Best way to send your CV?

flyingrob31

Best way to send your CV?

Post by flyingrob31 »

If you are using a company such as Search Associates, is it best to email the school through the Search Website or email it externally? My concern is that if I do it through the Search Website, I am not really sure where it is going besides "to the school". Basically, I want to avoid my email ending up somewhere that it does not get read by the right person and thus overlooked. Does anyone have any advice on this?
seinfeld

Post by seinfeld »

I've never sent through Search, always to school email.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I usually send an expression of interest through Search followed by an email from my jobsearch account directly to the school with all my documents and cover letter.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Whether you send an email through Search or copy and paste it into a separate email, they all go to the same email address. I usually start off with the Search email system and my cover letter highlighting my qualifications and suitability for the position. If the school seems interested I then follow up separately with an email containing my application package and attachments.

Some things to consider:

1) Many of the email addresses for applicants arent really monitored, and are typically seen by HR or another support staff member.

2) Many schools dont accept, filter or dont open attachments for computer/ network security issues.

3) Depending on the school they can gets 10s to 1000s of applications. Its far too much work and gets exhausting to examine each one.

4) Many inboxes quickly fill up, and many of them have a limit to how big of an email they will accept.
flyingrob31

Post by flyingrob31 »

at Psyguy

If there are 10's or 100's of applicants for any one position, how do people ever get hired? It seems that one's chances of getting hired at any one place would be 10% or less. Yet, it seems as though teachers move around a lot.... With the above numbers, one would think that people would hold onto their jobs...

Also, do schools ever initiate contact with candidates through the Search Database or is it pretty much entirely on the candidate to initiate contact?
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

Some schools will proactively find your information on the Search database and email or call you about setting up an interview. Some will respond to your inquiry and interview you. Some will respond to your inquiry with a standard letter or a come talk to us at the fair. Some don't respond at all until the fair. Some aren't interested in talking to you because you don't meet their particular set of qualifications and each time slot is precious.

It's hard to know what it all means and to gauge the level of interest until the fair.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@flyingrob31

Yes, schools will initiate contact through your search profile. They have a email option just like teachers do. On your Search profile there are 4 work preferences you select. When schools Search for teachers they are using these preferences to identify you.

Your assumption is that all applicants are created equal and that the selection process is random. The reality is that a lot of teachers are unsuccessful though. They simply are unable to get offers that meet their expectations. Typically for 2 reasons: 1) Financial/Savings limitations. 2) Regional Desirability. They want to go to WE and dont get an offer, or they want to go to one of the top tier schools, and you dont walk into those schools typically for a ITs first posting. Second is money, no matter what the cost of living is many just have financial obligations, and why leave a $50K teaching position with a mortgage, car loans, student loans etc, for a teaching position that pays $25K-$30K.

Many teachers do move around, everyone has a "retirement" vision of where they want to be. They typically start out at a 2nd tier school, in a less then prime region. After a two 2 year contract they then move to a tier 1 school in the same region or move to a tier 2 school in a better region. So on and so on until they get an offer for where they want to be.