Is it worth it?

RunnerGirl

Is it worth it?

Post by RunnerGirl »

I have a question aimed at recruiters. I am in my first international posting and loving it. I have 6 years experience teaching science and am teaching history for the first time at my new job. (I am certified in both areas.). For my next job, how critical will top notch schools be of the fact that I don't have a degree in history? I'm debating the merits of a few extra classes to deepen my knowledge versus a full degree program. Thoughts?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

if you looking at elite/premier international schools, you will be at a disadvantage not having a degree in your teaching subject. Whether its worth it or not depends what you do now in your current history position and how well you market your experience to a recruiter. If your students score well on their IB/IGCSE/AP exams, and you show not only depth and bredth of knowledge but create engaging units of study those are going to be more persuasive to a recruiter then a transcript. A transcript says you have knowledge, it doesnt say anything bout your ability to transfer it to your students. The issue is going to be of course proving/demonstrating to a recruiter that through your students success, you have content mastery.

All that being said, on paper not having a degree in your teaching subject is a disadvantage.