Principal Training Center and admin jobs - worth the $?

Curious

Principal Training Center and admin jobs - worth the $?

Post by Curious »

There have been some messages regarding how best to break into admininstration. I have thought about taking summer courses at PTC in either Miami or London, but I am unsure. Some random comments:

1. It seems like a lot of money to spend for some 'cram' course (over 2K) for a week.

2. Their certificate doesn't carry any weight and won't be recognized in the U.S. in a public school system if you decide to go back some day. I imagine it would the same issue for Canada, Australia, etc. etc.

3. It seems like many, if not most, of the APs (or principals) I have met overseas have little or no admin experience and NO admin degree or advanced certificate from their country of origin. That doesn't mean that they are bad or not qualified. However, if I can 'break' into an AP job or admin job without a certificate or through my hard work and involvement in leadership activities, why should I spend thousands of dollars for PTC?
I also think you have to in the right place at the right time and that luck plays a part in this. It seems like a lot of APs and sometimes principals are hired from within the school.

4. A positive point I have heard about PTC is that it is a good place to network as you are with teachers and admin from all over the world.

Your thoughts please. In the end, it just seems like too much money to spend.

http://www.theptc.org/

Post by Guest »

I can?t say much except I looked at this course and decided to do a Doctorate of Education instead. It costs about the same but the end qualification carries a lot more kudos (I think:lol: )

Check out universities in England such as Durham, Bath and Nottingham which offer international summer schools. You attend for 4 weeks in July or August. Coursework is tough and most students take 3-5 years to complete. You need to do 6 x 5000 word assignments, a 60 000 word thesis and a Viva.

If you have an EU passport you pay less.

Good luck
PTC dude

Post by PTC dude »

PTC courses vary although many are very very good - but any PTC qualification / certificate is worthless so not worth the money. If you want to be an administrator, build your CV by starting at a less popular school and/or in a less popular place and work up.