What's Your Dream Job, and Why?

Regretzky

What's Your Dream Job, and Why?

Post by Regretzky »

I'm trying to narrow down the places and / or types of schools where I would like to work and, without any prior international experience, it's honestly overwhelming.

To those of you who have worked at an international school: What's your dream job, and why? I'd love to hear from you about anything (academic environment, quality of life, community, recreation, pay etc.) that makes a school or place appealing.

Thanks in advance!
PsyGuy

Sigh

Post by PsyGuy »

Our dream jobs wouldnt help you. No offense but you arent qualified, and you wouldnt get an offer.
Since you asked though heres my top 10 list:

1) AS Paris
2) IS Berne
3) IS Brussels
4) AS Milan
5) Stockholm IS
6) AS London
7) ASIJ (Japan)
8-10) In no particular order: WAB, Singapore AS, Frankfurt

Im kind of heavy on european schools.
ringler24

Post by ringler24 »

Ugh Psy Guy so arrogant! Regretsky seemed to be asking about kinds of places, school environments, or locations to better inform themself about what to look for. I don't think they were asking for a list of schools and certainly not your kind of response.
Regretzky

Post by Regretzky »

Geez - Thanks for the confidence boost....everyone has to start somewhere, eh?

I'm not trying to grab anyone's job, in fact I really don't care about school names. (I trust my hired associate and the interview / job fair process tell me where I fit best.) What I really want to hear is how anyone / everyone picks their top choices. For example, it looks like you value being in major metropolitan areas. Is this because of the atmosphere / recreation / travel opportunities of those cities, or some combination of those qualities? Or is school quality / atmosphere / pay more important, and can only be found in BIG international cities? In other words, HOW did you come up with your list, and what are the qualities did you look for in the jobs / schools / locations? I'm sure everyone goes about this process differently, and this forum is the best place I have to learn from others who have some experience.

So, to clarify, HOW did you come up with your list of top schools, not what is your top ten list?

Cheers.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

I think it comes down to region and lifestyle.

Well, thats is what is important to me.
WeDoDude

Post by WeDoDude »

So PsyGuy, you mean to tell me that working for DoDEA isn't your dream job? You going to work for your full 2 years, or are you going to bail after a year? How are you liking it thus far?
ringler24

Post by ringler24 »

Psy Guy has gone silent about his DODEA job since he would have supposedly been expected to be in his location. He's ignored questions here and elsewhere about how it's going. Interesting no?
PsyGuy

Sigh

Post by PsyGuy »

I don't know if it's my dream Jon yet, I haven't been doing it long enough yet.

I gain nothing by revealing anything about my position, location, or job.
Regretzky

Thanks..

Post by Regretzky »

Thanks CaliPro - Can you expand on this? Would you take a lesser paying or lower tier job to be in a better culture? Have you had experience with this, and if so, how has that changed your approach to job searching? Do you have strict criteria for schools / regions, or trust your instinct to some degree?

How about you WeDoDude?

I appreciate any tips you guys might have to offer...
overseasvet2

dream job

Post by overseasvet2 »

We've always said we'd be happy if we liked both the school culture and the culture of the greater community. Satisfaction with each depends on the individual. We prefer a happening city where we can easily detach from the fishbowl of school. It often boils down to the age old question....little fish in a big pond or big fish in a little pond.
antitravolta

Post by antitravolta »

I'll preface by saying I haven't taught overseas yet, but I think this will always be very personal depending on your situation. I'm unattached and would like to knock out student loan debts so money's a bigger priority for me than it likely will be later. If I can accumulate enough money, I probably wouldn't care what I make in a nice international school in Europe later in my career as long as I'm happy. If I had kids, the surrounding community and school options would be a much bigger priority. If I had a trailing spouse, opportunities for the spouse might be a bigger priority. I'm sure there's some common factors for everybody (good administration, fun community, none of us would turn down extra money, etc.) but I see this as always being very personal.
WeDoDude

Post by WeDoDude »

PsyGuy, I just asked how you were liking it thus far? I didn't ask you anything about where you work, I really don't care, just curious as to your thoughts about DoDEA thus far...
bish180b

Post by bish180b »

even though you may be in a location you love, working hard for average money becomes old after a while.
Roberto

dream job

Post by Roberto »

My dream job would be a 2nd tier school with a multi-national staff, multi-national students in an outdoors-like environment, in a relatively safe country with a decent salary. The biggest issue is having good leadership. Without a good director it doesnt matter where you land... it will suck. Good directors can bring in a ¨flavorful¨ staff. Euro schools are harder to save money and from what I can judge through my limited observations: folks there are uptight and presumptuous at best. There seems to be a kind of climate created by certain socio-cultural groups that range from phony to boring to insulting.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@WeDoDude

I had a couple of incorrect misperceptions. A couple that were validated.

@Regretzky

My apologies, I didnt even fully read your post, I got to point A, and just assumed the rest of your message. Im Sorry , if I offended you. Let me address your questions:

DoDDS isnt my dream job, its the job that allows me the best opportunity to live my dream lifestyle (well realistic dream, hot tubs and super models not with standing). I hope I answered that part of your question?

My list is primarily europe and major metropolitan cities for a couple of reasons:

1) I have a couple of minor preexisting medical conditions, that wouldnt be covered or would be excluded under the private group insurance of most ISs in Asia. Socialized medical programs in Europe will accept and treat anything and everything.
In the same breath Europe has a pension system, that outside of a few countries in Asia, doesnt exist, or wouldnt provide a lifestyle I want to live. In many asian countries retired parents simply become a financial and care burden of their children. Some schools make up for this by giving you a bonus you can invest, but its typically insufficient in my opinion, and carries real risks as far as investing.

2) Europe has a lower assimilation barrier, most countries spend some part of the mandated education program studying english, so communication is a lot easier. Additionally, its easier to find various things in european countries then asia. Not that you cant find them in the larger cities, or they arent available, just easier to find.

3) Transportation options are more prevalent in large cities. Typically a rural city will have a local bus system, and taxies for local travel, and a train for across country travel. In a metropolitan city you have air travel and a metro/light rail system.

4) Larger metropolitan cities offer far better and numerous night life and social options. Im all for the 'outdoors' or a day at the beach but friday night, I really only have one entertainment thought on my mind.

My rule is always choose location and region over school. A great city can make up for a bad school, and cities are more stable then schools. What is a great school one year, can get a new head and turn around for the worse overnight. Even if you do have a bad school, well your no different then anyone else who dislikes their job, but then leaves work, and lives in an amazing city/region. If you live in a sucky city but a good school, then school becomes your life, and thats not a life i want to live.