Backdoor strategy: does it work?

danny514

Backdoor strategy: does it work?

Post by danny514 »

For teachers with a decent (but not outstanding) resume, does it make sense to wait until very late in the hiring season (May-August) or even into the new academic year (August-onwards) for the best chance of getting into a tier 1 school?

Here's why I think it might work - say the average top tier school has 100 teachers. Perhaps due to a few teachers breaking contract, taking maternity / sickness leaves, no-shows, or increased enrollment, assume there are 5 or so last minute vacancies per school. Multiply by that by the number of tier 1 schools worldwide, and the number becomes quite large (of course, only a fraction of them will be in a given teacher's subject, but still).

Now, I assume that if a school has a last minute vacancy they will be much less choosy than earlier in the season, hiring anybody who has the basic requirements for the job and doesn't screw up the interview.

So, do my numbers make sense? Do you think this is a viable strategy?
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

I'm not sure that it does. Still, I'm in a school (a decent one I think - odd location) that has a turnover of about 40%, so what do I know?

I think turn over is pretty low in a lot of tier one schools, maybe 10%, so out of your hundred teachers there are only ten teachers to replace. Most of these will have been picked up by the end of January. Most, if not all will show up. Maybe one or two might not be able to start work, but then, you don't even know what those teachers teach. The numbers, I think, would be much lower than you assume, particularly in any one subject area.

Just my thoughts, take it or leave it.

I don't have to give notice until end of February, so my plan is to keep applying until something better comes up. It it doesn't, I'll probably stay here another year. Had a couple of interview offers so far. Couldn't make one, the other is in January by Skype.
hallier

Post by hallier »

Unlikely. I'd say.

I've worked at a few decent schools and there have only been a handful of late vacancies over that time - nearly all could be filled by local hires or clever scheduling, till they got the staff they want.

I am sure the best way to a top school is be the best teacher u can be at your current school and take adv of whatever pd opps you can get.

Your strategy could work, but i'd say it is such a long shot that a "plan b" would be needed.
sid

Post by sid »

I agree. There aren't that many no-shows, certainly not 5 per year on average per top school. Some years my school, with a teaching staff of 250, has none. Other years, it's been as many as three last minute vacancies. True, it's a big hassle for the school and someone needs to be found quickly, but schools still would be very hesitant to hire someone they wouldn't even consider in other circumstances.
Which is an important point. What makes you think you can't get a good job the regular way? be the best teacher you can, raise your game if you think you're not doing enough to be considered in the best schools.
And be careful what you wish for. The pressure is high in the top schools. If someone is a medium teacher (not saying you are) in a medium school, that person might be well miserable trying to deal with the expectations in a top performing school.
So if what you really want is to improve as a teacher, do it before you move.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Thats rationalization not -.

1) Top schools dont have that many no shows. I agree with Sid 1 is most likely, rarely do you have 3 no shows. They tend to recruit established teachers how are far more stabile then newbies. Additionally at top tier schools a significant number of teachers are moving "up" from within the country, in some cases they dont even have to move, these are people who have been in the IT profession for a good deal of there teaching career. As a result very few top tier schools have a sizable inexperienced or "new" staff. With very low turnover, the school is very likely to have only had to hire a couple staff members to begin with. Your more likely to have a faculty member have an emergency or medical leave situation then a no show.

2) Many (all) top tier schools have other resources for staffing needs other then overseas/foreign recruiting. These schools have access to supply agencies, and a network of local hires and long term subs. Additionally, staff assignments are not set in stone, you can move staff around and shift grade assignment, to cover a classroom with your existing staff. There is also likely to be a couple trailing spouses who could fill a lower grade position. All of these options are better and preferable to hiring someone even short term that you otherwise wouldnt hire.