Contract wording

Jim40

Contract wording

Post by Jim40 »

I know that teacher contracts for overseas schools should never be broken, and I do not plan on doing so. Yet, one clause of my teacher contract from my school in Thailand states that "the agreement can be terminated by the school or the teacher if either gives three months notice". Does that mean that if the teacher gives three months notice, that is perfectly legal and the contract is not broken? Does anyone have experience with how that clause should be interpreted?

Jim
Guest......

Contracts

Post by Guest...... »

Sorry to let you know, but contracts mean very little and there are many sleazy school heads and school boards who do not abide by the contract that you signed or for that matter employment law in their own contry.

Good schools and good directors are honest, do not mislead and want their teachers to be happy and feel secure in their position.

Why schools are able to get away with disreputable and unethical practices and still advertise on ECIS, TIEONLINE and recruit at fairs is a great injustice to teachers.
adminpaul

Overseas Contracts

Post by adminpaul »

One of the ISR staff members had a similar contract in the D.R. Congo at TASOK. He and his wife exercised the clause to terminate and the school then blackballed them at every agency they could. ISS supported the school's request. No questions asked! And the couple stayed until the end of the year and in addition the school hired replacements at the first ISS fair. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusion.
adelet

Contract 'rights'

Post by adelet »

At a propritary school in Asia, I know my first mistake; what rights if any if 'laid off' due to finiancial reasons? NO, it has not happened yet, but they are looking at ways to cut costs, including the higher paid, expereinced, teachers with higher degrees...

Does not provide one with the positive attitude needed in a classroom setting does it!

Thank you for any thoughts
ron

rights

Post by ron »

Foreign teachers in Thailand, and probably most schools in Asia, have no "rights". Your contract is worth only as much as the integrity of the school's owners or administrators. If you tried to sue for any reason, you would eventually lose, there is no doubt: it is too easy to buy a judge, and the laws are already in the favor of the employer.