ASF Monterrey

WiscoKid

ASF Monterrey

Post by WiscoKid »

Anyone know anything about ASF Monterrey in Mexico. I hear really good things about the city and the school seems to be reviewed well. I would just like to hear some first-hand reviews of the school.
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

Nothing firsthand, but I have a friend there. She really likes it and recently renewed her contract.
Alexandru

Post by Alexandru »

I work in Monterrey right now, but not at ASF. From what I've heard through many people, ASF is THE best school in Monterrey and definitely on the top schools in Mexico. I've heard that try pay well, but that you will be asked to work pretty hard for your money. I also know that a lot of people tend to renew their contracts, so it must be a pretty good place. As for Monterrey, I like it a lot. I haven had any problems with crime or safety yet. Despite what the media has said about the safety of Monterrey over the last few years, I would say that it's safe. It's a big city, and it has a lot to offer. Let me know if I can answer any more questions for you.
WiscoKid

Post by WiscoKid »

@Alexandru

Thank you for the feedback. I have heard some good things about this school, but it is always nice to hear from someone firsthand that is close to the area. What type of things are there to to in Monterrey and surrounding areas? I have a family of four and we like to be outside. How far are you from the beach and is the river through town decent? Thank you.
WiscoKid

Post by WiscoKid »

Sorry one more thing...What is the climate like year-round? Does it really get cold? How about rain/snowfall?
Alexandru

Post by Alexandru »

It's a good city for people that like the outdoors. The only catch is that you need to have a car or know someone who has a car to get to many of those places. Montrerrey, as a whole, is a "car city." If you don't have a car, then it would be less fun. I use public transportation, which is good, but I have friends who have brought me to the cool places in and around Monterrey.

That being said, there are mountains, waterfalls, caves, forests, and rivers outside of Monterrey, all of which are great. I'm not sure if you're referring to the natural river that flows through Monterrey (which is dried up sadly) or the man-made river called Paseo Santa Lucia. The man made river is really pretty. There are a few restaurants along it, ferries that travel through it, and a big park at the end of it. Also, there are sidewalks on each side so you can travel from one end to the other.

The ocean is about four hours away. I haven't been to that part of the ocean yet, though.

It gets really hot in the summer. During the winter, it can get cold in the morning, but hot in the afternoon. Monterrey has very bipolar weather. There is a saying here that if you don't like the weather in Monterrey, come back it five minutes. It changes a lot. It doesn't snow here, really. I've heard that it has snowed in the past, but it melts right away. When it rains here, it pours. It doesn't rain too often, though.

If you want more information about the outdoor places inside and outside Monterrey, Google these places: Macroplaza, Grutas de Garcia, Parque Chipinque, Cola de Caballo, Cerro de la Silla, and Santiago.
WiscoKid

Post by WiscoKid »

@Alexandru

Thank you again for the feedback. A lot of great information and it has made me a little more interested in the area. What is the culture like in and around the city? I hear it is very "Americanized," but is there still Mexican culture that exists? What about the language, is it mostly English or is it predominantly Spanish?

When you talk about needing access to a car, is it reasonable to own one? What is the cost of living like in this area? Is it pretty easy to love with the salary from teaching? How about travel (flights) around Mexico and to Central/South America? Is it cheaper at all that you are in Mexico?

Do you own a cell phone? Is it pretty easy to obtain and have a cell phone in Mexico?

Sorry for all the question, but I really appreciate your info. This school has been in our top 5, but is slowly moving up the list the more I learn about it. A lot will come down to the package they have to offer at the school if it gets that far.
Alexandru

Post by Alexandru »

It's Americanized in the sense that it has a lot of American restaurants. There is still plenty of culture. Mexicans really appreciate their culture, and are also friendly. I often get invited to parties here. I even got invited to a family BBQ the first night I was here by someone I met that day. There is Mexican food in Monterrey, of course. Monterrey is known for "cabrito," which is roast goat kid. I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard that either you love it or hate it. I've also been invited to quinsinettas (ceremony for a 15 year old girl) and weddings, both of which were very "Mexican." A lot of young people know English, but it depends where you are and who they are. In restaurants, people probably won't know much English, so be prepared to use Spanish. They appreciate if you try.

I can't really say much about owning a car. Gas is expensive. I do know that. A lot of people in Monterrey use cars, so it must be somewhat affordable. If you worked at ASF, I'm guessing that you would live in San Pedro, which is the rich part of the city. It's very safe. Rent is more expensive there, though. I pay $400 for a one bedroom apartment in a decent area, but I'd you have a family, expect to pay double that. I'm sure ASF would give you a housing allowance of some kind, and I know that they are one of the highest paying schools in all of Latin America. You mentioned you have a spouse? Will they work? I send a lot of money home for student loans, and I'm able to go out to eat and do whatever with my salary. Don't expect to save a lot, though.

Traveling within Mexico by bus or plane is cheap. I went to Mexico City for a Christmas, and I paid $180 for a round trip plane ticket. Traveling to other countries in Latin America is expensive, though. Check prices online. I don't know about plane ticket prices for those countries.

I'm typing these replies from an iPhone, which I use in Mexico. It's unlocked, so I can use it anywhere. To buy a cell phone here, I think you need to show TelCel (the biggest phone company here) your FM3 work visa. Phone plans here are a little lower than in the United States. I don't have a plan. I just buy credit every week. I probably spend $30/month for credit. I call and use the Internet with my phone.

Sorry if my information is a little vague. I've only been here for half a year, so I don't have details on everything. Let me know of you need more information.
ready2go

Post by ready2go »

ASFM seems to have a lot of openings, any thoughts as to why that might be the case?
Autumn

Families

Post by Autumn »

Your thoughts on the place/school/lifestyle for families with small children?
Alexandru

Post by Alexandru »

Sorry, I don't have any more information about the school. Everything that I know has already been written in my previous posts.
WiscoKid

Post by WiscoKid »

My wife and I had interviews with ASFM and I was also curious about the number of positions. Of the open positions, only 2 or 3 are people leaving. The others are for new positions because of the growth. I have been doing a great deal of research about the school and city and it seems to be a pretty great place.

@Alexandru

What would be a reasonable package to accept for a couple to live comfortably and save a good amount living in Monterrey? I am curious as to what the expenses would be per month that I would need to account for if I am offered a deal. Thank you for any help.
ready2go

Post by ready2go »

@WiscoKid: You had interviews? How did they go? Is there a process to go through like a second round of interviews? They have some positions that I'm interested in and so I'm curious as to how they operate. Any info you can give me about their process would be greatly appreciated.
WiscoKid

Post by WiscoKid »

@ready2go

My wife and I had two rounds of interviews, but they were pretty laid back. We interviewed with two principals and talked about everything from our family to our teaching philosophy to living in the city. They said they travel to some fairs, but were interested in talking to us before. They said they normally hire at fairs, but in some circumstances, they are willing to extend contracts before if they find the right person. They seemed pretty interested and I look forward to hearing back. It was not on the top of our list, but has moved up quickly. It would be hard to turn down a sure thing to try our luck at the fair.
ready2go

Post by ready2go »

@WiscoKid How far apart were the two interviews?