Teaching-Thailand

return

Teaching-Thailand

Post by return »

Can anyone recommend any schools in Thailand with a younger staff? A school where you are not strictly teaching English. I have been looking around but wondered if anyone had any advice. Thank you for your help.
Last edited by return on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

'A school were you are not strictly teaching English.'

You completely lost me with this part. Maybe reword your question for those of us with less cryptic abilities and we might be able to help more.
return

Post by return »

Forgive me. I am looking for a school where you teach multiple subjects in English. Not a school where you only teach the students the English language. It is common to find younger employees at these ESL schools. Does anyone happen to know of a school where you teach multiple subjects that has younger teachers?
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Here is the rule of thumb for any big asian city. Tier 2 and 3 schools with American or British curriculum are your best bet. These schools can't afford to pay older and experienced certified teachers. So, they would go for newbies or those with a couple of years experience or highly experienced but non-certified teachers.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Just avoid the bottom feeder schools (unfortunately there are MANY of these in Bangkok) who hire unqualified, non-certified staff on mostly local hire contracts. These are the schools that tend to just want a white face to teach English in the classroom and nothing else. They also tend to pay awful wages - less than 60k baht/month, sometimes much less.

Not sure how you will fare finding a school with a younger staff. In my experience there is a lot of age-diversity among expats in Bangkok, even in ESL type schools. Everything from twenty-somethings starting out to retirees included.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Look for schools that have an actual curriculum (preferably western, meaning IB, IGCSE, American, Canadian). Then look for schools that pay more then 60K Baht. Thats going to be the bottom or tier 3 schools. Id post your question over at the Ajarn Forums:

http://www.ajarnforum.net/
return

Post by return »

Thank you all for your suggestions and forum link. I feel I have a few good options in place. I wouldn't quite say they are the most youthful places but diversity is good.
Ddd

Post by Ddd »

Www.isat.or.th

Open the link and you can look at various schools. Shot gun approach perhaps, if you are new to the scene and definitely want to be in Bkk.
Good luck!