Seeking advice for my unconventional beginning!

Cwikstarr

Seeking advice for my unconventional beginning!

Post by Cwikstarr »

Hello all.

I'll do my best to make this short and sweet. I happened upon this site during a night of Google soul searching many months ago. I've been quite the lurker ever since.

Here's my story. I'm currently enlisted in the military in the United States Coast Guard. I have 3.5 years left on my contract. I've started volunteering in the community, and will be headed to the classrooms to assist the teachers in a few days. I've always loved being in the classroom and can't wait to start teaching when my military stint is complete.

The unfortunate matter in this is that I'm quite busy and often on duty for long periods of time. This schedule does not allow me to take college classes in a conventional setting. I'm restricted to online only which is absolutely not a problem at my unit.

I don't want to waste all this time by not working towards my bachelors and future certification when I can get it free with tuition assistance now. (This also allows me to save my GI Bill for when I'm out of the military.)

I'm about three classes away from my associates degree now. I love history and social sciences but understand math and science is where the demand is. I can see myself teaching both. Does anyone have any opinions on the quickest path to becoming an employable entry level international teacher in my situation? Anything I can work on while I'm still serving in the military that will cut down on the schooling/time I'll need at a proper 4-year university?

I suppose right now I'm just feeling as if any online classes or degree I earn might not cut it when it comes to applying for a university and I'll have to end up waiting all these years just to start my teaching education.

This turned out to be longer than I originally anticipated. If anyone reads through it all and has any advice, I will be grateful. Thank you in advance!
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

You dont really have many options.

If possible I would try to sign up for evening college classes if possible.

If that is not possible, then you will just have to do online classes until you conclude your military service.

Then after finishing your military service enroll straight into college/university and also take a full load each summer session. Should be done in about 2 years depending on how much classes and credit you have obtained while in the military.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

You have several options. It sounds like you want to teach secondary, and the key to that is going to be getting a degree that gives you a strong background. Certification and teaching methodology and pedagogy are important, but the best teachers are masters of their content, it lets them focus on the teaching components and not spending their time on content mastery.

You would be a more competitive candidate early in your IT career if your teaching field and degree were in math, then science, but unlike the USA their are plenty of positions each year in social studies (and history). Do what you love and youll be good at it, and thats what recruiters look for.

Since you can do a degree in your teaching subject largely online, for the teaching/certification portion, i see too approaches that would address your requirements:

Alternative Certification Program (ACP):

ACP programs are acelerated teacher certification programs for those who already have a Bachelors degree.. This is the "American" teaching route. These programs can be anywhere from 5 months or so to a year. Many programs offer the option of the training/seminar/coursework portion online as well, so that when your done all you have to do is either a 1 year internship or a 4 month student/clinical teaching field experience. The programs cost between $3K-$6K.

Post Graduate Certification in Education:

A PGCE is the UK (and Australian) certificate for teacher education. technically, its the coursework and study portion, after which UK trained teachers then receive their field experience portion over 1-2 years in the classroom and eventually get QTS (Qualified Teacher Status). In ISs schools require only the PGCE. A number of universities offer the program online/distance education, with only a few observations required, which you could complete during non deployment periods. This would allow you to actually be certified without having to do a field experience. The programs are expensive though you would easily spend $10K and closer to $20K for such a program. Like ACP programs these are also post bachelors programs.
Cwikstarr

Post by Cwikstarr »

Thank you both for your helpful comments.

I'm going to continue plugging away at my college courses then. I suppose once I hit the international teacher market my 20s will have just vanished into the past. At the very least, I'm truly thankful that my classes are paid for and that I'll have zero debt coming out of school.

I'm actually not quite sure what I want to teach, primary or secondary. I think that I would enjoy both. I won't ask about the whole male teaching primary level again as I believe that's been debated on this forum before. From my research, it appears that there are plenty of primary positions out there unlike the States.

I just hope I'll be able to find a job fresh international job out of school instead of trudging through the USA's horrible teacher market for those two years of experience. My heart is definitely teaching abroad! :)

Anyway, I suppose I'm rambling. Thank you all again for the advice!
hallier

Post by hallier »

Good luck to you.

Can i assume you've checked out the American Public/Military University?

I did some online courses in education with them that were cheap and convenient.

www.apus.edu (i think)
Open Communication

Post by Open Communication »

edited.
Last edited by Open Communication on Thu May 30, 2013 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
pinkstar

Re: Reply

Post by pinkstar »

[quote="PsyGuy"]

Post Graduate Certification in Education:

A PGCE is the UK (and Australian) certificate for teacher education. technically, its the coursework and study portion, after which UK trained teachers then receive their field experience portion over 1-2 years in the classroom and eventually get QTS (Qualified Teacher Status). In ISs schools require only the PGCE. A number of universities offer the program online/distance education, with only a few observations required, which you could complete during non deployment periods. This would allow you to actually be certified without having to do a field experience. The programs are expensive though you would easily spend $10K and closer to $20K for such a program. Like ACP programs these are also post bachelors programs.[/quote]

You are not quite right about the PGCE. Yes, you do your Bachelors degree first and then you do your PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate in Education). You can can do a PGCE for Early Years, Primary or Secondary. But it is not simply the coursework and study option. It is both that and teaching.

You take several teaching placements over the course of the PGCE year and attend university and submit assignments in between. There is a minimum amount of weeks that you must be in charge of a class. In your final placement you should be teaching and planning every class (which, if you are Primary school/Early Years, is all day every day!). You have to plan and mark everything for that class for the time you are placed at the school.

If you pass the PGCE (the teaching placements and assignments) then you are a qualified teacher. However, you are called a Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT) until you complete your first year of teaching. You have the same responsibilities as any regular teacher except you are allowed a 10% reduction in timetable for professional development, courses, meeting your school metor etc. You have full QTS after the first year of teaching.

The PGCE is a good option if you do a degree first. You would have to move to the UK though. You cannot do a proper PGCE which ends with qualified teacher status online. If you want to actually have the QTS bit then you have to do it in person. You do not only have a few observations. You have to teach for at least 18 weeks during the PGCE and be observed numerous times. I do actually know someone who completed some kind of online PGCE . When he returned to the UK he found he was not really a qualified teacher. He did manage to get a job but he is paid as an unqualified teacher and has to undergo a lot more training until he can gain QTS.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

No, there are some observation periods, but those can be done anywhere, and are really pretty minor (it does depend on the school). Many F2F programs have more field work, but these are online program. I would agree with you more if the goal was QTS, but in ISs QTS isnt necessary, especially if you dont plan on teaching in the UK. The PGCE is the required credential. You do not need to move to the UK to do a PGCE, there are a number of universities that offer a full PGCE online.
pinkstar

Post by pinkstar »

Have you actually done a PGCE then Psyguy? Because I have and you are incorrect. The observations are not minor or depending on the school. They are full on, teaching every lesson of the day and doing all the planning and marking. It is a minimum of 18 weeks teaching as well as the assignments and lectures for the proper PGCE.

The PGCE is the university qualification. The QTS part is the teaching qualification. You are not a qualified teacher in the UK without QTS. I doubt most tier one schools (as you like to talk about) would want to hire someone who was not actually a qualified teacher.
I don't like to argue but, in this instance, you are wrong.
The open university does offer an online PGCE. The university part is online but you still have to take the same total weeks of teaching placement, in the UK, during school term time as everybody else.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes actually I have. Yes the PGCE is the university (academic) portion of the qualification, and NQT is the fieldwork experience leading to QTS, thank you for agreeing with me. Yes you are not a qualified teacher in the UK without QTS, the issue isnt about teaching in the UK at a municipal school, but whats the accepted qualification at international schools, and in this case thats the PGCE not QTS, and this includes tier 1 schools. You are comparing a F2F PGCE to an online PGCE, the two experiences and formats are different. You are also ignoring the large number of PGCE programs outside the UK including Hong Kong, Sinagpore, and Thailand to name a few.
Cwikstarr

Post by Cwikstarr »

[quote="hallier"]Good luck to you.

Can i assume you've checked out the American Public/Military University?

I did some online courses in education with them that were cheap and convenient.

www.apus.edu (i think)[/quote]

Yes, I've looked into AMU. I was a little worried that some graduate schools might look unfavorably upon a transcript from AMU, though they *are* nationally and regionally accredited, and very convenient for a military member.

I still have some time to decide what school I'd like to attend to finish my bachelors before my enlistment expires in the Coast Guard.

I appreciate the advice I'm getting from everyone here. I'm looking forward to being in your positions one day!

Here's another question that someone might be willing to answer honestly. When I finish my certification and masters, I'll have no experience beyond what I had in school and I dream of going straight overseas...

I'd LOVE to work in E.Asia. Would I have a shot at a school without experience? I don't mind starting in less desirable school/location.
amyviola

Post by amyviola »

Interesting thread, guys :)

I'm in Australia completing my equivalent (Graduate Diploma in Teaching/learning), and it's good to know the value of this piece of paper in the International Schools marketplace.