Good Schools/Cities for our kids

Teachermom

Good Schools/Cities for our kids

Post by Teachermom »

I'm trying to find out what are good cities to raise our young kids in. We have taught at a second tier school in Taiwan for a few years and have loved it.

We're looking for:

1. Cities that are safe and don't have awful levels of air pollution (hence HK is out).

2. Reasonable cost of living. Probably Asia or Middle East.

3. Schools with a mix of expat kids, so our kids won't be the only expats in the class.

Any opinions appreciated!
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

I know several families with kids that have worked in Shanghai and absolutely loved it. Yeah, it's China, China's polluted, but I've found that Shanghai pollution isn't so terrible. Many blue sky days, and in the winter, the air feels quite crisp. I think being on the water helps.
Teachermom

Post by Teachermom »

Thanks! What are the best schools in Shanghai?

Can anyone speak to Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, or any Mid Eastern cities? These are all places we're considering but have never been.
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

I'm not sure I would recommend Shanghai with young kids. The air pollution is bad and I would think the impact on young lungs is even greater than on a set of old lungs like mine. Just my thoughts, I don't have any science to back it up with, though you can follow the US consulate's air monitoring station on line.
Ddd

Post by Ddd »

[quote="Teachermom"]Thanks! What are the best schools in Shanghai?

Can anyone speak to Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, or any Mid Eastern cities? These are all places we're considering but have never been.[/quote]

Bkk, Singapore, Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Doha, and most probably KL all good places for kids. Safe, good healthcare, easy to travel (far cheaper in SE Asia)friendly people and lots of expats, etc...

In terms of schools:

Thailand: ISB, NIST, Harrow, Patana, Shrewsbury, KIS
Malaysia: ISKL, Alice Smith, GIS
Sg: UWCSEA, Tanglin, SAS, GESS, CIS perhaps
Dubai: ASD, DESS, Dubai College, DESC, Jumeirah College, Kings, Jebel Ali Primary School, JESS
Abu Dhabi: British School of Al Khubairat, ACS, Aldar Academies
Doha: Qatar Academy, ASD, DESS, Doha College, Park House English School, Sherborne perhaps

Open to debate of course... any of these cities are very good for families in my opinion.
Last edited by Ddd on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JISAlum

Post by JISAlum »

Having been a kid at JIS, SAS and ISKL- I'd say all three, from personal experience, are great. Each has it's own strengths, but your children would be lucky to go to school at any one of those.
Teachermom

Post by Teachermom »

@mysharona--The data on Shanghai is that it's bad, but less than half the air pollution of Cairo, so maybe within reasonable limits? It's hard to decide what are reasonable limits when it comes to your own kids! And I definitely have heard that things like air pollution harm kids more than adults.

@Ddd--Thanks for the great list of schools! I will definitely look into all of these. I'm interested that you didn't include Rumaradee in the Bangkok list...is there something I should know?

@JIS Alum--Thanks! I would love to work at one of those schools, but I'm afraid we aren't that competitive yet. Teaching couple, English and Art. I have 5 years' international experience teaching English and doing Curriculum Coordination, but my husband only has 2 years' full time experience. I just keep hearing how cut-throat the competition is for those top tier schools...do you think we have any chance?
hallier

Post by hallier »

JIS hires inexperienced teachers, so long as they sense those teachers will buy in to the vision of the school. If u r an excellent inquiry oriented teacher with good tech skills and an interest in service learning, you may get in. Inquiry is the big focus at JIS right now. Don't be intimidated by those big schools - absolutely no harm in sending your application their way.
JISAlum

Post by JISAlum »

[quote="hallier"]JIS hires inexperienced teachers, so long as they sense those teachers will buy in to the vision of the school. If u r an excellent inquiry oriented teacher with good tech skills and an interest in service learning, you may get in. Inquiry is the big focus at JIS right now. Don't be intimidated by those big schools - absolutely no harm in sending your application their way.[/quote]

I agree. My wife and I were hired at SAS in June. We had 20 days to sign the contract, pack and go.... Not a 'normal' hire- maybe a pregnancy, sickness or some other last minute fill. However you know you won't be hired if you don't apply. There were a number of 'first timers' at SAS when we were there.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Japan and then Singapore and Japan, are my best recommendations for kids, and if your kids are anything like any other western kids, they will probably be so happy to live an anima/manga lifestyle. If you have a daughter she will love how everything is "kawaii" in Japan.

Singapore is a big mall, super clean, efficient, and polite. Its like Asian Disney.
Teachermom

Post by Teachermom »

Thanks, JISAlum and hallier for your encouragement! No harm in sending out the applications, I guess, even if we aren't the most desirable couple for those top tier schools. I'm trying not to get my hopes too high.

Yes, Psyguy, we've visited Japan and loved it there --if we could make the finances work, we would totally take an offer there. I haven't been to Singapore yet, but we're not at all "mall" type people, so I'm not sure that it would be our type of lifestyle.

I don't really need a town that's super clean and organized, like Singapore or Tokyo, though. As long as it's not overly polluted, I don't mind cities with a lot of "character". I know you hated Cairo, Psyguy, but I lived there for 6 months and loved it. Would move there in a minute if it weren't for the pollution. Loved it when single, but won't put my kids' lungs through that.

A big priority for me is a well-run school with a mix of expat kids where our kids could get a great education.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Then stick to asian capital cities, and the big top tier schools. They are going to be the most diverse. The lower down the tiers you go the quickly the student body becomes composed of locals.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

I'm sick of PsyGuy pushing Singapore as "one big shopping mall." Yes, there are a lot of shopping malls, but if you make even the SMALLEST effort to explore the area, there is a LOT more out there.

I have a small child and I would take a job in Singapore in a heartbeat. If you want culture, there are museums and orchestras and a lot of concerts and theater events, both local and international. There are a lot of things on offer for children, including an amazing zoo, a night safari, and a bird sanctuary. Sentosa Island is a fun diversion, but if you want something more low key, there are a lot of smaller, practically deserted islands with beautiful beaches that you can take day trips to. There are parks. If you want something "grittier," there is Chinatown.

It's not "Asian Disney," Teachermom. If you went to visit and made even the slightest bit of effort to get out of the major shopping area (which, yes, is a big tourist attraction), then you'd find there's a lot more to do. In other words, don't necessarily rule Singapore out, especially if you have children.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Hi Teachermom,

I also worked for a second tier school in Taipei (for 9 years) and enjoyed the life for both myself and my family. The school itself was hard work, but worth it at the time.

I moved from there to Bangkok and loved everything about it - except the schooling for my oldest daughter - and would respond to any questions you have about that school at Grodly@hotmail.com.

I now live in Beijing an teach at a very good school that is great for my daughters, BUT, I don't love Beijing as a city.

I would say Bangkok is a great place to live, and if you find the right school, a place where I would even consider settling down. If you have questions, please feel free to e-mail.
hallier

Post by hallier »

It has a terrible reputation for pollution, but Guangzhou is worth considering.

Yes, it is polluted, but the levels are nowhere near as bad as Beijing.

The city is undergoing a lot of development that makes it far more expat friendly (walkways, upgrades to the metro, parks, new western style restaurants etc).

From late Feb through to early Nov, most days are blue sky days. Dec-Jan can be cold and yucky.

If you worked at the American School and had an elementary aged child, you could live on Ersha Island, where the school is located. It is basically one big park now. Kids are very happy there.

Again, Guangzhou is not Paris (!!!).

But I would not dismiss it straight off the bat. If you'd consider Cairo, with all that is going on there, then I'd add Guangzhou to your list.

An added benefit is that the Director is happy to hire teachers with kids, incl. single parents.

Oh ... and AISG meets all your other requirements. Good package and a great mix of students.