Thinking about breaking contract...

mstaller

Thinking about breaking contract...

Post by mstaller »

I wanted to ask some senior international teachers about an issue that I am struggling with.

I am currently at a school (my first year) that is good, some might say very good, but I am not sure if I want to stay here for a full two years.

My main complaints are that I 1) can't afford it (debts in the U.S., low pay, no money for professional development, etc.) and 2) I have been encouraged to lower my academic standards although the school maintains that its #1 goal is to prepare its students for college to have rigorous academic standards.

If I apply for schools that are "Tier 1" schools for the upcoming school year, will I be doing myself a disservice by essentially telling them that I am a potential contract breaker? Right now, there are a few of my top choice "schools for the future" that have jobs available for my position. Should I apply and explain the reasons I want to leave, or should I suck it up and stay another year so that I do not appear in a negative light to these schools?

All thoughts and opinions welcome.

Thank you!
pikefish

Post by pikefish »

Your word is your word. You promised two years, so give them two years. Do your best work, even if your bosses are nightmares. As long as you are safe and being paid, be the bigger man/woman and finish your contract.
PsyGuy

Sorry

Post by PsyGuy »

If you break contract you can't tell anyone. To be successful at it in anyway you basically have to pretend that this year didn't happen. Even if your school releases you, when the head gets called for a reference there going to say you we're "released early" from your contract. If you were repped by an agency there is likely to be a penalty you will have to pay, and they aren't likely to allow you to rejoin. So the only way to do it and have it work is to pretend whatever school your at now, didnt happen, and you have to go outside the Search messaging/email service when looking for another job, so that when you break your contract you already will have a job and contract with another school, and who it's with wont leave a trail through Search.
Breaking contract is hardest amongst the top tier and elite schools, because they really are such a small group and they are connected through the recruiting agencies (for the record this is NOT, I repeat NOT a blacklist). What happens is Acme AS notifies Search/ISS that you broke contract, and that basically they want a credit towards the next candidate they recruit. This means that associate just lost about $2K on you, so they are going to of course update their client list, and their going to see who you've been message in, who's messaged you, and who's profiles the school has accessed. So if you go through the website your going to get found out what happens then depends on what happened, and how you handled it.
There are two possible outcome approaches:

1) "The right thing"; Search just wants to get paid, so you can square yourself with Search by paying the penalty fee, and explaining that it was just a hardship position, and that given your finances you just can't continue working at a loss. That's the best argument based on what you wrote, and keeping to the truth. If you go that route Search isn't likely to banish you. The problem though is that other recruiters are not as likely to be as forgiving or understanding, especially at top tier schools. You may be able to continue to apply as a Search candidate, but you can't keep it a secret and keeping it off your résumé becomes much harder.
The 1st tier and above schools are likely to ignore you, they have too many other candidates with better resumes, who are dependable. Recruiters and heads aren't really looking for great teachers, there are already lots of those, and just about everyone who gets through the front door is at least a good teacher. What schools really look for and want is great "employees". That's why we have fairs, schools can figure out easily who is a good teacher from your application, what they need to meet and talk to you for is to figure out if they like you and your going to NOT be a problem, or burden to them (or that your at least "worth" what ever amount of streets your going to cause. Recruiters are actually fine with varying degrees of "maintenance", what they want and have to figure out is how much maintenance your going to need), that's where being a good employee comes in. A teacher who breaks contract doesn't sit we'll wit a school. They spend a lot of money bringing you over, and the cost of disruption in replacing you, is a hard sell to a school. Why should they invest in you if you decide to leave again for whatever reason?

2) "The other then right thing"; option is much riskier though. Basically you pretend the current year didnt happen. You weren't doing anything, either you were back in school, sitting on a beach drinking rum&coke, or spending time with your family because you sister has cancer or something. Anything to explain away the gap in your résumé. Schools don't provide full list of all their hires to Search, only the ones they invoice for.
If you get hired, that new two year contract and however long your there, is going to be stressful, because your going to be waiting for the other show to fall, and you get found out. It doesn't happen often, but teachers who get found out have and do get fired, for previously breaking contract. It happens most often at top tier schools as well.
So assuming you don't get found out, after two years if you move on to another school and have your reference in hand, you can safely assume the broken contract is buried, of course you have to move on to another school, and you should. You don't want to be at a school 8 years and then fired for breaking a contract so many years ago. You'd have a bad reference and you can't really explain away an 8 year gap in your résumé.

Either way understand, that whichever route you choose you can only really break contract about once a career or about 10 years, and forget about doing it twice in a row, at that point just move back home or go into teaching ESOL. I know one teacher who broke contract at a 2nd tier school in Germany because she was single with a son, and after taxes, just couldn't afford to live there. She got another chance at a tier 1 school in Asia and broke contract again because of a really heavy workload, and her relationship with her son was "suffering". After that none of the big agencies would rep her, and without an agency you don't have access to vacancies when theyre available or fairs. She's in the ME right now getting by teaching ESL at a bilingual school.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

I think you need to look at the long term possibilities. You said there is some financial stress because you are not making enough money. The question I have is "can you afford not to work?" because you may not get another job right away.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

That your word is your word, is just fear manipulation. You get one turn at life, don't let some piece or paper keep you from being happy. So many schools sell their school before you sign, knowing that the fear of "never working again" means you will put up with just about anything. Recruiters know that just short of having them caught on tape in a lie or deception, means that you will have any real non compassionate recourse against a school. They know you can't really afford to stay and sue them if they break contract, and the agencies make their money of the schools, so their not going to cut of that revenue stream, unless it makes the whole agency or other schools look bad by association.
Don't fall and suffer on your sword, for something as cliche as your word or a contract, they would love you to think its more then paper, but its not. The paid side of this forum is full of example after example where this is true. It's business and in the case of your business it makes no sense to continue doing something at a loss. If the school was in the reverse situation, they would do the same thing, they wold just call it a "reduction in force" or "enrollment mandated employment separation" or some other technical business jargon term, it means exactly the same thing.
Take a lesson from the Chinese, as long as a deal, contract, agreement "works" everything's fine, as soon as it stops working or become unproductive, they either change or they just stop doing it. In their business model of ethics, it makes no sense to keep doing something that's against or contrary to a parties interests. You can't waive a contract or piece of paper in a Chinese executives face and say "but you agreed to do this" when doing it would cause them to suffer a loss. They would smile, and say "very sorry, but that can not be done".
pikefish

Post by pikefish »

We are very different people, Psyguy. In this day and age of easily accessed information, message boards, blogs, etc... one has very little excuse of not knowing what the school and country he/she is signing with entails.

No matter, my word does matter. Let's be realistic: IF ONE IS SAFE AND GETTING PAID AS PROMISED, it ain't a lifetime of misery...it's just a matter toughing it out a few months. It is not falling on a sword. That is dramatic even for you.

Again, if safe and paid, the rewards of completeing the contract will far outweigh cutting and running.
mstaller

Post by mstaller »

Thanks for the advice, every one.

To clarify, I would leave after one year (assuming that I was hired by one of my top schoools) so I would not be without work.

To further clarify, I did not get the job through Search, I got it at UNI. I don't know if that makes a difference - but I wouldn't be breaking contract in a position that Search helped me to get.

I am, usually, very very good at keeping my word. However, I have worked very hard preparing for this position (to the point that I have been criticized for making the class "too difficult". I would rather work at a school that pays me well for my hard work and encourages it. My quesiton is, will the Tier 1 schools (assuming I leave the one year of experience on my resume) hold it against me that I am breaking contract with another school (if I explain my reasons for doing so)?
PsyGuy

Short answer

Post by PsyGuy »

Short answer: Yes, in most cases a first tier school will hold breaking contract against you.
So much so that they are unlikely to be interested in you. Your reason "that they don't appreciate your hard work" sounds like an excuse and really a good excuse is still just an excuse, Sorry.
mstaller

Post by mstaller »

I'd like to hear from everybody who has thoughts/perspectives to share. Any experiences in this area would that you are willing to share would be very helpful.
inman

Post by inman »

Just going back to your original post, saying that you can't afford it doesn't really make so much sense as you knew the contract when you signed. If you didn't do the research regarding taxes etc properly then you look unprepared.

As for lowering your standard, well, I think when working in international school we always have to sacrifice something. Sometimes they meet the academic standard you like but treat staff with no respect, and sometimes it's the other way around. Sometimes you have to adapt to cultural expectations in your life outside school. There's always compromise.

Knowing the most basics of your situation that you have outlined, if I were you I would stick it for another year, try and make up the cash by doing extra tutoring (but don't go too public about it as a lot of schools don't like their teachers to do tutoring), get the reference and move on. There is usually more demand than supply for extra tutoring so it's a good way to make some extra cash. You might have to compromise some of your social life, but like I said, there are always compromises in international schools.
overseasvet2

Avoid a big mistake

Post by overseasvet2 »

Top schools will not interview you while you are still under contract with another school. I don't see it being any better even if you get the school to release you. Sorry, but the best schools would choose others before you no matter how you leave your present school or what excuse you give. It would just be too big of a risk. If you want to be in a top school, it's best to stick it out and then recruit with two years' experience and a history of contract completion. If you are completely miserable, move on but do not count on getting to a top school until you've been somewhere else for 2 + years.
shadowjack

Re: Breaking Contract Reference...

Post by shadowjack »

Don't do it. Honestly, the top schools look askance on anyone who leaves after only one year. Secondly. you will be relegating yourself to 3rd tier and 2nd tier schools and delaying your "plan" to get to a top tier school by 4 or 5 years.

Finally - if your school is bad for you financially, start tutoring students from other international schools in your spare time. Instead of working so hard on your material for your classroom that the students find to be a ton of work, put some work into making some money for you (but not to the detriment of your students).

One thing to be careful of at international schools are parents. If you are making it "hard" and students are suffering grade-wise (for example, let's say that you have 8 students who are getting mostly A's in their other classes but getting only B's in yours), the parents, admin and maybe even the board (it has happened) are looking at YOU - and that is the kiss of death.

So stay the course, start doing some tutoring on the side, and leave after 2 years with your great reference in hand for a higher tier school.
mstaller

Post by mstaller »

Thank you all - these are words of wisdom and great advice. Also some much needed encouragement...thank you!
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

Look, mstaller, not to be cruel, but which first tier school would possibly consider hiring someone who broke their FIRST international school contract, not because the school/country was unsafe, but just because said person didn't feel they were making enough money? Especially if you break contract at what is known as a GOOD school?

First tier schools are quite competitive. The schools have their pick of teachers. Why would they possibly hire someone who broke their very first contract over more reliable teachers with years of experience and good references? It's going to make you look very bad.

Honestly, if you want to make a go of international teaching, suck it up and stick it out. Or break your contract, go back home and hope to get a job there, do that for years, and then try again. But don't think you're going to break your first international school contract and then secure a first tier job somewhere else. Not going to happen.
mstaller

Post by mstaller »

Well, the reason I was asking was BECAUSE I DIDN'T KNOW THE ANSWER.

I was asking for replies from seasoned veterans who know the international circuit better than I do. You don't have to point out my ignorance in asking a question - that's what this forum is for, right?