Getting certified while living abroad

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@buffalofan

I cant see why CA wouldnt, my two years + experience when I applied for my clear credential were all overseas/international experience, and I know plenty other who have done the same. I also know teachers who had preliminary credentials who taught over seas and got clear credentials. I also know teachers who transfered their preliminary to another state, and then transfered back to CA and got clear credentials.

What i dont know is anyone who transfered a preliminary out of state, taught over seas, and then used that to transfer back to CA and get a clear credential???

I dont think Ive ever heard of such a scenario because its technically possible but unrealistic. The entry point into ISs is 2 years post certification, K-12 teaching experience. The vast majority of teachers get that at home, so by the time there ready to enter as ITs they either have, or are eligible for a clear credential.

@BookshelfAmy

Actually its not hard to get your experience approved at all. While the law sounds "imposing" the EPP (Educator Preparation Program), does all the work, and the form is a template they use. Basically, if the EPP is willing to do it, TEA plays along. Its really what ever the EPP says, they are the ones that click the button to recommend you, everything else is back office work by the EPP.

The mentor and supervisor standards are extremely low. The EPP can qualify just about anyone who is a certified teacher as a mentor, and anyone with a leadership/admin/principal credential as a field supervisor.

You can do the clinical internship just as easily at an overseas location. Its really one of the fastest routes in the country. The only real pain is having to come back to the states (Texas) to do your certification exams.
Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga »

Psyguy, when I looked into all of this very recently, I was told in no uncertain terms that my application for a clear credential would not be accepted if I was not teaching in a CA school. The link you posted was only for people prepared out-of-state. For people prepared in-state, that is the requirement. The residency requirement is not explicitly listed anywhere, but when I tried to apply to a teacher induction program (one of the requirements) from overseas, this is what I was told and what was confirmed by the CTC. One could, however, get the preliminary application and just move to another state, but then, why bother with CA in the first place. CA has strange rules and the CTC is not very helpful, so I recommend avoiding them. You may have seen it work in the past, but they have changed a lot of their rules.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

There is no rule requiring resident teaching in California schools. I can understand your tripidation really until you actually make an application, and are denied, its just someone's opinion. Many times I've talked with people in service centers and told when thing, then another thing only to find that people either have an agenda, or they don't really know. If you were denied, then you would need to be given cause of the deficiency and if the cause was no teaching or certification record in California, I'd appeal that as being unsubstantiated by rule or law.
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

Fair enough. I guess it really depends on the EPP. Mine required you to be working within 70 miles, but it was a university-based PB program. I think the Alternative programs tend to be faster and more flexible.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

The ACP programs are much more flexible then the PB programs. The PB programs always seem to try to up sell their Masters programs as well. For some of them its worth it, some of the PB programs are around 30 hours, and their Masters is 36...
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

[quote="spruxy"]I've also heard that in order to get a teacher certification from Teacher Ready in Florida you must secure a job within the State of Florida, does anyone know if this is accurate?
So far it seems like Texas is the only option?[/quote]

Pretty positive that is not the case.

I think you are confusing it with TexasTeachers
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Both Teach Ready in FL and Texas Teachers in TX support overseas teaching candidates.