Just Starting Out

andyleblanc

Just Starting Out

Post by andyleblanc »

Hello everyone. My wife and I are very interested in taking our 3 younger chldren and teaching abroad. We are doing it for the experience and know it will be very beneficial to our kids to experience all that a foreign land has to offer.
We just stared looking into the idea over winter break. I am hoping that the combined experience along with the nice people willing to help on this forum could get us pointed in the right dirction. I will list the questions so its easiest for you all to navigate but a little background first.
I have been teaching high school social studes in the states (we live in GA) for 12 years. I am AP Human Geography and AP World History certified and have 3 years of online teaching experience. I have a masters degree and am certified by GA to teach broad field social studies and broad field science....though I hate teaching science!! I have also coached sports of various kinds all my years teaching
My wife has also been teaching for 12 years. She is an elementary school teacher and also has a few years of experience outside the class in more of a combination of teaching and administration type job (math coach and IP/Enrichment/Instructional Coach). She has a ton of leadership role experience in various ways. She also has several years of coaching experience in basketball.
We definitely prefer Europe and probably not to many other places since we don't want too much of a culture shock for my kids and wife. soooooooo

Are we good candidates for an international school job in Europe?

Are we too late in the process for next school year?

We have gone through the process of signing up for Search Associates (haven't submitted money yet), good idea to join?

I don't even know about a lot of these abbreviations being used or level of schools, any help with these? WHat should we focus on?

Is Europe unrealistic give the taxes and the taxes we will get from our kids tuition or are there enough schools t pick from that will compensate us for this as I heard some do?

Best places to look for a family experience?

Can anyone offer a vague step by step process we should do for either this fall or next fall?

Any awesome websites or references that I can learn more on the process?

Any other tips or warning I would find useful?

Thanks so much for taking the time to help us out. I am really pumped about the possibilities of us heading over and the experiences my children will have. Know that all that post in the forum are very much appreciated and helping families like mine chase those dreams!!!

Andy

Sorry for the long post, not like me at all!
Snowbeavers

Post by Snowbeavers »

First of all congrats on taking the plunge overseas. You will love it!

With both your experience, education and skills, you will have no trouble finding jobs overseas. As it is your first international post, you might not be able to get into some of the top schools as they may opt to go for experienced international teachers but really depends on the school. May I ask how many kids you have? If 2 or less, you shouldn't have a problem but more than 2, some schools will not provide free tuition for all of them. Again, this varies from school to school.

I would definitely recommend joining Search or ISS and sign up for one of the upcoming fairs. This is a good way to connect with other int teachers and learn about international schools. You might be too late for this year though as most of the prep starts in the fall and job fairs tend to fill up fast. You might be able to get into some of the late fairs (one in London in April) though. Check out the schedule here: http://www.searchassociates.com/Job-Fairs/Default.aspx

Rough step by step process if you were to start next fall:

July-Aug 13'-Begin researching potential schools and locations and get a rough idea of where you might like to live. Update resumes, take care of financials back home, ask for reference letters (the earlier the better). Read some of the reviews on here (but take with a grain of salt)

Sept-Register with Search or ISS. Get all paperworks submitted, pay fees, etc. Register for one of the early fairs (Bangkok ,San Francisco, Boston or London)

Oct-Send out resumes and emails to schools. Don't expect much of a response but it still worthwhile. Keep a list of schools that you have contacted and their responses (if any)

Nov-Dec Continue researching schools. Book flights, hotels, etc

Jan-Feb-Recruit! Interview with 8-12 of your top schools. Keep an open mind, you might end up going to somewhere you completely didn't expect. Relax and enjoy the ride!
Snowbeavers

Post by Snowbeavers »

Some of the abbreviations you might run into:

IB-International Baccalaureate: Refers to the IB program and is an internationally accreditation body for many international schools. Within that framework are IB Diploma Program (HS), MYP (Middle Years Program) and PYP (Primary Years Program). Many IB schools will be looking for candidates with "IB experience"

CIS and WASC-Other accreditation bodies. Council of International Schools and Western Association of Schools and Colleges.

Generally you would want a school that is accredited by one ore more of the international bodies.

What abbreviations have you been running into? There are tons of acronyms out there!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Welcome to the forum andyleblanc

What terms are you having problems with?

IB Diploma (DIP) is not high school, its half of high school, and is grade equivilent to 11th and 12 grade. Diploma can be studied at either SL (Standard Level) or HL (Higher Level). SL is equivilent to a HS diploma. HL to an honors diploma.
MYP is grades 6-10, middle school and lower class HS.

CIS calls its process "accreditation" but they dont accredit a school to do anything or offer anything. WASC is one of six regional accrediting bodies in the USA (WASC, SACS, NWAC, MSA, NEASC, NCA). WASC tends to be popular mostly in Asia.

I strongly disagree with Snowbeaver, they didnt read that you have three children. Your probability of teaching positions in europe is zero. Sorry, not trying to be mean or anything, but your too expensive a hire, and youd starve in WE (Western Europe). Average taxes are 40% and youd need a 4 bedroom apartment which is pretty much pushing a condo or villa, youd spend one who salary on housing alone, and the taxes on your tuition waivers would eat too much into the other salary (generally speaking a tuition waiver is valued at $10K, so you owe one too two months salary per waiver), thats assuming a school would even want to pay that much for a SS and primary teacher, which they wouldnt.

Save your money on Search, only about 15% of the schools in the SA (Search Associates) database are EU schools. Almost all of them are available for free from other sources, and youd need a top tier school to even entertain the costs of living. Most teachers work their way up to EU schools, and without IB experience or IS experience they arent really going to be interested, and if they are as soon as they hear that you have three kids they are going to loose interest.

Sorry

Social studies and primary arent in very high demand
Snowbeavers

Post by Snowbeavers »

Ignore PsyGuy as per many threads ([url]http://internationalschoolsreview.com/v ... php?t=2833[/url]) discounting his arrogant opinions.

According to the Search Associates site, there are 75 EU schools registered with Search out of a total of 271 schools in their database (28%) which comprises of all big EU international schools and many smaller ones. There simply aren't other EU schools out there so Psy's little stat actually is irrelevant and taken out of context. 28% is the total number of EU schools out of all international schools.

It would be very difficult to get hired without international experience through any other ways outside of a recruitment agency. I'm not sure what other sources PsyGuy alludes to other than email or internal connections. Your probability decreases quite a bit if you rely on these means.

Also, just because you have kids, certainly does not mean that your "probability drops to zero". PsyGuy is not a administrator and does not know how recruiters make decisions. I have plenty of friends with kids who are working in Europe and those schools pay free tuition. If the school likes you and feels that you are a good fit, they will hire you.

Good luck with your search.
Gereja

3 kids

Post by Gereja »

I have some friends with 3 kids who got hired straight out of the States two years ago at AISB (Romania). That's a pretty great IB school and package. However they are paying a portion of the 3rd child's tuition but have a 4 bedroom house and car wich is included in the package.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

"
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:55 am Post subject:
Ignore PsyGuy as per many threads ([url]----://internationalschoolsreview.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2833[/url]) discounting his arrogant opinions.

According to the Search Associates site, there are 75 EU schools registered with Search out of a total of 271 schools in their database (28%) which comprises of all big EU international schools and many smaller ones. There simply aren't other EU schools out there so Psy's little stat actually is irrelevant and taken out of context. 28% is the total number of EU schools out of all international schools.

It would be very difficult to get hired without international experience through any other ways outside of a recruitment agency. I'm not sure what other sources PsyGuy alludes to other than email or internal connections. Your probability decreases quite a bit if you rely on these means.

Also, just because you have kids, certainly does not mean that your "probability drops to zero". PsyGuy is not a administrator and does not know how recruiters make decisions. I have plenty of friends with kids who are working in Europe and those schools pay free tuition. If the school likes you and feels that you are a good fit, they will hire you.

Good luck with your search."

No snowbeaver is just wrong.

There are over 650 schools (depending on how you count schools or campuses, IE QSI) in the SA database. Assuming the 75 EU schools estimate is accurate (again depending how you count and define a "school"). 75 is 11.5% EU schools in the SA database.

(Log into your profile and search for all schools, with no limiters, thats the total number of schools and its not 271).

its just laughably ridicules to claim that "all" international schools are listed with Search, and that "all" EU schools are registered with Search. Again the IB schools alone outside the USA is over 2000, which is nearly 4 times the entire Search database.

its very easy to get hired outside of an agency. You can easily start by Goggling international schools in a region or country or identifying them on Wikipedia and then consulting their HR page on their website and emailing an application packet. Most schools will make use of a Skype interview. Its just ignorant to claim you cant get hired without an agency.

You didnt read the post at all, its not the tuition it the tax on the tuition in europe which you typically pay at the same rate as salary. The average tuition waiver is valued at $10K at 30% tax (and most pay 40%) for three waivers thats at least $9,000 combined tax on the waivers.

its not having "kids" its having 3 kids in Eurupe, yeah the probability is zero.

Your probability actually decreases solely relying on an agency, even SA the largest of the recruitment agencies databases only has a small number of international schools.
sid

Post by sid »

You're probably too late for this year, but in a great position for next year.
The less popular countries in Europe offer better packages and less competition for positions. You could probably find something in Lithuania or such. You'll need a three-bedroom place, and schools should be willing to offer that if you are both strong candidates re your references.

The IB Diploma is for the last two years before uni, grades 11-12 in the US system. Each course within the DP is offered at Higher or Standard level. Students take 6 courses, 3 at HL and 3 at SL, plus TOK and CAS (you can learn those later). PG is rather off with his description, as a student cannot do the entire DP at one level.

You may want to consider broadening your search. Culture shock is culture shock, and while there are some places that are harder than others, don't assume it'll be easy in Europe. New language, new school, new home, new laws, new everything. And the culture is more different than you would expect even with the more similar countries. Sometimes you can get in more trouble in Britain by not anticipating differences than you would in countries where you expect things to be different. If you're living in cities with large Hispanic influences, you could easily head to many places in Central or South America and find fewer culture differences than if you went to Spain or France. Etc etc.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

3kids, wife and husband, I count 4 bedrooms assuming I room per child and a shared bedroom for the spouses. I don't know of any European school that would be jumping to hire that couple based on those logistics.

Wrong, a student can do all 6 courses at HL, thats one level. Post the the IB regulations or guidelines that specifically prohibit it?

Didnt think so....
Snowbeavers

Post by Snowbeavers »

There are 75 [i]reputable[/i] international schools from Europe registered with Search according to their website. Of course there are many other "international" schools but any language school can simply slap an international in front of their name. That's why I brought up the importance of being accredited. Do you really think that a teaching couple will save anything at these smaller schools? The point was to recommend them to reputable tier1/2 schools from Europe.

Please Psychguy, if there are so many other hidden gems, give me a list of 5 quality tier 1 schools from Europe not registered with Search? Didn't think so...

I'll even help you out a little, glance down the stats of all international schools from ISC and find them [url]http://www.iscresearch.com/internationa ... the-world/.[/url] Of course, Spain claims to have 185 "international schools" so are you trying to tell me that by not paying Search the fees, they are missing out on these hidden gems?

To the OP, the point is by at least registering with Search, you are making yourself known to the international community where they can check your credentials, experience and references. Sure you might get lucky and get an interview or two by applying to them directly, but it is unlikely, especially if you are new to international teaching. I would increase your chances by registering with Search and then if no bites, attend a job fair. [/url]
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I see youve abandoned your 271 Search schools, and your 28% of those being EU schools. As well as your "An agency is the only way to get hired" position.

There are far more then 75 reputable schools in Europe. Not all the EU Search schools are reputable and of those 75 schools nowhere near 75 of them are tier 1 schools, and by reputable Im not talking language or Bilingual schools either,a and also am including internationally accredited schools as well.
Seriously just 5 schools, I can do this in ONE country alone and not even a big IS country and i dont have to find tier 1 schools, just because you say so, the issue is accredited tier 1 and 2 schools.

SA has three schools in france listed in its database

IS Paris
AS Paris
Lycee Paris

The following are ALL accredited IBO schools in France:

International School of Lyon
International School of Nice
The International School of Toulouse
International Bilingual School of Provence
EAB International - The Victor Hugo School

Thats just one country, and ALL of those 3 whole search schools are available from free/outside sources. Want to push the issue again, ill do Sweden next (FYI SA has 1 school from Sweden, there are 42, "FOURTY TWO" IB schools (fully authorized and accredited).
I dont need any help, Why would I use ISC, when were talking REAL international schools, why use a junk database.

The point to the OP is that if you have a narrow focused job search you can locate the schools on your own and apply directly with the schools fairly easily. Search and ISS associates dont introduce you to schools they just give you a more convenient tool to contact the more well knows schools to begin with (of course you get access to the fairs). Nothing about your candidate profile or Search registration accomplishes anything you cant do outside of Search. Many, MANY teachers are hired outside of an agency, theres nothing lucky about it.

If you were open to anywhere, had a more broader job search I would recommend Search or ISS, but for a handful of EU schools that with your logistics (family) scenario your just throwing away $450 for the both of you. A Search or ISS job fair is a waste of time for you, your just going to be disappointed and frustrated by a lack of interest.
sid

Post by sid »

From the IB's document: "General Regulations: Diploma Programme"
8.2 The six subjects must be selected from six groups as described in the relevant handbook for the examination session, at least three and not more than four subjects being offered at higher level and the others at standard level.

Taking 3 HL and 3 SL is the norm and is highly recommended by the IB itself as well as most practitioners. Many schools prohibit students from taking 4 HL and 2 SL. Taking 5 or 6 HL is not allowed by the IB.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Sid

Nice try, back up a few lines in the regulations.

"Article 7: Content of the programme
7.1 Candidates for the IB diploma must satisfy assessment requirements in six subjects, each studied over a period of two years, except that not more than two standard level courses may be completed in the first year of the programme. Languages ab initio and pilot subjects can never be completed in the first year of the programme. The six subjects must be selected from six groups as described in the current handbook for the appropriate examination session, at least three and not more than four subjects being offered at higher level and the others at standard level. Recommended teaching time is 240 hours to complete higher level courses and 150 hours to complete standard level courses."

Please direct your specific attention to line 1 "ASSESSMENT requirements" and line 6 "for the appropriate EXAMINATION session".

These regulations govern the number at level of IB EXAMINATION students can complete. There is nothing in the regulation prohibiting a student from STUDYING all 6 COURSES at HL, try again.

Sorry, deep breath there's another poster that's agitating me. I thought the same thing you did last year, with one of our students, that exam limits at least inferred course limits, according to the IB director of curriculums compliance unit, it technically doesn't. A student can study all 6 courses at HL, though they can't assess at HL on more then 4 of them.
Why, would someone do this? It looks better on a transcript, and is more impressive due to its rarity when writing an admissions essay or composing a reference letter for a student.
Snowbeavers

Re: Reply

Post by Snowbeavers »

I have not abandoned the 271 schools. There are 271 schools posted on the Search Associates website, 75 of them are from Europe. I do not have access to the database so cannot check your "stats".

LOL at your choices of tier 1/2 schools. Those schools would barely be considered a tier 3. Some of them don't even have an employment page. None of them have even been reviewed on ISR. Just because they have been authorized by the IBO, does not make them a tier 1/2 school. Keep trying though...
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Then why are you making a knowledge claim, your not qualified to make?Maybe when you have access to the data, you can report accurate data. There are about 650 schools in the Search database.

An employment page or absence of doesn't make a school any tier at all.

Not being reviewed by ISR is actually a pretty strong and positive endorsement. This site tends to be a dumping place for complaints. No review is about as good a review as you find.

No IB authorization/accreditation doesn't make them tier 1 or tier 2, it doesn't keep them from being third tier either, what it does mean is they aren't "some language school that slapped international in their name".

Don't have to keep trying, you lost.