Spotty CV

FromPhilly

Spotty CV

Post by FromPhilly »

Greetings. I have 6 years experience in international and/or local schools overseas. M.Ed (US) and 3 certifications.

Experience in PYP, MYP, and 2 National Curricula (not being too specific). No dependents - son will be in university; not accompanying me; early 40s and single. I have strong references, particularly from last HoS and Primary Head, as well as strong parent references. I've taught in schools in Europe, the Gulf, SE Asia, Asia Pacific.

I have taught at 6 schools in 5 years. I'd like to find a school and settle down. Given that schools may think I'm not reliable, not committed, etc - I'm looking for advice or thoughts on how I can best prepare for my interviews when I attend the Bangkok Fair this season.

Thank you and wishing everyone a good start to the new school year (N hemi). I'm ready for holidays already :)

NB: Constructive criticism welcome.
indogal

Post by indogal »

6 schools in 5 years is a lot. Be ready for that to be the first question you are asked at every interview. ( I was at an IASIS school and I hated it. I left after 2 years. It was the first question every director asked me at my interview.)

I would prepare like crazy for an interview and then explain why you had to leave the other places , but why you are committed to staying with school X.

My guess is that you will not get an offer from a great school, but then perhaps that is where you have been in the past & that is why you keep leaving. Maybe you just need to learn to stick it out.

If you are offered jobs, do your research- decide where you can stay (based on the school and the lifestyle of the city/country) & then stay there. I would say minimum three years. After three years you can go back to a job fair an look at better schools. But I think may may need to do some time at a less desirable school to get to where you want to be.

But keep in mind, the grass isn't always greener. I'm at a highly sought after school and we're so overworked, my colleagues who are leaving can't wait to go to a school with less work, where they can actually enjoy life abroad.
inman

Post by inman »

I really have to agree with Indogal. You can easily justify leaving somewhere after just 1 year, but leaving 2 or 3 places after a year in each could easily be interpreted as someone who will never be happy anywhere. Target tier 3 and stick it out for as long as you can. Then move on to somewhere better afterwards. Alternatively, 1 route that might throw something better up is waiting until April or May when international newbie's are most likely to pull out, leaving schools desperate and you the saviour.

I'm also curious as to how long many think is too short time to stay in a school. I always feel like 4 years is a good stint, 3 years is OK (2 year contract + 1 year extra), and 2 years being viewed like "Well at least you saw out your contract". Anyone else have any thoughts on that?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I agree with a lot of indogal, it's going to be one of the first questions you get asked at any interview, and it's going to be a cause of concern for any school. I'm a jumper myself, and you just need to approach your response with confidence. Something like "the travel opportunities to teaching at an international school is a strong attraction to me, and you don't get to see as much of the world staying in the same place but now I'm looking for a school I can settle down in". Then you move on to your strengths, and value you can add to a school.

I think anything less then 2 and more then 4 and your going to get asked why you left. If you liked a school enough to stay with them an extra two years why are you leaving now or why we're you only there a year, are going to be common questions early in the interview. Everyone gets asked why their leaving or moving on really no matter how long they have been at a school. It's a throw away question. It has nothing to really do with the reason, but tests your ability to be diplomatic.
I'm not the best person to ask on how long really, I've never been at a school longer then 2 years.
FromPhilly

Post by FromPhilly »

Oh boy... Thank you all. Like Booker T Washington said "Cast down your buckets where you are..." meaning wherever I go, I need to relax. I will prepare like crazy.