Foreign Language Teachers out there?

FutureTeacher33

Post by FutureTeacher33 »

[quote="ringler24"]I think you need to figure out what you really hope to do. To be completely honest with you I think you're being overly ambitious. What you need to ask yourself is whether you want a career as an international teacher or to open an immersion school. For the most part I don't really think there are international immersion schools the way there are in the US. The language of instruction is English there and languages are taught as foreign languages. If your ultimate goal is to open an immersion school you need to refocus on US teaching both to build your experience and credibility as well as for the location of your school. You won't be ale to go and teach French abroad for a set number of years and then just move back to the States and open up an immersion school. In order to fulfill that dream you will need years of experience teaching in immersion programs. If that is truly what you want to do here is my suggestion (This is my exact background for your frame of reference):

Major in your target language (in your case French) as an undergrad. Go ahead and do the double major with English Lit if you want. Study abroad and do everything to master the French language. (This is good in the event that you change your mind or still want the option of international teaching)

After completing your BA do a Masters program in Dual Language/Bilingual Education as a preservice student (meaning you will do your student teaching whie completing the program). This will certify you to teach elementary Ed as well as dul language elementary and likely ESL on all grade levels. It takes about 18 months full time.

Work as a teacher in an immersion school for a good chunk of time.

Open your school.

In the event that you change your course at any point you could always apply to teach abroad through DODEA which is an amazing opportunity and one that I'm hoping for. You'll be qualified to teach French, ESL, and Elementary and if you got a position you would have a very stable financial situation for your family. They also don't care about how many dependents you have so that's a huge plus for me and for you as well.[/quote]

I really appreciate you taking time out of your day to answer my post with such detail. It is really nice of you.

I really do want to achieve this goal, so I really do thank you. I had no idea that you had a background in immersion as well. That is great to hear. Like you said, I really do have to think on it and decide what my next step is :?
FutureTeacher33

[quote="mrspepper"]I'm also a French teacher who is not a native speaker. Last year I began looking around for an International Teaching job and my hubby and I are trying to figure out if we're going to go all in and register with an agency this year. I have to admit, I think that being a non-native speaker makes it pretty hard to get a job (and I would say just about impossible if you're talking about West. Europe) in this market. By no means am I an expert, I'm just letting you know what I've seen during my half-derriered search this past year or so. Maybe consider adding an ESL minor? It seems like it's not a lot of credits compared to some other add-on endorsement areas.
For me, I'm considering adding something whether it be ESL, IT, Lib., or I don't know what. Le sigh...[/quote]

Oh yeah, I am definitely going to be adding the ESL courses once I get into my Master's program.

It does sadden me to hear that you aren't having much luck so far with job hunting. I really hope that changes for you as you realy get out there and attend the job fairs. The reality of not having a job scares me. I don't want to study for 4-5 years of my life and then be met with no opportunity once I graduate. :?
FutureTeacher33

Re: Straight

[quote="PsyGuy"]You have to pick one, your really doing to much a double major in language and lit, in a 5 year masters teaching program is really 4 majors (1 in french, 1 in english, 1 in education and 1 masters). All of that AND a family while student teaching (and dont kid yourself that semester your student teaching is an 8-4 all day, every day of the week "course").
You need to decide on one or the other. The amount of work you have to do to maintain Native fluency and be competitive as a french teacher at an IS is a career in itself because if your not working and living with french you have to make a lot of time to keep your fluency sharp. You need to spend a couple years living/studying in France or a french speaking region, how do you do that and your senior honors english paper, student teach, and study for your masters comprehensive exams (im just assuming you arent going to do a thesis) all in that same year? How are you going to drag your family to France for those couple of years while your studying?

I know several people who have opened up ESL and language immersion schools. What you need is a Masters degree, and LOTS of experience, and hopefully your masters program gives you some business/entrepreneur training/skills. If your running the school you need to be a good manager/admin, the subject mastery isnt as important (you hire teachers who have that). What you is a lot of experience in the business. Identifying the location, targeting your market, hiring your staff, and then delivering good value to your customers for their money. It sounds easier then it is.

which ever one you do you need to decide now, because the french cant wait. Youw ant to spend your junior and senior year abroad, which means you only have this year and next to get through your general ed classes, and a majority of your french major in the next 2 years. So that when your in France you will have the scheduling flexibility to take electives (because you will have a far narrower schedule of courses to choose from) and your education courses and/or French immersion courses.

FYI: If you complete your degree in France at a French university and pursue a H.Bach (Honors Bachelors degree) you can "read" (meaning take the comprehensive exams) for your masters at the same time, with no (or very little) additional coursework. The requirements are pretty narrow, but essentially the disciplines have to be the same (same faculty). So if you did a H.Bach in French Comparative Lit, you could read for the M.Litt (Masters of Literature) in your final semester as well.[/quote]

Thanks for your reply!

I do actually know what I want to do, but just not sure of the best way to go about it. I want to teach abroad for a while. So, that's the 1st thing I want to do after graduating, whether it be teaching English lit or French. Then after years of teaching abroad, I want to come back here and work on the French Immersion School project. I understand that for this specific amount of time while I'm in college currently, that to accomplish everything I mentioned, is not possible. However, I wish to do many, many things throughout my life, which a lot of people do, and I don't see why it seems to be pretty impossible to get 2 different things accomplished. (Not directed at anyone-just saying this is general)

@ PsyGuy, What do you think about me Majoring in French and minoring in English? That was I can do most of my French major abroad and be able to work on my English courses as well (not sure if I'll be able to do study abroad through Senior year then after that I can come back and complete education courses/Master's Program..but will speak with my school to see how that can work-I may not be able to do the 5 year program and may have to end up applying for the graduate program after getting my Bachelors).

Just wondering your thoughts on this & if you think this is a better plan?
FutureTeacher33

Oh yeah, something I wanted to add..

As far as open a bilingual schools (again, many years after teaching) will be NOT having a degree in Elementary education be an issue? Or should I be able to open my school no problem?
ringler24

Post by ringler24 »

The issue isn't so much the degree as it is gaining the experience teaching in the kind of school you want to open. In order to open your own immersion school you will need probably at least a decade teaching in an immersion program which will require an elementary certificate of some kind. You'll probably only be able to get that with the needed coursework. You'll need to move up the ranks in that program taking on leadership roles. You'll also need a degree in school administration which you can only get after completing a set number of years teaching. As I'm sure you know teaching in an immersion program is totally different than just teaching the language itself on a secondary level. You need to decide which way to go knowing that opening this school is a at least 15-20 years down the line for you. If its what you really want to do I think it would be a mistake to take the time first to teach a language internationally, unless opening your school in 25 years from now would work for your time frame. I'm guessing not.
PsyGuy

Replies

Post by PsyGuy »

Im going to start with the easy responses:

You dont need a degree in elementary education to open a bilingual school. You will need to be certified, but thats to get the experience you will need in primary school.

You will want to have an administrative certification so that you can get administration experience, but there are many countries that dont have an "admin" certificate, having a masters (M.Ed) in many cases is the "administrative" credential.

You dont need anywhere near 25 years of experience to open a school, 10 would be fine, and I know people that have done it with less.

Ok the hard question, what to do:
I almost never give direct "do this" advice, Im breaking that rule.

Major in english.

Heres why, of the two things you want to do teach and open an immersion school. Teaching is a first step, and its a regulated profession. Your first priority should be getting certified, which is doing what ever your schools department of education tells you to do, and those programs are pretty rigid. You take certain courses in certain semesters in certain years. Most of the advance "professional education" courses including student teaching are junior and senior level courses. You wont be able to do them as study abroad courses through your current university. Without those specific course, student teaching and taking your state exams, your school wont recommend you for certification. On top of that you have a family.

Very simply you cant do all that and spend your junior and senior year in France at a french university mastering the language and gaining native/near native fluency. I just dont see it happening.

I was really serious when I said you have to choose one or the other, because the time and commitment required to develop that level of fluency requires living it. You really have to look at your current university as a 2 year degree program and transferring to a french university to complete your studies and get a teaching qualification in France.

Do get certified in the US in French once your a certified teacher just requires passing the state test and showing your proficient in the language. You dont need any classes, and honestly college classroom language course or "classroom language" isnt very useful or helpful for anything past a basic or beginner level. You can learn the level of French needed to pass a state teaching certification exam with a minor, and even on your own, no classes needed.

So again breaking my rule here, academically do this:

1) Top Priority --> Teacher Education/Certification Program.
2) Major in English
3) Minor in French
4) Study abroad for a semester/year in France though your school.
5) Either consider the 5 year Masters program, OR doing a joint Masters, OR just your masters in whole at a school in France.

You dont have to give anything up, and you can do it all, just not all at once.
ringler24

Post by ringler24 »

Psy Guy- I said 25 years when I was factoring in the fact that she just started under grad, wants to teach French abroad, as well as teach in an immersion school for the time needed to gain the experience to open a school. If she focuses only on the immersion school it would take her 10 years less than that. You also didn't address the issue of her having no primary teaching experience. In order to lead an immersion school she would need an extensive background in immersion teaching as well as primary teaching.

You cant teach in an immersion classroom without fluency in a second language. Depending on how proficient you are now, without doing the French major I don't see how that's going to happen. Why major in English then? Also why teach secondary anything if you're ultimate goal is to lead a primary school?

I know Psy Guy always speaks with authority but take into account Futureteacher that he speaks with authority on EVERYTHING to EVERYONE. He constantly contradicts those who actually have experience or expertise when he does not. I would be wary of taking his advise. He just told you what to major in and the course you should take going only on people he knows who have charted a similar course.

I have a background in dual language/immersion teaching. I know people who have started dual language schools. I was part of creating this kind of program in my school. I have a Masters in Bilingual/Bicultual Education from a top school and I'm only tooting my own horn because he is speaking to you as though he is the authority on this subject and that frustrates me. If you want to email me with directly with more specific questions please feel free: ringler24 at yahoo dot com
ringler24

Post by ringler24 »

Also I'm not sure where Psy Guy is getting that you don't need any language courses in order to be state certified on a language. That's not true of my state. You need more than just oral and written proficiency. You need language coursework.

Like I've suggested before, do your undergrad in the language and your masters in teaching (Elementary or Biliimgual Ed).
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

You don't need teaching experience to run an school, you need management and leadership experience. Sorry it's just true. Very few heads are actually in the classroom. My advice as written was 10 years of EXPERIENCE, please go back and read, experience does not include education/training.

There are many ways to develop second language fluency, classroom courses are the least effective at any level beyond the beginner. Coursework in a language fades quickly. No ones going to care after that ten years of experience how many classes you had in French, what's going to matter is your demonstratable, and practicle fluency at that and any given time. This is a lifetime commitment, you either live the language or you study and practice it constantly.

You can major in English and/or literature, and still do a primary/elementary focus in your teaching certificate, and request a primary placement for student teaching. The focus of primary education is reading anyway. All other learning development is secondary. Reading proficiency allows a secondary students to access the rest of the curriculum. Majoring in English in combination with the English education teaching track at her university will I'm sure prepare well to do as such as an entry level teacher.

My advice then to the OP would be NOT to get certified in your state ringler24.

Every state is different, a number of states including California, Florida, Texas, etc only require an already certified teacher to pass the certification exam to add additional teaching areas/endorsements/certificates. So once she is fully certified in her current state, she can transfer her certificate to another state that only requires passing the certification exam. There is no need to continue in a state that would require expensive and time consuming coursework to add a certification in French. No coursework in French is needed, though language certification tests do contain listening, speaking, reading and writing components, they are still just an examination requirement. Even so my advice is a minor in French, which is 15-18 hours. Many international teachers transfer and "park" their certificate/license in states (such as California) that minimize or eliminate PD/CE credit requirements for renewal purposes.
ringler24

Post by ringler24 »

Delete
Last edited by ringler24 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Incorrect

Post by PsyGuy »

Thats incorrect many, many schools offer an M.Ed in education leadership, etc, and no teaching experience at all is required. To get an admin credential she would need teaching experience in many states, though this isn't true as much at overseas schools.
Even in the USA you don't need an admin certification to open or run a school, unless it's a public school. Private schools, of which almost all immersion schools are don't require state certified educators or administrators.
FromPhilly

Re: Foreign Language Teachers out there?

Post by FromPhilly »

[quote="FutureTeacher33"]Hey,

I have posted here before and PsyGuy has been a TON of help-can't stress that enough. I have spoken with him in regards to getting my undergraduate degree in English or a foreign languge. I am really leaning towards the foreign language (based on what I have in mind for my long term goals) and just wondering if anyone here teaches a foreign language in an international school and wondering if you can give me your experience on how that has been for you?

Some other things I'm wondering is:
1. Has there been a decent amount of positions at job fairs?
2. Is the language your mother tounge?

And anything you can give me, again, will be helpful.

I am interested in French and know that I will need to fully immerse myself in the language to be truly fluent, so anything you can prove to me is appreciated. Thanks everyone.[/quote]

Im a language teacher myself, by training. Having worked in IB schools, it has been my observation that most schools select native speakers only. With that said, one of my previous schools hired a non-native speaker to teach a world language, but that was the exception.

I would advise doing a double major in French and Arabic, or French and Chinese, etc. Difficult but if you're a language person, that is where your talent is. You are much more marketable with a double language with one world langauge being a majority language like Arabic or Chinese. If that doesn't work for you, there's aways the CIA, who needs Criticial Language Speakers (if you are American or possessing a permanent residency card).

Best wishes and best of luck.
FutureTeacher33

Thank you so much for all of your help!!!!!!

I am just going to continue majoring in English while minoring in French. As much as I would love to open a French Immersion school in my hometown in the U.S., it requires a lot of dedication career-wise that I won't have if I follow my true dream, which is to teach internationally. So, I am going to continue to work towards teaching internationally and hopefully, I may be able to open a school internationally. Possibly France or elsewhere? Only time will tell (and I'm not sure how hard it is to open a school in France).

Thanks so much for your help!
FutureTeacher33

Re: Foreign Language Teachers out there?

[quote="FromPhilly"][quote="FutureTeacher33"]Hey,

I have posted here before and PsyGuy has been a TON of help-can't stress that enough. I have spoken with him in regards to getting my undergraduate degree in English or a foreign languge. I am really leaning towards the foreign language (based on what I have in mind for my long term goals) and just wondering if anyone here teaches a foreign language in an international school and wondering if you can give me your experience on how that has been for you?

Some other things I'm wondering is:
1. Has there been a decent amount of positions at job fairs?
2. Is the language your mother tounge?

And anything you can give me, again, will be helpful.

I am interested in French and know that I will need to fully immerse myself in the language to be truly fluent, so anything you can prove to me is appreciated. Thanks everyone.[/quote]

Im a language teacher myself, by training. Having worked in IB schools, it has been my observation that most schools select native speakers only. With that said, one of my previous schools hired a non-native speaker to teach a world language, but that was the exception.

I would advise doing a double major in French and Arabic, or French and Chinese, etc. Difficult but if you're a language person, that is where your talent is. You are much more marketable with a double language with one world langauge being a majority language like Arabic or Chinese. If that doesn't work for you, there's aways the CIA, who needs Criticial Language Speakers (if you are American or possessing a permanent residency card).

Best wishes and best of luck.[/quote]

Thanks! I was considering learning Arabic or Chinese, but I may have to save that for a later time, doing the 5-year Teacher program and what not, it may be too much work. But I really do appreciate it!

Are you teaching English as a second language abroad?
FromPhilly

Teaching in France or a France School Abroad...

Post by FromPhilly »

Teaching in France is, believe it or not, an option.

I imagine you are on the younger-ish end of things? If you are under 30 (check that age) and a native speaker of English, you can teach as a co-teacher in a French public school. This program is called "Language Assistant". Perhaps the title of the program is off-putting (paybe you dont want to be an "assistant") but seeing what your goal is, teaching in France in this program may be the way forward. You do well there, and then visit personally every international school in the area for a job, and voila!

Buyer beware: having lived in Paris myself, and having worked with French public school teachers - let me tell you; it is no walk in the Bois de Boulogne.

I would recommend going for a small school in the campagne somewhere outside any big city. If you are a francophile like moi, you would have seen that movie "Etre et Avoir" Go for a small country school, like that.

You will find everything you need to apply on this site:

[b]www.edufrance.org[/b]

Also, for jobs in French schools overseas as a Blingual Immersion Teacher, try:

[b]AEFE or La Mission Laique.[/b]

In addition, Swizterland also may have a similar English-Language Teaching program in the Swiss Romande regions. Try the Neuchatel and Geneva areas.

If not, there is always the JET Program. Applications may be starting now. That is in Japan and is a similar program to the French English Language Teaching Program. Of course, Japan is not France (dare I say it - its cooler?) but it is a start. Make your contacts there and move on from there. Cf course, there are plenty of Lycee Francais in Japan, as well...

Ah - to be young and to have so many choices!

Bonne courage, ma puce.