Please help formulate my long-shot plan...

Jonquil

Please help formulate my long-shot plan...

Post by Jonquil »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for everyone's contributions to this amazing forum! I've read a lot of the replies, and I totally understand that I'm not an attractive candidate for the most part, but I'd like to give it a try this year, if only to get a feel for the process in the future.

So...

- Single, female, no dependents, late 20s

- American passport, education, and teaching license

- BA from Notre Dame (not well known overseas, I know)

- MAT from a regional state university, 2010 (Secondary Ed)

- Teacher certification from State of Oregon; endorsements are secondary Social Studies and Middle Level Multiple Subjects (the latter allows me to teach grades 5-9: math, LA, science, SS...the only areas that are proscribed are the specialty areas---art, music, PE, special ed, reading)

- No experience that would count, from what I've read. I'm in my third year of post-certification, public school subbing. I had a long term subbing assignment for about a semester...I taught AP U.S. History, senior economics, and regular sophomore history, and have a nice letter of rec from it. I've coached high school Mock Trial for three years. (If I could get an interview that didn't start with "So...do you coach basketball? Do you coach volleyball? Do you coach soccer? Do you coach bowling?" I think I would die happy, job offer or not!)

- I would be open to working anywhere, except maybe the Gulf. I really, really want to be a full-time teacher; that's my priority. A fun culture and environment would be nice, of course, but I'm used to entertaining myself.

- As far as school type, I'm an academically-oriented person and went to an academically competitive university...but I grew up attending, and currently sub in, pretty mediocre schools. So, in other words, I'm not going to run screaming from an institution that's not a glowing model of academic rigor. Still, I would want it to be a real school, of course --- one that's at least fairly interested in professional development, in whether students are really learning, and so on.

- I studied in Cairo at AUC for a semester in college; that's my only overseas travel experience other than tourism. Took Arabic for a couple of years; don't remember much, but I guess it might be interpreted as a sign of good will? My Spanish is intermediate, but I'm working on improving it. I work in schools with student populations that are about 40% of Mexican descent.

What I'm gathering from the forum is that the places I might possibly have a chance are China, the Middle East, and Latin America. Is that right? If so, in which of those areas do you think I have the best chance, and how should I spin myself specifically for that region, given what I have to work with?

The QSI application looks extremely straightforward, so I'm going to fill that out, even though I'm not really what they want. Do you think anybody would talk to me if I spent the money for UNI? Would I be able to market myself as an intern with a recruitment service, or do I not really fit the profile for that? Any other ideas or strategies for me?

Thank you so much to everyone for your help, or just for reading!

:wink:
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Hi Jonquil,

you have the basics, minus the experience. So...where to get that. Look for second and upper third tier schools. Have you joined TIEonline yet? They have a ton of jobs posted - and often from schools which post on SEARCH and ISS as well (they save money hiring via TIEonline and get candidates not in the SEARCH ISS databases).

So...the Gulf is nice - have you looked at Dubai American Academy? A GEMS school (for profit) but a good starting point. AS Doha also has a variety of posts going now.

You would definitely be competitive at UNI to a degree - but schools like hiring teaching couples over singles - twice the teaching for half the ancilliary costs (housing, etc).
Danda

Post by Danda »

As I was reading your post, I was thinking that you would have a shot at QSI but then you said, "even though I'm not really what they want." What do you mean by that?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

The schools most likely to be open to you are the middle east (undesirable location and the only plus is the money), China (and some other parts of Asia, such as South Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam), Africa (depends on your definition of school) and S/C America (low salaries).

Notre Dame isnt as well known as Yale, Harvard, or Oxford, but known enough. You certainly wont find an American admin who doesnt recognise it. Really though you cant market yourself on any school except an Ivy. Parents will literally sign their kids up for a school that has Ivy teachers on their faculty, becuase they will believe you have contacts that can get their kids in, or at the least a reference from an "Alum" will carry some weight.

The problem with the basics is that they are just "basic". You really dont have any experience, and so my suggestions are two fold:

1) Join Search as an Intern. Internships in schools that have them are usually full salaries minus the benefits (housing, airfare, etc) basically a local package. Its a way to get into some very good school including tier 1 schools and schools in Europe. The Cambridge fair is the fair to go to in this case.

2) Forget the agencies like Search and ISS. The issue is youve been subbing for three years and a recruiter is going to ask themselves "Why havent they offered you a full time position?". It doesnt matter what your reasoning is, they are going to assume your just not good enough for a public school meaning your DEFIANTLY not good enough for an IS. Go with a service like TIE and understand that you just might have to suffer through 2 years at a 3rd tier school in case you dont get picked up by a second tier school. Its still better then wasting away years as a career substitute.

You could of course always learn to coach...
sid

Post by sid »

If you go with QSI, and I can understand why you might, do not stay there any longer than 3 years. Maybe 2.
It is not well reputed, and while recruiters might be sympathetic to why you went there in the first place, you do not want to be there long enough that they wonder why you didn't leave after getting sufficient full-time experience.
danny514

Post by danny514 »

The number of "international" schools in China is multiplying each year, so if don't mind working in a 3rd tier school, then you should be able to find a job.

I was hired by a school in Shanghai despite being only halfway through my Education degree!

There are drawbacks, however. Be prepared for profit-hungry administrators who cut corners at every opportunity, poor resources, and no professional development to speak of.

BUT...you'll get your own class of (lovely) students, and get some teaching experience under your belt. This is what I'm doing, and I have no regrets.

I would, however, strongly recommend against going to a middle-of-nowhere type of place in China. There's nothing worse than breaking your first contract because you can't cope with the misery of rural China. Stick to Shanghai, Beijing, Suzhou, Hangzhou, maybe Guangzhou (never been) and you'll be just fine.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

If we're making a list of decent, livable cities in China, then add Nanjing, Chengdu, Shenzhen, and possibly Qingdao (I was only there for a weekend as a Model UN chaperone, but I have some friends who have been there going on four years now and they love it).
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

I wouldnt even make it that long a list, stick with Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, and Guangzhou.
Jonquil

Post by Jonquil »

Wow; thanks for the help, everyone.

Shadowjack - I just joined TIEonline; looks interesting. And I've been browsing those school websites also. Very slick, and holy cow, they do have a ton of openings!

Danda - I guess I sounded over-dramatic. I just meant that I "wasn't what QSI wanted" because I don't have the two years' worth of experience they ask for, plus I got the impression from their website, and from comments on the forum, that they're even more set on couples than most. But I'm definitely going to apply anyway---I'm glad you think I might have a shot.

PsyGuy - Thank you for the list of regions to target; I appreciate it very much. I agree that subbing is almost seen as worse than no experience, but as you say, that isn't going to get better if I keep doing it indefinitely. Subbing does have the "advantage" of having made me almost impervious to insult, which is a skill that's very handy when working with teenagers...

sid - Thank you for the heads-up. I'll keep that it mind if that scenario materializes...

danny514 - That's encouraging; thank you!

sevarem - Thanks! I've noticed that Model UN is really popular overseas; it was huge at AUC when I was studying in Cairo. I love coaching Mock Trial, so I'd be really interested in trying MUN too. When I was in high school we tried to do it one year, but the team had to disband before competition. Looked like fun, though.
lennoc

If I was you...

Post by lennoc »

I'd be applying for literally everything you can. Don't be super fussy, a foot in the door of any school that you can stand for 2 years will mean that next recruiting cycle you'll have international experience and be in a much better position.

You're single (ie cheap) and if you are enthusiastic and open to adventures there's sure to be an option out there for you somewhere.

Good luck.