Job fair in Asia

rickster

Job fair in Asia

Post by rickster »

Great posts below, and a lot of helpful information before I even write--so thanks to everone. I do have a few questions, and thanks in advance for your help:

1. I am at the end of two year contract at an international school here in Thailand and may be moving on next year. We would like to stay in Southeast Asia, so would be looking at ISS or Search in Bangkok. My wife is an elementary teacher from the Phlippines, and has substituted quite a bit at my present school. Should I/can I bring her along with me to the fair?

2. What would be the most expedient route to get her a U.S. certification if necessary? Can it be done here in Thailand, or via the Internet?

3. I was encouraged by the responses to "Single Mom" below, and hope that I, too, would not be at a disavantage, especially because we plan on staying in Asia (less airfare costs for the school, possibly?. Assuming her Western certification will take awhile, would my position as a husband of a "non-working" wife be a detriment?

Great site, and thanks again!
happy teaching

certification

Post by happy teaching »

A few teachers at a previous school earned their certification online or through summer programs. One with Michigan U, and two with a US university (can't remember which one) but in Majorca in the summers. Also a Florida university (NSLU or something like that??? the logo looks like a sun) had a lot of online offerings for teacher cert. programs.

Search the web for teacher degree programs online, and several come up. Some colleges also advertise in TIE and other international teacher-aimed newspapers or magazines.

It is much easier to get a job if both members of a couple are working, but not impossible to find jobs for one teacher with a dependent spouse. It just limits your options. If your partner wants to get certified, it will certainly give you more choices of places to work.