Ontario, Canda - Online Alt. Certification?

CaliPro

Ontario, Canda - Online Alt. Certification?

Post by CaliPro »

Got a co worker looking to get certified online while abroad. Anyone can recommend an ACP for Ontario / Provence?

Or Quebec would do as well.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

In my experience you won't get online certification in Canada. Fastest I have seen is a 1 year program from Lakehead University in Thunder Bay.

Also be aware that Ontario requirements are very similar to the US in recertification, etc...very regimented...unlike western Canada.

However, you can look at The College of New Jersey global education programs - particularly Mallorca. two summers and one year (provided you have a school to do a practicum/internship at) means that you get certified through New Jersey on a 5 year basis.

Link to this summer's offerings (2013)

http://offsitegrad.pages.tcnj.edu/progr ... rca-spain/

You can go through the Teacher's Institute in Miami and London

http://www.theptc.org/teachers-training-center/

or the 1 year Lakehead program

http://www.mylakehead.ca/education-cons ... r-program/

Canada does not recognize online teaching certificates and would not likely transfer one over without significant coursework taken at a Canadian university prior to issuing one.

Hope this helps!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Non of my Canadian friends could identify an online certification program in Ontario, there are reportedly a few in BC, if thats an option for you?
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

Name one online certification program in BC.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I cant, as I wrote I relied on my network of Canadian teachers for the basis of my reply. One mentioned UBC had a teacher certification program in English Language Teaching that was all online, but it appears the diploma/certification program only would upgrade an existing teachers credential and not grant an initial credential. No one else mentioned any specific programs, only that they had heard/recalled that it was possible. None of them had completed an online certification program in BC, (two had transfered credits earned online).
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

Correct, there aren't any.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence...
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

No, but living in the province, knowing all the certification opportunities in it, being certified by the province and having got my certification at one of those institutions, also working at an overseas school accredited by the province, that only employs teachers certified in that province........is good enough for me.

And it sure beats the hell our of your 'reportedly'.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

UVIC here IAMBORG, where about for you?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I meant IAMBOG - been watching too much Star Trek!
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

UBC, but most of my colleagues are VIU. Mostly island people.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@IAMBOG

Well its not good enough for me. Even if you are corect (and you may very well be), this post and response are going to survive outside the frame of the discussion, and you dont know if and when such an online program is either currently being developed, or may be developed in the future. Unless your claiming to have access to all the institutional and program development that may be happening at all program institutions, or a law maker who can say with 100% certainty that an online certification program will NEVER exist?
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

Know when to stop.
PsyGuy

I do

Post by PsyGuy »

If I didn't believe it worthy of responding, I wouldn't have. Living there, being an alum, and being credentialed in the province, as well as being a teacher a a school that only employes teachers in the province while together may sound authoritative, individually none of those things qualify you or anyone as an expert. I'm certified, lived in and have my UG degree from CA. But it doesn't mean I know what's going on at the BOE or what of the many schools and programs in the state there are working on as far as certification programs.

You may very well be correct, I don't have any information to prove you wrong, that doesn't mean your right.
Last edited by PsyGuy on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Actually, BC institutions are reducing the number of education seats. When they are graduating almost 2000 more teachers than are required I can't imagine them taking on more.