what does it mean??

micki0624

what does it mean??

Post by micki0624 »

I may be reading too much into this as I am an IS newbie, but what does it mean when the head of school personally emails you about a position available in January?

Also, what are any drawbacks to signing for a January position vs. an August position?
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Well, it means the head of school liked your credentials and wants to hire you. The fact that the position starts in January can mean that someone's leaving for any number of possible reasons (health, maternity leave, sick parent, spouse has been transferred, don't like the school--although it can't be so bad they didn't just take a runner; a new position has been created; they couldn't find the right person until you came along.

You should ask the head directly why they are hiring for January, and about the possibility of being hired for the following school year.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

They have a last minute position because of medical, maternity, family leave, or some pulled a runner. Enrollment could be going up. Usually when the school once to bypass the standard hiring procedure they email/contact you directly. Mid year is a hard time for a school to hire, I would be sure to ask "why" the mid year hire and the length of contract, in addition to the other standard negotiations.
micki0624

Post by micki0624 »

What other standard contract negotiations should I ask at this point? I know I can look it up, but re listing it or the link would be helpful.

Thanks
seinfeld

Post by seinfeld »

They may only contract you until end of this school year...
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Contract wise you want to discuss the following:

1) Salary: How much, and how is it broken done? If the school includes an optional gratuity is the salary based on the maximum amount. Is salary annualized or just over the contract periods? What are the taxes and deductions? Whens your first pay day, and are advances available?

2) Contact hours: Often overlooked, but how many teaching hours and how many contact hours are required? Whats the daily schedule, and can you leave after your finished? Whats your extra curricular load, and weekend/holiday requirements? When is your first day of reporting (many teachers start well before the first day of school).

3) Insurance: What kind of insurance is there (National or Private)? what do they cover and how much? Where can you (have to) get treatment? Do you or your family have serious pre-existing conditions? Whats the for family, etc?

4) Housing: Do they provide housing or a housing allowance? If an allowance, when is it available? Does the school "Guarantee" for the teacher (this means you wont have to pay deposits and other fees). If an allowance is there temporary housing (a hotel, etc) when you arrive, and for how long? Are utilities included? Does the school provide a leasing agent or service to the teacher?
If its provided housing HOW is it furnished (furnished meaning different things in different regions). If you have a large family is housing available, and how common/expensive is it? How far is the housing from school? Can you keep a pet in provided housing?

5) Airfare: Does the school pay for just employees or dependents as well. Do they provide tickets directly, or are you reimbursed? If reimbursed, how long does it take, and whats the limit?

6) Visa and Documentation: Does the school pay for visas, documents and medical exams?

7) PD: What Professional Development allowances and training does/will the school provide?

8) Allowances: Whether called shipping, moving, relocation or settling in allowances these are basically a pool of money for when you first arrive. Which ones does the school provide, and how much? Do you need to provide receipts and when are you reimbursed?

9) Tuition: You want a tuition waiver for each child attending. Some schools do that some have limits, traditionally its a 1:1 ratio of employees to tuition waivers. Schools can and do bend on this, but anything more then a 1:2 ratio and your going to be frustrated.

10) Spouses: If your bringing a trailing spouse what "opportunities" are available that the school can provide?

11) Clauses: What are the exit clauses, or more commonly referred to as probationary period? How can the school get out of the contract, and how can you get out of it? Whats the contract length (most are 2 years, some are 1 year, and admin positions are commonly 3 years). Whats the dress code? Is the school faith based, and if so whats the "code of conduct"?

Try to get as much as you can indirectly, if you ask each of the above a recruiter is likely to think your high maintenance, and grow frustrated. At the very least they may suggest you can discuss that with HR at a later point.
micki0624

Post by micki0624 »

So the update is that after pretty much implying they were going to bring my husband and I on, the emails stopped. There was around 4 communications in one evening and then nothing for 2 days. It was really very bizzare at how abrubtly everthing stopped.
Lagringa

Post by Lagringa »

I would guess that they were emailing several other people with offers at the same time and someone else took the job, meaning you are not useful to them anymore. Frustrating isn't it? You would think they could be decent enough to at least let you know. These things really are just about getting the exact right timing sometimes. Other things can always pop up, though - stay alert and good luck!
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

I cannot count how many times this has happened to me. The school interviews me a few times, everything sounds promising, and then the emails abruptly stop. If they hired someone else, the least they could do is respond and say so.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Thats how schools are when they want you, you get a lot of attention and things move fast. Most likely they found someone else who was a better fit (cheaper, more qualified, etc). They were likely talking to other candidates and one of them took the position. When a school loses interest they just act as if you dont exist anymore.
micki0624

Post by micki0624 »

It is frustrating! My husband wants to email again and I told him to stop beating a dead horse. I just hope they contact us w/ positions for August as we are more qualified for those!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Let him email them again, he needs to get it out of his system. Just keep it professional. The reason is, this is going to happen again, and keeping it bottled up is what causes people to explode.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Better to send an email thanking them for the opportunity to explore positions at XXX school and stating that you are looking forward to discussing possible positions for next August.
seinfeld

Post by seinfeld »

I recently had a couple of eager Skypes with a school and now..nothing. I know they are interviewing other peeps but a little update would be nice so I can get it out of my poor brain..
micki0624

Post by micki0624 »

Seinfield, unfortunately it's like that with each job I apply for, not just and IS position. It is difficult to get an interview out of your thoughts.

My husband just got an email this morning requesting a Skype interview for tonight about this position.

Sooo confusing, not a word and then this! Oh my!