ME without fair?

mrspepper

ME without fair?

Post by mrspepper »

Any possibility of landing a job in a really nice school in the ME without going to a fair or registering with an agency?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

There are no really nice schools in the ME. That said if you have some experience and a real teaching qualification you can get a ME teaching job pretty much year round by just emailing them an application packet, and not messing up the interview. Really the ME has hired people who werent even teachers and other who had serious criminal records.
gus

Post by gus »

Really...no nice schools in the ME??? Come on!! What are you trying to accomplish with these comments?
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

So imagine the nicest school in the world, anywhere, now lift that school up and move it to the middle east. Its not the nicest school anymore because its in the middle east now. No matter how great a school is you dont "live" in the school, you live in the city/region your in. Ill repeat my views again, Too many rules not enough fun. There was a poster on here saying they had a ladies night, seriously a ladies night? Try Bangkok theres a ladies night everyday there. Shanghai, Tokyo, Coppenhagen, Rome, way more fun. I mean what do you say when your out with your friends "Look at the Burka on that girl".
What else have people bragged you can do, shopping, really you can go shopping ANYWHERE in the world. What else oh yes the person who said you can go "Dessert Camping", for the record thats sleeping in the sand, when i go to the beach I try to shower all the sand off of me before I go to sleep.
The only reason to go to the ME is for the money.
gus

Post by gus »

I have been in the ME 10 years. 5 in Egypt, 2 at a lower tier school, 3 at a mid tier, 5 years in the UAE at a top tier school. Loved our experience in Egypt, daughter was born there. Love AD, son born here. Just spent our 2nd Christmas vacation here. Can walk to school, I cycle about 300km per week, and run and participate in a number of triathlons, went fishing over the break 2X, usually go about 8-10X per year...catch Mahi and Tuna, went camping twice and on the beach nearly every day, took kids ice skating (not in a mall), and many other activities. Go to 3-5 good concerts a year, F1. AD International triathlon, Speedboat races, was on court with Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray at the tennis last month and next weekend will follow tiger and others around the golf course, as well as local activities (Falcon Festival, Dhow races), and many other things. Very hot in the spring and fall but weather is perfect now and for about 7 months of the year. Probably the best teaching faculty I have worked with and without a doubt the best student body I have worked with...could go on, but and every place has their +'s and -'s but won't say there is no good schools in ME! Many people come here and are surprised by the quality of life and experience. We are moving to Asia this year for a different experience but will certainly miss our time in the ME.

Also didn't mention how incredibly safe it is especially with children!
sid

Re: Comment

Post by sid »

[quote="PsyGuy"] "Dessert Camping", for the record thats sleeping in the sand, [/quote]

For the record, that's pitching a tent among the custards and cakes, I suppose. Sounds like fun to me.

Perhaps I just have less interest in ladies nights... I certainly never used them as a measuring stick of different cities. Different strokes for different folks?
jbiersteker

Cycling

Post by jbiersteker »

Hi Gus,

What type of cycling do you do in the ME? I'm a roadie and one of the considerations (I know its crazy) is the ability to do a little bit of cycling at least, and hopefully in a club.

thanks!!
mrspepper

Post by mrspepper »

Thanks for the info Gus. Any chance you could share the names of a few schools that are safe and high quality in the ME in your opinion? If you don't want to share here, I can give you my email.
gus

Post by gus »

This is always subjective but: American school of Dubai, American school of Doha, American community school of Abu Dhabi, ABA Oman and TAISM Oman are all great schools. American community school of Amman is a solid choice and offers something different than the gulf. Depending on your experience and what you are looking for there are other tier 2 schools in the region that would be a good place to get international experience and/or make good money. The bad schools here can be real bad but but the schools I mentioned are very good.

Cycling...it always amazes me the quality of the road cycling here and the numbers. Dubai, Doha, Abu Dhabi, Egypt all have high quality cycling clubs with good numbers and Dubai now has a dedicated road cycling track and Abu Dhabi opens the F1 circuit evey Tuesday to cyclists and runners. Last Friday I was in one of 3 or 4 cycling groups that went out of Abu Dhabi and there were about 25 in my group. I heard Wolfi's group in Dubai started with over 100 riders last weekend before they split up.

Different strokes for different folks but be careful listening to people who tell you certain regions or types of schools are off limits. We have loved out time here and I have about 110 colleagues who would all speak VERY highly of our school and the region. Many of our teachers have been at the school 7+ years and many came from other schools in the region.

Hope that helps
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@gus

Come on "CYCLING", really? You can ride a bike ANYWHERE in the world. Its even something you can do in the States now I hear. You can go camping ANYWHERE (camping for the record is what homeless people call "living"). Go far enough and youll hit a beach EVERYWHERE (even Denmark has beaches). Even Singapore has ice skating (indoor). You can play tennis anywhere, even small rural cities have a school or university with a tennis court.
When are the ME cheerleaders going to stop trying to sell the region on ordinary activities. Next thing you know their going to start bragging about their air.

@sid

I dont know depends if i woke up in the morning with my face in a cream puff, having slept on a cheesecake all night.

Im not big into "ladies nights" either, if a club has to use free cover and cheap drinks to get woman in the door, its not likely to be the type of woman I want to meet or spend money on.
gus

Post by gus »

Sorry PSGUY. Really didn't have much respect for your opinion before, none now. Pretty much outlined my activities and what I do here. As I said, it's not for everyone but seems everyone at my school is pretty happy with no shortage of things to do.

If anyone has questions about the ME I'm happy to try and answer...the good, the bad, and the ugly without a sales job. I am leaving the region after 10 years to have nothing to gain in 'selling' the place but some of you will miss out on a really good experience by striking the ME off your list if it's well suited to you.

FYI - 10 years international and 14 years experience in Canada (including principal and assistant principal) so not like I just landed in the ME without anything to compare it to.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I think thou doust protest too much. You can't claim to not have an agenda and then advertise your sales pitch.

I'm not trying to win a popularity contest.
Kby

Post by Kby »

I'm only familiar with the UAE and from what I'm aware GEMS corporation, and Taaeleem network of schools are the largest private school networks here. Taaleem is actually having a recruitment fair in Dubai on the 19th.