ISS and Search Fairs

Nomadic Teacher

ISS and Search Fairs

Post by Nomadic Teacher »

Hi
I am part of an experienced IB/PYP teaching couple, and have chosen to leave next year.

I have signed up for both Search and ISS, however would you recommend we go to both fairs in Bangkok in January?

When will schools start to advertise vacancies?

Thanks,
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Schools have already started to post vacancies, but many of them are tentative, and little more then guesses. Basically they are building a current candidate pool.

Assuming you get invited to the Bangkok fair, and you can take the time off and are willing to spend the money there's no problem going to both fairs. You will see a lot of the same schools at the ISS fair (which is first) later at the Search fair, you will also find a smaller number of schools that will only attend one. A common concern is that recruiters like to see all the available talent over the fair event, so you will hear a lot of "were waiting" at the ISS fair. Honestly it's really only an issue if there is a specific school that your interested in and that's interested in you in advance as a reason to go to a particular fair if they are only attending one of the BKK recruitment fairs. Lastly, ISS charges $285 to attend all or one of their fairs (one fees pays for all fairs in a recruiting season, even if you only attend one of them). Search is a flat $75 per fair.
Nomadic Teacher

Post by Nomadic Teacher »

I already have invites for both fairs in January. I am in contact with several schools now, but nobody knows about vacancies yet.

When do you think they will start to know and actively work on recruitment for next year?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Schools are already posting vacancies (mostly tentative) for 2013. Most schools don't usually have a real idea until November wwhat vacancies they will have.