ISS Bangkok Fair for someone not already contacted

morningcalm

ISS Bangkok Fair for someone not already contacted

Post by morningcalm »

Hi everyone,

If anyone has some advice here, and PsyGuy, I'd really love to hear your take on this, I would be most grateful.

It's my 4th year internationally at a small school and am going to the ISS Bangkok fair. I've got 8 years of teaching experience in the public system and have been a MS/HS (from 6th-algebra 2) math teacher for 4 years now. Had one interview with a top school recently that didn't go anywhere--must polish my skills there!--but no bites otherwise. Two kids with a non-teaching spouse (who is certified to teach but not in American/Canada etc.). Masters degree in ed technology and some conference presentations.

Questions:

1) If one has been turned down, are other top-tier schools going to likewise turn one down? Top admins know one another etc.

2) Is it only the middle east and parts of Asia that are realistic options here?

3) Given 8 years experience as a "generalist" teacher (of math, English, science, and other subjects, every year) and 4 at a smaller 3rd tier international school in East Asia, am I going to be competitive at ISS Bangkok? Should I compose an animoto etc to highlight myself. Been reluctant to do that?

I'm registered to go, flight, hotel etc., but am having second thoughts. I'll practise my interviewing but would like some feedback from the forum if possible.

Many thanks!
wrldtrvlr123

Re: ISS Bangkok Fair for someone not already contacted

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="morningcalm"]Hi everyone,

Questions:

1) If one has been turned down, are other top-tier schools going to likewise turn one down? Top admins know one another etc.

2) Is it only the middle east and parts of Asia that are realistic options here?

3) Given 8 years experience as a "generalist" teacher (of math, English, science, and other subjects, every year) and 4 at a smaller 3rd tier international school in East Asia, am I going to be competitive at ISS Bangkok? Should I compose an animoto etc to highlight myself. Been reluctant to do that?

I'm registered to go, flight, hotel etc., but am having second thoughts. I'll practise my interviewing but would like some feedback from the forum if possible.

Many thanks![/quote]
----------------------------------------------------
I've never been to an ISS fair but have been to several Search fairs (2x's in BKK).

IMHO if your experience was enough to get you an interview with a top school outside/prior to the fairs, then you should get some interest at the fair. After that, it's up to you to convince a principal/admin that you are too good to pass up. You are an expensive hire, but if a school really wants you, then it could happen. I don't think that one bad interview is going to hurt you with other schools. Admin do talk, but I wouldn't get too paranoid about the old boys network.

Yes, Asia and the ME will be your best bets but you never know. Put yourself out there at the fair and keep an open mind about location.
Hone your interview message/persona and good things will happen.
morningcalm

Thanks!

Post by morningcalm »

Thanks, wrldtrvlr123! Appreciate your take. I'll hone those skills, as you say, and hopefully good things will happen.

All the best!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

First, where is your wifes teaching credential from, she doesnt have to be a westerner to be an IT (though it helps).

Assuming your interview went well, and you didnt interview in your underpants, or something unusual, a recruiter isnt likely to remember your interview from anyone else. Just because your not a good fit for one school doesnt mean your not exactly what another school is looking for. What would they say anyway? It would be like a joke without a punch line, wheres the story? I mean if you interview in your underpants and turn the cammera on thats a story, you tell the other recruiters while having a drink or gossiping in the recruiters lounge. If its just you were interviewed and they didnt hire you, thats like me saying "hey you wont believe this but yesterday i want to the pet store and there was this guy buying cat food." You blink, and theres a long momment of silence because your waiting for more, and thats just it, you saw a person buying cat food at the pet store.

Ok heres the problem with you as a math teacher. Your not really a math teacher, your a middle school generalist who can teach low level math. Top tier schools dont have a lot of turnover, there most likely looking for one person, and they are going to want someone on their faculty who can teach all secondary meaning 6-12, pre-algebra to calculus , AND has experience teaching high level math. Hireing you as a math teacher is handicapping my staff, i can only use you in lower grades, and if thats all i can get then thats what i work with, but top tier schools dont have to settle, they can easily hire someone who can and has taught it all.

When you ask if the ME and Asia are the only options, what else were you thinking? WE isnt happening youd starve on a single salary with a family of four in WE (no housing, high taxes, and you pay tax on your tuition waivers). Id say a first tier school in the ME, a second tier school in Asia (not the twin tigers: JP & HK) and a first tier school in the ME or S/C America.

If you focus on math your not going to be competitive at BKK. if you shift focus to a MS generalist position your a lot more competitive, but you have a larger pool of candidates and less demand. The real issue is that your a MS generalist, with 4 dependents, thats an expensive hire, and your going to have a lot of frustration, and hear "were waiting" a lot from the schools you "want" to be at.
I see two outcomes:

1) You signup for Math positions, you get a good number of interviews, but then they fold when they find out you cant teach upper level math and you have a trailing spouse and 2 kids. You end up leaving with nothing and an expensive credit card bill for the privilege.

2) You signup for Generalist positions you get only a couple interviews and you end up waiting until May when you get some 2nd tier offers.

Either way the fair doesnt work out for you, and IF you get an offer you get it late in the recruiting season, and not from where you really want to go.
morningcalm

thanks!

Post by morningcalm »

Thanks PsyGuy! Really apprciate the feedback. My wife's teaching credential is from Korea. I have taught up to Pre-Calculus (which of course isn't AP Cal or Stats). I could get my certification for the upper math to be ready for next summer. But you're right: should have done this before. I didn't realize MS math teachers should be able to teach all the way through.

Many thanks again!
morningcalm

experience addendum

Post by morningcalm »

I should add, too, that my experience prior to teaching at a small international school was in Canada with a Catholic school.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Morningcalm,

if you have taught in the Catholic system and you are a practicing Catholic (or can show your confirmation, baptism, etc) then you have a good crack at the Catholic schools in different places. Google international schools + catholic

You could also try someplace like Concordia in Shanghai, which has a religious bent, Ramrudee in Bangkok which has in the past had a religious bent, and others.

Good luck!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

A SK teaching credential would be more challenging, but not unheard of. I know a Japanese teacher with a Japanese credential in literature who is at a tier 1 school on the IS circuit.

Middle school (MS) means a lot of different things. In many places MS or lower secondary is 6-9 grade. In IB MYP is grades 6-10. Pre Calc is usually around grade 9. ISs want their secondary faculty qualified and capable to teach all secondary grades. Sometimes they have to settle for less, but they aren't if they don't have to.
morningcalm

Cheers!

Post by morningcalm »

Shadowjack and PsyGuy,

Again, really, really appreciate your feedback! You guys are awesome.

I have explored, a bit, the Catholic element, and am more than willing to do so. I'm starting to believe again that things are possible.

All the best, gentlemen!