL endorsement to your certificate, which would be far more valuable then a TEFL certificate.