seriously, psyguy. what gives?

teacherleah

seriously, psyguy. what gives?

Post by teacherleah »

Dear Givers of Good Advice,

What is the deal with this PsyGuy? Does he really provide inaccurate information on such a regular basis? Is it intentional or is he just sadly and consistently misinformed? What would motivate someone to intentionally give out invalid advice?

It bums me out. I came to this forum looking for real advice because the prospect of applying to far away jobs, moving overseas, etc is scary due to the number of unknowns. There isn't a handbook for this. I don't even want to think of how muddy it seems to someone who doesn't even know about this forum.

Anyway, I have posted a few times under this name and another and the sad truth is that PsyGuy is one of the only people that has responded to me at times. It's frustrating to think that the advice might be wrong or useless.

What is a person supposed to do? Add "NO PSYGUY" to the subject line? Hope that someone besides him responds and that they offer real advice instead of just bickering with PsyGuy? Couldn't we all decide to collectively ignore him? These fueds only fuel the fire.

Please don't respond to this PsyGuy. All I have for you is one big sigh.

Signed,
Bummed.
antitravolta

Post by antitravolta »

<Grabs popcorn and prepares for the show>
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

[quote="antitravolta"]<Grabs popcorn and prepares for the show>[/quote]
<grabs beer and Santa hat>
Lopaka

Post by Lopaka »

I understand your frustration....when I first started following this forum I actually thought he was serious and committed to helping others. But it didn't take long to realize the truth. I just choose to ignore him and hope his advise, or lack there of, doesn't harm anyone.

There are people on this forum who do provide great advice, perspectives, and information. As I head out to my first International assignment, I can thank this forum for numerous tips on interviewing, resume writing, what to bring, job fairs, etc., etc.

Just remember, one bad apple doesn't spoil the whole bunch.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: seriously, psyguy. what gives?

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="teacherleah"]Dear Givers of Good Advice,

What is the deal with this PsyGuy? Does he really provide inaccurate information on such a regular basis? Is it intentional or is he just sadly and consistently misinformed? What would motivate someone to intentionally give out invalid advice?

It bums me out. I came to this forum looking for real advice because the prospect of applying to far away jobs, moving overseas, etc is scary due to the number of unknowns. There isn't a handbook for this. I don't even want to think of how muddy it seems to someone who doesn't even know about this forum.

Anyway, I have posted a few times under this name and another and the sad truth is that PsyGuy is one of the only people that has responded to me at times. It's frustrating to think that the advice might be wrong or useless.

What is a person supposed to do? Add "NO PSYGUY" to the subject line? Hope that someone besides him responds and that they offer real advice instead of just bickering with PsyGuy? Couldn't we all decide to collectively ignore him? These fueds only fuel the fire.

Please don't respond to this PsyGuy. All I have for you is one big sigh.

Signed,
Bummed.[/quote]

--------------------------------------------

But there's the rub. You start out fine, asking for a rational solution or compromise but then have to add a PsyGuy don't respond disclaimer. That type of post is really akin to children running around saying, "I'm ignoring you, I'm ignoring you." Clearly not productive and somewhat disingenuous.

I think that if you read PsyGuy's many (many, many) posts with a fair eye, you will see that he offers a reasonable amount of good information and/or advice mixed in with the over-reaches. The very fact that he feels compelled to answer so many posts and sometimes overuses the always and nevers, dilutes his message and at times admittedly leads him into positions that are difficult to defend and uncomfortable to read.

The best solution to Psyguy (if he needs one) is the same solution to keeping any forum productive and civil. If you disagree, then state why and offer your own input/experience/evidence etc. to balance what you percieve as bad advice or information. The casual reader can then make their own decisions about what is posted.

When things get personal and threads get highjacked, then the information gets lost (even though it does make for occassionally entertaining reading).

There's my 2 cents. IMHO. FWIW.
txteach

Post by txteach »

I have seen some good, thoughtful posts from him. I think the bashing is just as bad as the worst bad advice he might have offered.

My two cents!
teacherleah

Post by teacherleah »

I didn't intend for my post to bash him at all. I am genuinely frustrated and concerned. When I had responses from him (and until I noticed all of the arguments), I assumed that since he is such an active member, the advice must be good. I mean, this is a forum for people to help other people, right? Surely my confusion is understandable. There is a lot of Team Go To Heck PsyGuy and an absence of Team PsyGuy is My Guy. Truthfully, I want to believe that there is some good advice sprinkled in there, because some of the advice was what I wanted to hear! If I consider the opinions of what appears to be the majority of this forum, it is hard for me to trust him. If he is not to be trusted, then I want to know what motivates him out of curiosity.

So basically, my original post was to complain and whine. So lame and utterly useless. Now I'll go put antlers on my dog and steal everyone's presents.

Thank you for your responses! Nothing is black and white, it's true.
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I have always found his advice helpful, with a healthy serving of sarcasm. This doesn't bother me at all, but I know that some people can be more sensitive, a little thin skinned. Understandable when the IS life is such a big step.

The forum is a far more entertaining place w him in it.
spruxy

Post by spruxy »

The info he has provided for me has been nothing but helpful.
sid

Post by sid »

PG often has good advice. Unfortunately he is sometimes, and regularly, just plain wrong, and it is hard to tell the difference if you're the one asking the question.
I could perhaps accept that, were it not that he is often also rude and belittling. Everyone makes the occasional mistake, but there's never a reason for rudeness.
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

If people are upset by what he says i don't understand why the person who is asking the questions just doesn't delete what he said. Sometimes that person will continue arguing with him. If you don't want him to say anything on your thread then you can delete his comments.

His posts have contained good advice but also somethings which have been very wrong. (Like his view of the middle east.) I am glad I am not a newbie as this forum can sometimes make it all more confusing.
senator

Post by senator »

He could be a 16 year old international school student having fun with all of us.
That could explain a lot of the things he has said.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

I agree completely with Sid. Good and bad advice together with terrible manners.
senator

Post by senator »

Just like...

a 16 year old boy!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I have been off and on the international circuit since 1998. A lot of what PsyGuy says is what I would write myself. Some of it is a bit out there - but I would not recommend throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

If I was to weigh PsyGuy's advice - it would be >85 in favor.

Just my 2 halalas (you can guess where I am from that!)