Bangkok Job Fair

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Psychometrika

60% get hired outside of the fairs (and this statistic is somewhat vague because some associates state that fair influence accounts for another 20%-40% additional hiring but its difficult to really test that). This still leaves 40% of candidates hired based on attendance over a 1-2 event. Thats a lot of variance and opportunity packed into a very small amount of time.
shadowjack

Re: Bangkok Job Fair

Post by shadowjack »

Shadylane,

that's what we found when we left our last school. We gave prospective schools our deadlines and that was all we could do. Nobody told us to bugger off, so I guess it worked out OK :-)
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Just a bump as it is job fair time again!
sid

Post by sid »

My bag is packed. Looking forward to seeing some ISR reps there. Offering a few nice positions too, though just a few this year. Turnover is low.
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

Thank you very much for the details. I will go to the Boston one and keep telling myself, just try and relax, but I am sure it is stressful.
MyLifeOverseas

Post by MyLifeOverseas »

sid wrote:
> My bag is packed. Looking forward to seeing some ISR reps there. Offering a
> few nice positions too, though just a few this year. Turnover is low.

I heard directly from school director friends that they filled many of their openings at GRC in Dubai (in November). For both candidates and schools it is a MUCH cheaper place for recruiting with no candidate fees and no placement fees for schools.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

The ISs dont need SA or ISS anymore, they dont need GRC, they belong and attend and pay those fees because they choose to do so because they have chosen that format. Those agencies exist because ISs choose their services and venues.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

MyLifeOverseas - there are a lot of schools in the world :-) Many schools are going to Search Bangkok - approximately 130. That's a lot of schools in one place :-)
twoteachers

Post by twoteachers »

Some schools are genuine in their interview process...others such as the tier one schools in KL, Manila, and Taipei...I’m not quite sure why they bother...they knew who they wanted way before coming here, are are quite obnoxious in dealing with IT’s applying who dont have other tier one schools on their resumes...I had to walk away from the HOS in KL before I slapped the glasses off her face with her attitude...
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

First, they bothered to show up because they wanted too, its Bangkok its a nice little diversion, do some shopping, a little time away from the spouse to do some 'stuff'.
Second, First night recruiting is substantial at BKK, ISs that have minimal recruiting vacancies can fill their positions entirely with first night recruiting. They went there to look the candidate in the eye, shake hands, get a feel/vibe for the candidate and then signed contracts/executed offers. They had vacancies to fill, they werent there to stroke candidates egos and give them feel good interviews, or make an appearance for appearance sake.
Third, yes they can be obnoxious, what are you going to do about it, their leadership, your coming to them. Youre a commodity, theres no difference between you and a cow at the county fair, even the blue ribbon winning cow is still just a cow, what does the rancher or the buyer care what the cow thinks. Why should or would tier 1 leadership think or care what some IT who isnt their peer think, or feel. They could kick and spit on you and it wouldnt matter to them, 10 years later when they would be interested, youre still going to be the one coming to them, and if youre not, so what there is a long line of candidates who will take what they have to offer.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Elite tier admin seem to have mental health issues, thanks to the inordinate expectations from the board, extremely demanding parents who can extract more than a pound. I'dn't take their attitude at their face value. These folks don't wanna risk by being adventurous in hiring new teachers. Particularly in East and SE Asia, it's almost like an exchange program where teachers move from one tier 1 to another. This particular 'premier' school in Thailand consistently hires teachers from a school in Beijing that rhymes like 'Bob'. They even offer leadership positions for these folks and that's the level of trust they have in them, but these recruits are not much different from a solid teacher at a tier 2 school. It's ironic when connections and being cost-effective rank higher on admin's list than talent and willingness to work hard. Imagine playgrounds for rich boys, that's what some of these elite schools have become. All that talk about invention, innovation and disruption is more of a PR stunt than a genuine desire to make a difference.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Successful businesses are run by being cost effective, its a keystone of successful management. ISs arent municipal entities that can just write a check from the government treasury, you dont stay in leadership wasting coin when someone else can come along and offer to do the same job or better for less coin.

ITs are very indistinct from one another, the concept of talent is mostly an illusion, either an IT can teach or they cant teach. We see 4 inflection points in IT quality improvement at 1 year, 2 years 4 years and 8 years, with the biggest improvements at 1 and 2 years, with 4 years being noteworthy but nothing to have a parade over and 8 years as more a milestone with a 'thats interesting, two more years until your Starbucks gift card" increase in quality. The rest of the claims of "talent" in IE are ITs with special snowflake condition, who think they are awesome. The job is: show up, dont be late, do your monkey dance at the front of the class, answer questions, keep the students in their seat and get your marking/grading done in a somewhat reasonable amount of time. Its not rocket science, its not curing cancer and its not rigging an election. So why would a recruiter/leadership pay more coin or OSH benefits for what is essentially a comparable product. ITs are different and quality varies, but the differences in 'talent' are marginal and they certainly dont justify a factor of increase in comp.

While I agree with @fine dude that elite tier leadership have some socialization issues that might be part of overall occupational mental health issues, I understand where they are coming from. Its annoying listening to all these ITs that want an appointment at your IS, like your in the streets of India and the ITs are beggars all wanting something, it really can get annoying, and the noise can be aggravating such that they disconnect from social expectations of a professional edu, it just gets to a point you dont care what the ITs think any more they came to meet and greet with X ITs for Y vacancies, and they arent going to go through the motions of what amounts to as ego stroking for the 'other' ITs. They just want everyone else ho isnt on their to do list to go away and lave them alone.

Concur with @fine dude most of that pop.ed is just lip service for their PR benefit, there are a lot of elite tier ISs that still provide instruction old school and looks a lot like chalk and talk, drill and kill.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

"Successful businesses are run by being cost effective, its a keystone of successful management. ISs arent municipal entities that can just write a check from the government treasury, you dont stay in leadership wasting coin when someone else can come along and offer to do the same job or better for less coin."

That's a sweeping statement, PG. It's about finding the middle path between quality folks and being cost-effective. You can't simply rubbish the former to achieve the latter, just not sustainable. Leadership wastes a ton of money on useless PD, flying pseudo sleep/wellness experts from the other side of the world. The problem is there is a very small handful of genuine school leaders, the rest are intellectual failures-turned-salesmen spouting gibberish. These guys won't last a day in a college or corporate leadership position although they infamously call themselves CEOs.
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

Twoteachers, that is what we experienced particularly with the fool in Manila
MartElla

Post by MartElla »

twoteachers and mysharona - best not to take it personally. They have tons of teachers wanting an interview with them and none of those teachers want to take no for an answer. A few years down the line with more experience/a better school on your resume and you'll be a different proposition. The difference between my first fair and my second fair was substantial. I had another five years of experience to go to bat with.

Experience counts for a lot. You don't need tier 1 experience to get into a tier 1 school, but you do need to have something that makes you stand out from the crowd on the resume. Those leaders that have been mentioned, it should be noted, run excellent schools and are highly respected by their faculty. You're not likely to get to know them at their best at a job fair signup session.