Job hunting advice requested by a NQT!

Noortje

Job hunting advice requested by a NQT!

Post by Noortje »

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to best land a job at preferably an international school as a newly qualified teacher after this summer (so August 2013). Which countries are for example most open to this? I registered for many job listing sites, but most employers seem to require 2 years of experience. Is this requirement set in stone, or should I apply anyway?

With regard to my qualifications at the start of the academic year 2013-2014:
- I will be a fully qualified English teacher upon completion of my Master's degree in Education in the Netherlands this summer.
- In addition to this degree, I will have obtained the 'Cambridge International Certificate in Teaching for Bilingual Education,' which includes Content and Language Intergrated Learning (CLIL).
- In terms of experience, I will have had a year-long internship at a Dutch bilingual school and a three week internship at Rome International School.
- Finally, I am not a native speaker of English, but are often mistaken for one by native speakers. I hold a Dutch passport.

So, do I stand a chance as a newbie, or not? What do you think? =)

Oh and finally, I was also wondering if anyone could tell me if the NET Scheme in Hong Kong is a good program or not since it fits my profile perfectly. I've done some reading about it online, but got mixed results... One website said that it's a competitive and a more 'highbrow' program, whereas another website stated that teachers were dissatisfied with the program and went home after a year. Does anyone have any experience with this?

thank you so much in advance for your time!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Noortje,

since you are not qualified yet, many schools will not even look at you. They want to KNOW the candidate they are hiring is certified (and many countries require this).

Also, by the time you have proof of this it can be too late to process all your paperwork to get you to the school in time.

That said,jobs do open up in the summer or at short notice in the new school year, so don't despair!
PsyGuy

Advice

Post by PsyGuy »

I have to disagree with shadowjack, at least technically.
Do you have your PGCE/PGDE already?

In ISs the PGCE is the teaching credential, so if you already have this your a qualified teacher.

Two years is the bar for a new IT (international teacher), its not set in stone though. There are schools that hire inexperienced and under experienced teachers. The problem is that your not likely to want to teach at those schools or in those regions. Most of them are in the middle east (ME) and africa, or they are bottom tier schools in asia. Your resume is academically heavy, and many recruiters would value practical experience above academic credentials.

Your cambridge certificate is an ELL certificate, its not worth anything at an IS.

Two options I see for you are:

1) Internship
A strong option for you would be to look into an internship program. Search has an internship coordinator, and at a number of good schools offer fully paid internships as a classroom teacher. These can come with full benefits or reduced benefits. They also are a way "in" too some of the top schools.

2) EU Schools
You have an EU passport and in the summer there will be job vacancies at schools in Spain, Switzerland, Italy, and Germany that require applicants to have an EU passport. These schools can get really desperate, and may take a chance on you, without any experience when your fully qualified and have your Masters.
danny514

Post by danny514 »

I was hired by an international school in China while only halfway through my Bachelor of Education degree - in other words, I had zero post-certification experience and was still several months from being qualified.

That said, the school that hired me is 3rd tier, though they pay just as much as many 1st tier schools and workload is much lighter.
sid

Post by sid »

You can also try getting hired on local status instead of recruited. It means you would be much cheaper to the school, and of course that you would have to be satisfied with much less than many colleagues are earning. Or if not earning per se, than with their benefits. No housing allowance, for example.
A couple years of that, and you'd be ready to strike out for new adventures as a fully qualified and experienced teacher eligible for recruited status.

Look for schools in less developed countries, and where money is tight. They'll be more willing to consider you as local.

Only do this if you are willing to accept it as a good deal. You get what you need, a job, a paycheck and experience. They get what they need, a bargain. If you will resent that your package is less than your colleagues', don't do it. You'll be miserable and it's just not worth it.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

I cant recommend accepting a position on a local package in your situation. The tier one and better schools dont need to hire a bargain, and having that kind of experience or IB experience would be the only thing that would make selling yourself cheap worth it. Youd be better off getting your QTS staying at home and building your resume and experience at home until you get a couple years experience, since a local package at a 2nd tier or worse IS isnt going to be any better (and likely worse) then in your home location.

Especially considering when summer comes around your going to be kicking yourself for taking a position at a tier 2 school with a local package, when some of the tier 1 EU schools are going to be begging for a teacher with your academic record and who has a EU passport.
Deckard

Post by Deckard »

[quote="danny514"]I was hired by an international school in China while only halfway through my Bachelor of Education degree - in other words, I had zero post-certification experience and was still several months from being qualified.

That said, the school that hired me is 3rd tier, though they pay just as much as many 1st tier schools and workload is much lighter.[/quote]

Danny514,
I'm starting a teacher certification program in February so it's interesting to hear you were able to find a teaching position while still working on your Education degree. I've received some good advice about Mexico being a place to look, but have not heard the same about China. Just wondering if you would be willing to share any advice on conducting a job search in China before one has a teaching cert (I have a Bachelor's Degree in English, a TEFL cert, and am looking to teach secondary English)? Did you apply directly to schools before you left your home country? Or did you go to China and visit schools in person?
aridion

Post by aridion »

Danny, I am very interested in the school you mention. I, however, will have my NQT year out of the way by the end of this year. Any hints as to the school?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@aridion

You dont need NQT for an international school. Your PGCE/PGDE is the working credential. You can apply and be hired without NQT.
Amybeth

working your NQT abroad

Post by Amybeth »

I to would like to gain my NQT year abroad (august 2013) However I am finding it really hard to find any International British schools that will consider my application. Anyone know of any good overseas British schools that are apart of the Dfe that may consider me?

Thanks

Amy
wntriscoming

Post by wntriscoming »

The Chinese government requires 2 years of experience for teachers in international schools. We have had amazing student teachers at our school that we'd love to offer a job to the following school year, but are unable to because of government regulations.

If a school in China is saying they will hire you without experience or certification, I would be very, very wary.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@wntriscoming

Thats not true at all. In China there are two types of "licenses" the first is a "Foreign Experts License", and for that you do indeed need 2 years of experience or an advance degree. This is typically needed for regulated professionals such as medicine, accounting, law, and usually for educators if they qualify. The second however is a "Foreigner Work Permit" and covers all kinds of "skilled labor". You dont need 2 years experience for this type of permit, and many teachers without it enter and work under a 'work permit".
This is how the VAST number of ELL teachers work in China, and without that option the ELL market would evaporate.
Even then most teachers get a Experts Licenses anyway, because the definition of experience is vague and pretty low. Even with those low standards verification of that experience is almost non-existent. if the school official says they have two years experience and its on a resume thats good enough for immigration.

@Amybeth

Your going to have a hard time finding British Dfe or OfQual schools that will take someone working on their NQT year. They are relatively few, and often have more experienced applicants to choose from.

Is your plan to return to the UK to teach? I ask because in the IS world NQT is nice but the working standard credential is your PGCE. You dont need NQT status to teach at a IS, and a majority of teachers at your typical IS dont have it (British schools have a larger proportion then your typical IS).
With your lack of experience you would be more successful and marketable with a IGCSE school that wasnt an OfQual member.
wntriscoming

Post by wntriscoming »

What I shared is true, researched, and backed up from personal experience. To teach in a true international school, the Chinese governments requires teachers to have 2 years of experience. You're not likely to be hired as reputable, accredited international schools are looking for qualified, certified, experienced teachers. If you'd like to disagree, it's no skin off my back, but I think it's misleading to let soon-to-be-credentialed teachers who have not completed degrees think that true international schools in China are going to hire them.

I feel like I have to stick in a modifier of "true" before "international school" because you can have a school named, "John's International School of Beijing" and that does not make it an international school.

If you're talking about being an ESL teacher, or working without teaching experience or a teaching degree, perhaps [url]www.eslcafe.com[/url] would be a website that could greatly benefit your search in an overseas job. That's a completely different type of teaching, though one that is valid and full of great experiences, too, especially for someone just starting out.
Amybeth

Post by Amybeth »

PsyGuy

Thankyou for your advice,

I probably will return to the UK to teach but I suppose it depends on how well I get on with teaching abroad. However I will have to complete my NQT year within 5 years to teach again in the UK:/

I have a degree in music&teaching and now completing my SCITT in primary teaching, I have also worked as a supply and TA for 2 years so I hope this will give me more of a chance of NQT employment abroad.

Do you know the names of the few schools that might be interested?
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="wntriscoming"]What I shared is true, researched, and backed up from personal experience. To teach in a true international school, the Chinese governments requires teachers to have 2 years of experience. You're not likely to be hired as reputable, accredited international schools are looking for qualified, certified, experienced teachers. If you'd like to disagree, it's no skin off my back, but I think it's misleading to let soon-to-be-credentialed teachers who have not completed degrees think that true international schools in China are going to hire them.

I feel like I have to stick in a modifier of "true" before "international school" because you can have a school named, "John's International School of Beijing" and that does not make it an international school.

If you're talking about being an ESL teacher, or working without teaching experience or a teaching degree, perhaps [url]www.eslcafe.com[/url] would be a website that could greatly benefit your search in an overseas job. That's a completely different type of teaching, though one that is valid and full of great experiences, too, especially for someone just starting out.[/quote]
---------------------------------------
That mostly jibes with what I recall from last year and trying to get a teacher a visa who didn't have two years post-BA teaching experience in Beijing. Teaching visas just moved from being under the jurisdiction on one agency to another (Foreign Expert to Labour, I think but I am fuzzy on the details). They are cracking down a bit.

That being said, after one (British school wouldn't/couldn't get it done, the same teacher was hired at a different British school around the corner as a teacher. So, never say never.