AASSA Fair & ISS Atlanta Fair

PsychBean

AASSA Fair & ISS Atlanta Fair

Post by PsychBean »

Hello All,

I have seen these threads but they all seem to be a bit outdated. I am considering going to both of these in hopes of finding a job at one. Can anyone share if they have gone in the recent past (2011) and how it was. I have only seen years past but not last year. I understand these are intimate fairs and chances are good to get a "lower" paying job with schools in South & Central America with AASSA.

Can you share your experience or knowledge. Thank you.
adminpaul

AASSA Fair Infor

Post by adminpaul »

You'll find some information on last year's fair at our recruiting portal.

http://internationalschoolsreview.wordp ... ons/aassa/
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

I went in 2010. Did not get a job offer at this fair-not even a note in my box. At the Cambridge Search fair a month later I had at least 8 notes in my mailbox and accepted a position at a great school. Exact same qualifications.

There are plenty of schools at this fair that pay well over 20k and you'll know the salary ranges in advance. It's worth attending if you're there already if only for the networking. You may find something you'll like. I have had friends get positions at this fair and they made decent salaries. It all boils down to savings potential not the actual salary. I have found the South American schools to be the least flexible in terms of having children.

The fairs are very stressful events. They are emotionally and mentally draining. You are interviewing multiple times in a very short period of time. Just keep that in mind before you overextend yourself.
PsyGuy

Side note

Post by PsyGuy »

Just as a point of contention, I find European schools the least flexible when it comes to families.
FromPhilly

Re: Side note

Post by FromPhilly »

[[b]quote="PsyGuy"]Just as a point of contention, I find European schools the least flexible when it comes to families.[/quote][/b]

psyguy - we agree. I find the European schools the least flexible when it comes to... just about anything. Matter of supply (small) and demand (much). With that said, maybe I'm just old and bitter (smile) because I kick myself every day for not staying in Europe when I had the chance....
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

[quote="DCgirl"]I went in 2010. Did not get a job offer at this fair-not even a note in my box. At the Cambridge Search fair a month later I had at least 8 notes in my mailbox and accepted a position at a great school. Exact same qualifications.

There are plenty of schools at this fair that pay well over 20k and you'll know the salary ranges in advance. It's worth attending if you're there already if only for the networking. You may find something you'll like. I have had friends get positions at this fair and they made decent salaries. It all boils down to savings potential not the actual salary. I have found the South American schools to be the least flexible in terms of having children.

The fairs are very stressful events. They are emotionally and mentally draining. You are interviewing multiple times in a very short period of time. Just keep that in mind before you overextend yourself.[/quote]

Wow have you been on the international circuit for a while DC Girl?
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Well not everything, I find the health care system amazing, and efficient. It also avoided the dreaded "Pre-existing condition" trap that as you get older squeezes more and more. Though you do pay high taxes for those social programs.