Bangkok Job Fair

shadowjack

Bangkok Job Fair

Post by shadowjack »

Got to the fair hotel earlier today. By late afternoon, I began to see obvious international educators in the halls and elevators, and even struck up a few conversations! It reinforced for me how small the International School circuit really is.

By about 5 PM, the bar on the ground floor was full of candidates pre-meeting with others (it might have been superintendents or directors - then again, it might not have been...) The table dance went on for the next few hours, but by 9:00 PM the bar was clear and the lobby almost the same.

Tomorrow starts the big grind. I am ready to take it all in and not let it sweep me away.

Stay tuned...
inman

Post by inman »

I like the post Shadowjack. I'll look forward to your next update.
Redvaldo

Post by Redvaldo »

Nice post...looking forward to tomorrows!
txteach

Post by txteach »

Good Luck!!

While I am 99.9% glad that my job search wrapped itself up so quickly, there is that teeny tiny part of me that is bummed to miss the job fair process, just to see what it's like.

Looking forward to the updates!
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

Definitely a lot of action in the bar area. Met with one school twice and another once today. 9 requests to interview so far. Nice variety of schools from China to Switzerland. I'm mentally exhausted and ready to leave already but sign-ups aren't even until tomorrow. I haven't had that many conversations with other teachers. Going to go try to meet some people and go to some presentations now.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="DCgirl"]Definitely a lot of action in the bar area. Met with one school twice and another once today. 9 requests to interview so far. Nice variety of schools from China to Switzerland. I'm mentally exhausted and ready to leave already but sign-ups aren't even until tomorrow. I haven't had that many conversations with other teachers. Going to go try to meet some people and go to some presentations now.[/quote]
----------------------------

a lot of interest is great, especially a range of schools/countries. Switzerland could be very good. It's one of the few places in Europe where you can actually live well and save some money if you are at the right school (I interviewed with two of the better schools there last year and would have been thrilled with an offer).
shadowjack

Bangkok Job Fair - Day Two

Post by shadowjack »

So today began with a nice buffet breakfast (yes, we sprang and stayed at the job fair hotel. Pricy, but worth it, IMHO, as you can keep stuff in your room and retire there if need be (although we didn't).

After a solid breakfast and running into old acquaintances from schools years ago (1998-2000), we hit the check-in period from 10:30 to 11:30. Grabbed our name tags, lanyard and package and headed for the candidates hall - which was jam-packed with candidates already, filling out yellow "prospect slips) asking for an appointment/meeting with a school and the position interested in. As we circulated around the (largish) room, hotel employees continued to add school postings on large pieces of easel paper.

My thoughts on this part - stake out your seat EARLY - put a coat, bottle of water and a small notepad in front of your seat and on the chair. Both Mrs. Shadowjack and I didn't do this. Instead we circled the room looking at all the jobs posted (these are the most up-to-date and might not match the postings available on Search itself) and seeing which ones matched up with us. Luckily for us, we had already had an interview the night before the fair as well as contact from a school asking us to book an interview, so we felt not too bad right off the bat.

After making a note of the schools (and sometimes having to go back to list the positions that suited us, as I had forgotten to do so - NOTE TO SELF - make a table page in Word. School - Country - Position(s)) we set out to complete our yellow slips, organize our CVs and paperclip the CVs and yellow slips together. 21 schools later, we were done.

This took us from 10:30 until 1:15. So...if you are serious about not limiting yourself and open to many schools, remember it will take time (single teachers, you will likely find it easier!). We chatted as well with teachers from Vietnam, Thailand and Myanmar as we all went through the process - it was interesting to swap stories. WE ALSO MISSED THE CANDIDATE ORIENTATION - but, don't fret too much. If you are not a type A worry wart, you can figure out how things work.

After that, we headed out to put our packages in the school folders (along with a bunch of other teachers). This took some time as you queued in the various lines behind other teachers. Then, it was time to sort out which school presentations we would go to.

This was interesting. Some presentations overlapped at the same time, so we had to prioritize a bit. Sadly, we missed some (sorry Dubai school!), but we also went to some others in locations we hadn't considered and they seemed very interesting. I would recommend going to as many of these as you can - it allows you to network with school heads and principals as well as correct any misunderstandings in your applications (talked with one recruiter who was unaware of the full extent of my experience, who told me to come see him tomorrow at his table. he mentioned having put something already in my mailbox, which was a thanks/no thanks. Hopefully I changed his mind with our conversation!).

Throughout the day, you are free to take a quick second to check your file folder. My advice - wait. Often the recruiters have not had time to go through their whole stack of applications. Also, usually the first ones you get are rejections. Nicely phrased, but rejections nonetheless. At least if the school hasn't presented yet, you can cross it off your attendance plans (as we did for a few).

So far, 21 or 22 yellow slips put in, four schools saying no thanks. Hopefully tomorrow we will find out in the morning whether anybody besides the two schools wants to interview us.

AT THIS POINT DO NOT PANIC. I have talked with several of my colleagues who are fantastic teachers - if I were recruiting I would hire them on the spot - but they have heard nothing. Zippo. Zilch. Understand that fairs are very hit and miss. This year there might not be that great combination position for you and your wife/husband. It might not be posted at this particular fair. Your school of choice might not be in attendance. Your dream job might have already been filled before the fair. My advice - keep an open mind and go listen to some of the schools in intriguing places that you know nothing about...talk to the recruiter - and see what happens. We have learned a lot by sitting through presentations today.

After all of that we were fried. Baked. Zonked. So down to the bar/restaurant we went and had a drink and some dinner, and then went up to find the rejection letters (POLITE rejection letters), and planned a bit of our day tomorrow.

Oh yes, also we did one last scan through the candidates lounge where schools post their openings to see if any new schools/changes had been posted. There were some schools up we had not seen, as well as a notice near the teacher files stating the names of people who had "crashed" the fair and put applications in schools' files without being Search candidates. Bad bad teachers! I am sure that Search is not going to like you for a few years!

Oh - we also strategized after dinner about which school tables we would hit up first in the interview sign-ups tomorrow. We will re-do this after the morning, when hopefully we get some schools WANTING to interview us besides the two who have already expressed interest. That will change our plans, I am sure.

That's it. Now it is almost midnight in Bangkok and I am off to bed. Stay tuned tomorrow night because I will post our experiences of DAY TWO of the fair. Good night - and good luck to all my fellow candidates - even those competing for the same openings as me and the Mrs!
inman

Post by inman »

Keep the updates comin Shadowjack. It makes for good reading. Really hope you get what you're looking for. Good luck.
cdn

Post by cdn »

This is great. Thanks for the updates.
antitravolta

Post by antitravolta »

Really appreciate all the info, shadowjack. Gives me a good idea of what to expect. Best of luck on finding what you're looking for!
Redvaldo

Post by Redvaldo »

great post!
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Thanks so much for the play by play! It really helps to be able to read about a firsthand experience.

Good luck!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Great experience and thanks for the play by play, its really appreciated and keeps things fresh (alas I could not go to the Search BKK fair, which is always bigger and more energizing then the ISS fair).

I have my list made in advance of schools I want to go to at signup, and only update it right before signup in the morning, there are too many changes and updates and people watch it getting stressed about their school and job vanishing at the last minute. Many positions disappear overnight between the ISS fair and day before recruiting. It reminds me of the opening lottery scene in the hunger games.
I wouldnt leave anything of real value to save your seat, people will just move it to the floor (as in fallen to the floor) or elsewhere.

The whole administration hiring the night before was just an excuse for Search to deal with the early hiring before the fair that they were never able to stop or curb. It was going to happen despite whatever Search said, so its how they saved face. It would be nice if they just said it was a free for all and that the fair started when you walked through the door.

WOW 21 thats a lot of time and a lot of schools. I imagine you must be primary or something very common. Most candidates get about 4 interviews from signup, with an average of one advance/early/night before interview.

Heres the candidate orientation summary:

1) Your word is your bond
2) If you back out of a contract you will owe us money, and lots of bad things will happen to you
3) Your word is your bond
4) Schools should give you 24 hours (later ina smaller group you will learn that their is nothing Search can or will do if they dont give you 24 hours).
5) Your word is your bound
6) if you ahve any questions or concerns please consult your associate, if your associate is not here then your associate is "X" person.
7) Your word is your bond
8) Did we mention the bad stuff that will happen if you break your word.
9) Please wear your name tag at all times, as its your admission to all venue and fair events and areas.
10) Just in case you missed it, your word is your bond, bad stuff happens if you break your word.

Checking your folder, the lists and email constantly can be nerve wracking. There is a lot of downtime at a fair, imagine if you didnt have old friends to talk to and stories to share, to a newbie often the fair is just stress heaped on more stress while waiting and waiting for a couple hours of trying to sell yourself. Some candidates get sick over the stress, and explode if and when they dont get anything. It can get messy.

Presentations are the second bets opportunity to introduce yourself to recruiters (the first being at sign up, the third being in passing, and the fourth being at the social). I wouldnt blow off a presrntation just because of a rejection froma school. As you described there may be something in your resume and experience the recruiter missed. If your not interviewing with a recruiter, then after the presentation is going to be the best way for a recruiter to put a name and resume to a face. You never know what will happen with that schools needs in the future or where (what school) that recruiter might be in the future. Id rather go to a presentation I got a rejection from and make a positive impression then go to a presentation ive already got an interview for, since im going to have an hour to talk with them in depth.
The presentations are usually spread over 3-4 conference rooms, so attending one always means missing others. I find the presentations themselves gratuitous, your getting the sales pitch, the best without the average day to day and certainly not the bad. Its like going to a car dealership without doing research in advance, the presentation is always one side, and everything is staged to show the school in the best possible light. You dont get much out of a presentation as far as the school that you wouldnt get reading their brochures and their web site. What you do get is to see how the admin giving the presentation acts, and even though they are going to be at their politest and best you can get a lot of insight into how they act and behave. Do they appreciate questions, do they talk/have stories or just show slides. What are the quality of the slides is it just PP or video, this can show a lot about how the school utilizes technology at the school. Do they talk about their staff and students (people and relationships), or do they talk about facilities and infrastructure (money).
The other opportunity you have from the presentation is again to get a couple minutes to make another pitch for yourself and possibly get an interview.

Schools like to keep teachers in the dark, it makes them insecure and lowers their standing during negotiation. Your not going to hear anything directly until their is something concerning you specifically to hear. The schools like to let the vacancy list (and its opening and closings) speak for them. Some schools will give you rejections in advance some will make you wait in line to be dismissed on greeting.

The BKK fair is the most crashed fair on the circuit. Bangkok has a rather large IT and ELL teacher population and being local its nothing to slip a resume into a box. If your not a Search candidate its not like there is anything they can do to you (what are they going to do kick you out of an agency you dont belong too). There is very little downside and you might get lucky, though usually the high tier of the BKK schools means many of these crashers arent really qualified or competitive to begin with.
I know a number of teachers though that have gone to the BKK fair rogue after not getting an invitation and who had interest from schools in advance.
There was also a teacher with his family at the ISS fair who didnt do very well at the ISS fair and had some leads from schools that were attending the Search fair and he was sticking around to talk to them at the Search fair, even though he wasnt a Search candidate.
txteach

Post by txteach »

Terrific information! I am really pulling for you and Mrs. Shadowjack to get some great offers!

Good luck for day two!
Autumn

Hand outs

Post by Autumn »

Thanks for your play by play, very much appreciated.

When you get a second to breathe would you mind commenting on if you believe putting "candidate packages" in the recruiters folders got you some hits.

At our last fair in 2008 we spent loads of time/money putting together packages, and it did not seem to get us anywhere.

Thoughts?