Talk up the Middle East!

sevarem

Talk up the Middle East!

Post by sevarem »

So... I know there are some very vocal posters on this forum who have nothing good to say about the Middle East, but I'm interested in those who have worked/are currently working there and have something positive to say. I know the drawbacks. I want to hear the positives.

I used to say I would never work in the ME, especially KSA, but the more I look at some of the schools/countries, the more intrigued I am. I'm not interested in schools that cater primarily to locals; I've heard too many horror stories from too many people, but I am interested in the American/IB schools out there. Kuwait still scares me and is off the list. Also, we have a young daughter, so that's a factor.

So people... good things about the ME? Specific country things that are cool? Stuff that you miss? Experiences that made it great. Talk about all things ME here.
Gipper

Post by Gipper »

Fascinating culture, Winter weather cannot be beat---dry and perfect temps. Great diving. Great springboard for European vacations.
justlooking

Post by justlooking »

Come to Dubai. It's in the Middle East but is hardly the Middle East. I work in an IB school with 80 different nationalities. Weather is great now and for the next few months, lots to do for kids, and the beaches are nice.
raphael

Post by raphael »

I'll gladly talk the ME up to you as there really is a lot to like about it.

- easy lifestyle
- def. fascinating culture
- amazing money!! it isn't so much the salary - which CAN be fabulous on its own - but the opportunities for tutoring at very high rates
- climate (except in extreme heat and sand storms)
- travel opportunities for long breaks (you can travel within the ME, or rather easily to Europe or Asia)
- good P.D. at the better schools
- the collegiality of people working in the ME can be really tight (I think it is the homemade booze, myself, or the fact that people do a lot more "at home" entertaining and socializing)

Kuwait has a couple of good schools: American International School of Kuwait and American School of Kuwait. Don't dismiss those but avoid all others.

I personally hated Kuwait because there real;y isn't much "to do" on the weekends except hang out in Starbucks or the mall. I am an adventurer and wanted more: I did everything there was to do in Kuwait on the weekends. By November of my first year there, I had exhausted the list. Then it was just a lot of shopping. I think the same can be said for other places in the ME: KSA, Dubai, Abu Dhabi.

Having said that, I know many "homebody" types that absolutely love the ME and have been there for years. Some of them have tutored, even a couple of hours extra a night, and now have amazing retirement funds. They are easy going types who like the $ and the easy lifestyle, travel on the long breaks, and are content living a low-key lifestyle. If that sounds like you, I say go for it.

The best bet about any school, but especially in the ME, is to talk to someone who is current at the school or has been at that school recently or knows someone reliable at that school. Don't rely on ISR reports that can be old or, as is plain to see, folks with an axe to grind. And definitely avoid the schools with large percentage of local kids.

Being easy going is most important in the ME. It is a little like the wild west, but if you have your wits about you and don't let the little things bug you, the big things won't bug you as much. If you are at a half decent school, you have won half (or more) of the battle.
PsychBean

kuwait

Post by PsychBean »

I am in Kuwait with a child in elementary school, I wouldn't recommend coming here. Dubai and Qatar I have visited not worked but have heard good stories. My girlfriend works in Abu Dhabi and the kids are more inclusive especially since there are so many expats there. I am hoping to go over to that side providing I find a job there. Best of luck to you!
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Oman is the best of all worlds for reasons cited above--easy lifestyle, nice climate, great beaches and diving, very friendly and welcoming people, making decent money and saving quite a bit without trying too hard, easy springboard for travel to Asia and Africa. Women have full rights. And, without a doubt, lots to do besides shopping and drinking coffee; if you enjoy outdoor activities you have many choices. Not only all that, you can obtain a license to buy alcohol.
cricket

Post by cricket »

I second the last reply about Oman. I never thought I would end up in the Middle East but Oman is wonderful. You can camp on beautiful beaches and hike in the mountains and wadis. I live walking distance to the beach. It's an easy and relaxed lifestyle and as heyteach said, we can buy liquor! Also, there are some great schools - my school is very International and a great professional community with tons of PD opportunities.
inman

Post by inman »

Dubai and Abu Dhabi are both great, and Doha is also a good choice. OK, you can't walk around the streets with a beer in your hand, but that's not exactly something I miss about "home" anyway. With the UAE, it can get boring after a couple of years, but the money is good, the location is great if you enjoy traveling in holidays, almost all international schools will have about 85% expat children from a very wide variety of nationalities (My old school in Abu Dhabi had 65 nationalities and about 16 nationalities per class out of 25 students), and there is a crazy amount of choice of international foods. Alcohol is easily available if you want it (It's not Saudi) and it's not crazy expensive. Dubai has more expensive bars than other places, but that's Dubai.

English is very good throughout these places and supermarkets are full of products from western countries. There are always 1 or 2 things that you miss that you just can't find, but that's a rarity. Pork was much easier to get in the UAE than other places I've been to, but basically, anyone that's adapted to the immense differences in life and cultures of East Asia will find the UAE or Qatar incredibly easy. The lack of reliability of local services (furniture delivery, bill payments etc...) is still a bit of hard work for those who are overseas for the first time, but it's not in your face or anything.

As I have said in previous posts on this site, only people who have never been to the middle east talk about all the middle east countries as though they are all the same. They are not. I too had many misconceptions about the middle east before moving here. It's far, far from the hardship postings of 20 years ago and before. Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha and Muscat are all nice, friendly, cosmopolitan places. I won't talk about others because I haven't been there or had experiences, but from where I have had experiences, I would recommend them to anyone, at least for a couple of years. The UAE was particularly easy. I only left because I got lucky with a job paying loads of money in Doha.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

Oman and UAE sound especially great. Thank you for all of the "talking up." It makes me want to jump on a flight and head to Oman right this minute.

I do have a weird question though. The more I read about the visa processes for the various countries in the ME, the more crazy it's beginning to sound. I'm reading that not only to they test for HIV/AIDS (which is to be expected), but they're also screening for Hepatitis (A,B, and C) AND tuberculosis AND syphilis AND a whole battery of STDs AND diabetes AND high blood pressure.

And that if any of these things are found, even if, for example, you had TB years ago, but were cured, or were treated for Hep C and were cured, you're instantly deported anyway? Even if you were cured? Even for high blood pressure? Is this true? How would anyone possibly get a visa this way? I've also read that the medical tests are different for South Asians than they are for Canadians and Americans? It's difficult to parse what's really true from what's simply fear mongering malarkey.

How many tests do they really run? What are they REALLY looking for? I have images of them taking pints and pints of blood now, screening for everything, including your cholesterol levels.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Where on earth did you read that??

We had free, complete physicals after arrival--and after getting our visas. I have some chronic things going on but no one said a word about it. Otherwise, there was no pre-screening before I left the U.S.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

I'm no advocate of the ME, but that's almost bordering on horror fiction. They do a blood test for HIV and HEP, and an X-ray for TB. They are looking for active infection. For me, It was a single vial of blood, or 10 ml, which is a third of an ounce, and less then a tablespoon.
inman

Post by inman »

I've only had relatively short medical tests in the Middle East. In every country I've worked in there has always been something that they ask for that makes me raise an eyebrow, but I haven't experienced anything intense in the Middle East. Get the list of what they want, go to your hospital and get the tests done. I spent about 30 minutes in the actual hospital and got the results the next day. They'll take 1 small blood sample from which all the blood tests can be done, a chest x-ray, and a few other things. Honestly, it's not that bad at all, and every country wants something.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@inman

No, thats not true, not EVERY country. There are even countries (in WE) that will even let you in with HIV.
vitaminz

Post by vitaminz »

[quote="justlooking"]Come to Dubai. It's in the Middle East but is hardly the Middle East. I work in an IB school with 80 different nationalities. Weather is great now and for the next few months, lots to do for kids, and the beaches are nice.[/quote]

Dubai and Abu Dhabi are great. Dubai doesn't feel like the Middle East at all (other than the heat).

1. Dubai
2. Abu Dhabi
3. Muscat, Oman
4. Jordan
5. Lebannon (right now but if when it is peaceful it might be at the top)
6. Bahrain
7. Qatar
8. Kuwait
9. Egypt
10.Saudi Arabia

Of course it depends on what you are looking for. If you want to make money then you have to look at the cost of living versus what your salary will be. Qatar, Kuwait, and Saudi all pay well and offer little to no night life so you will probably hold on to more of your money than if you were in Dubai or Abu Dhabi. If you want outdoors then go to Oman or Jordan.
Teachermom

Post by Teachermom »

I lived in Jordan and loved it there. Lots to do if you're interested in history: Crusader castles, Roman ruins, and of course Petra, where Indiana Jones was filmed.

If you're an outdoors person, there's Wadi Rum for hiking and the Red Sea for diving.

I second the "great winter weather", and the summers aren't as hot as the gulf.

When I lived there more than a decade ago, Western women/girls had to deal with street harassment in Amman. Not as bad as Cairo, but still annoying. Anyone with more recent experience in the Mid East, could you chime in on whether that's still a frustration?

Also, what are the best schools in Oman? Any schools to stay away from there?