Job prospects for a PhD but no teaching credential?

Teachermom

Job prospects for a PhD but no teaching credential?

Post by Teachermom »

A friend of mine is graduating next year with a PhD in History (emphasis in Mid East and World). However, the post-secondary market is awful.

Do any international schools hire PhD's without teaching credentials? She had a teaching credential many years ago, but it's long lapsed. She lived abroad for 20 years in the Mid East and has a non-teaching spouse but no children. She has published scholarly books and taught undergraduate history classes for the past 5 years.

Is this even an option? She's interested in Asia, but anywhere in the world, really.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Tell her to try Al Faisal University in Riyadh.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

Why doesn't she try post secondary options around the world. Western unis are opening campuses around to make a quick buck, those would be her best bet. But history is not of great demand since most students want to go into business, finance, law to make money or engineering or med. Uni packages make IT packages look rubbish especially since they value subject mastery much more than schools.

Reputable schools can't go past the no teaching cert part. There are the third tier schools that kinda suck in terms of package.
Teachermom

Post by Teachermom »

Thank you! I'll pass on your advice.
Mick Travis

Phds

Post by Mick Travis »

Private secondary schools in England are saturated with teachers who have PHds and no proper teaching credentials, though this is changing.

Admin love to have 'Dr' this and that on their staff roll, regardless of whether they are crap teachers, because it impresses the parents.

What annoys me is

a) PhDers who don't really want to teach secondary but settle for it because they can't get a job in tertiary.

b) Admin who love to have 'Dr' this and that on their staff roll, regardless of whether they are crap teachers, because it impresses the parents.

Both make it difficult for decent classroom teachers to get jobs in good schools. I'd say the same thing about MAs MPHils and other such qualification creep, but I know that it is de rigeur for my American colleagues to do these straight out of college.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

I would rather have my children been 'taught' by someone that knows their stuff. The small things they say are what can inspire students to heights in their subject a good teacher can't.

What really ticks me off in the profession are the ones with just teaching degrees but don't really know their subject since they don't have a degree in it. Sure they can produce 'ok' exam results, but most students don't develop true understanding and can't really apply what they learn. I found it hilarious in China that all our grade tens had stronger algebra skills than the non-Asian hires in the math department.

With the exception of options in the IB dip, all teachers should master the subject material and it should be trivial knowledge to us. If you don't use calculus in physics, then you shouldn't teach it (even though school kids don't really need to use it, but should)
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

You really need a certification. There are schools that will hire a Ph.D without a certification and it does look good on their faculty roster but most recruiters and admins know that such a teacher is only killing time until they can move on to a tertiary appointment. Ph.Ds with university aspirations dont make good long term investments. K-12 isnt just a waiting place for those awaiting a professorship, and admins know this. I think your friend will be successful in finding a position, though its not going to be a top tier school, and most likely a third tier school.

The vast majority of doctoral programs train students to be researchers not educators. Knowing your subject doesnt mean you know or are able to transfer that knowledge. Academics do better in a teacher centered classroom and can be successful because thats very close to the lecture delivery model in undergraduate courses.

A teacher needs to be a master of their teaching content, but the level of expertise required to be a master in K-12 instruction is a much lower standard then it is in tertiary education. Knowing rocket science, doesnt mean you need to be a rocket scientist.
Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga »

I think it would be possible to get a job, but ultimately, it would be safer to have a teaching credential. Missouri allows people with Ph.D.'s to get one, without what appears to be much extra work. It might be worth looking into: http://dese.mo.gov/eq/cert/routes-to-certification.htm