DODEA Question

ringler24

Post by ringler24 »

Thanks WDD. Your feedback is as always appreciated. I'm very passionate about what I do and I'm really good at it too. I think teaching is a calling not just a paycheck. Yes, PsyGuy I know we've argued this before but I never went into teaching for the money and I don't desire a DODEA job just because of the amazing benefits it offers. I want to work with other people who truly love teaching kids and I'd like to do that overseas and DODEA is my best bet due to my large family situation. But if I'm going to be working with people with the same attitude as PsyGuy I'll stay stateside. : )
PsyGuy

FYI

Post by PsyGuy »

There are some teachers here that really care about the kids, but there really is a significant number of teachers that are just here for the job. We don't have any teachers here who are newbies.

What dude doesn't understand is that inexperience doesn't equal quality either, and Inexperience is the most common factor in an unsuccessful teacher.

In all honesty though, DODEA is probably a better option for you. Your family situation is never going to make you any ISs top or first choice, no matter how good you are or what you may bring. The schools that are desperate and would hire you, are to likely to be good experiences for you either. It's very likely to be a process full of frustrations and disappointments for you. DODEA really is like winning the lottery though, you could wait years, and there have been many waiting a decade and still haven't been hired. You really just need to get comfortable with where you are. You can't focus your life on the odd chance of getting lucky.
The only thing that's really going to change your marketability for next year is if your spouse gets certified and you can present yourselves as a teaching couple.
ringler24

Post by ringler24 »

Yep all this I know. I don't have any lofty or unrealistic expectations. Thankfully I believe I can just update my application year by year with not too much work. If it happens it happens...if not I'm fine with that too.
FromPhilly

gentler... kinder....

Post by FromPhilly »

[b]Your family situation is never going to make you any ISs top or first choice, no matter how good you are or what you may bring. The schools that are desperate and would hire you, are to likely to be good experiences for you either.[/b]

Wow, psyguy.

I can only say 'wow.'

Even if that were true - and I'm not saying that it is - there is a way to say things, especially when it's bad news, that gives the same information, but in a positive, or even neutral, way. Whatever the news is.

This is someone's career; someone's life, that you are talking about. Gently, gently, does the trick. You could have said the same thing (again, only if necessary) using a humanist tone and we would still understood your message.

FP

quote="PsyGuy"]There are some teachers here that really care about the kids, but there really is a significant number of teachers that are just here for the job. We don't have any teachers here who are newbies.

What dude doesn't understand is that inexperience doesn't equal quality either, and Inexperience is the most common factor in an unsuccessful teacher.

In all honesty though, DODEA is probably a better option for you. Your family situation is never going to make you any ISs top or first choice, no matter how good you are or what you may bring. The schools that are desperate and would hire you, are to likely to be good experiences for you either. It's very likely to be a process full of frustrations and disappointments for you. DODEA really is like winning the lottery though, you could wait years, and there have been many waiting a decade and still haven't been hired. You really just need to get comfortable with where you are. You can't focus your life on the odd chance of getting lucky.
The only thing that's really going to change your marketability for next year is if your spouse gets certified and you can present yourselves as a teaching couple.[/quote]
mcjahwl

DODEA ESL Qualification

Post by mcjahwl »

Can anyone shed some light on what the actual requirements are for DODEA ESL certification? My wife and I are in the system (I'm 7-12 English and Humanities, she's Speech Pathology), but I am looking at adding ESL to make myself more versatile for teaching abroad. I would hate to go through a program and then find out it doesn't count for DODEA. I can't find the requirements for teachers anywhere--any help would be appreciated.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Sure you need 24 hours in ESL, and you MUST have 6 hours in ESL teaching methods. If your state certified you only need half of the hours (12 hours).

"A major in ESL or a minimum of 24 SH in ESL is required. Course work should include such courses as applied linguistics, sociolinguistics, comparative cultures, language development, and social psychology of the bilingual child are required. A minimum of 6 SH in the theory and methodology of teaching English as a second language is required."
mcjahwl

DODEA ESL Qualification

Post by mcjahwl »

Great--Thanks! Do you happen to know if a state SLP certification would qualify one for the 12 hour requirement?
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Not for ELL, but it would qualify you for the reduction in applying for an SLP position.